Portable Emergency AA Battery Charger Extender suitable for the Garmin EDGE 500 - with Gomadic Brand TipExchange Technology
|Price:||$19.51 + $2.11 shipping|
This item at this price, sold by Amazon.com, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members.Prime free trial and invitee customers: We will automatically apply an Amazon.com Gift Card to your Gift Card Balance in the amount equal to the Prime exclusive discount after you become a paid Prime member. If you cancel your paid Prime membership or return the qualifying smartphone within the first 3 months of your paid Prime membership, we may void your Gift Card or charge you in the amount of the Gift Card. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Specification: Input Voltage (4 X AA Batteries), Cable length (6 inches), Dimensions (5.0 X 1.5 X 0.75 inches), Circuit Design (Garmin EDGE 500 specific), TipExchange enabled (Yes)
- Integrated circuitry regulates output voltage specific to the Garmin EDGE 500. Advanced logic maximizes overall charger efficiency.
- Built using the unique Gomadic TipExchange Technology that protects your investment by providing the ability to upgrade charging ports by simply swapping physical connectors.
- The rugged composite design is built to last. This product is backed by our comprehensive Gomadic Lifetime Warranty.
- This Gomadic Battery Pack is uniquely designed to work with both standard (e.g. alkaline) and/or rechargeable AA batteries.
Customers also shopped for
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
There are always times when our Garmin EDGE 500 seems to run out of power at the most inopportune times. Without a conventional charging source in sight, we are often left with no recourse other than to let the battery run out. Enter the Gomadic Portable Emergency AA Battery Charger for the Garmin EDGE 500. Simply insert a fresh set of batteries into the battery pack, toggle the on/off switch and connect your Garmin EDGE 500. Instantly the device will start to charge and you will be up and running again. Backed by our Gomadic Lifetime Warranty and over 10 years of innovation in charging accessories, we think you will find this to be one of your favorite accessories!
Top customer reviews
Finally, if you google this garmin edge 500 issue it looks like the special sauce is a 'power only' usb cable so you may be able to get the same result by acquiring the right cable for your power source.
The 500 has a long battery life anyway, I've used it for 4 double centuries now, but as I look to do more, I wanted to make sure that I had a solution to power/charge the unit without ending the recording of my ride. I did a test ride and it passed with flying colors:
- If I'm already recording a ride and connect the Gomadic, does the Garmin still record the same ride? Yes.
- If I then disconnect the Gomadic, does the Garmin still record the same ride? Yes. (In fact, when I disconnected the Gomadic, the Garmin put an on-screen message up that told me that I had disconnected from external power. Nothing changed with the ride itself.)
- If I repeat several times, does it still work? Yes.
- If I keep the Garmin connected to the Gomadic, does it charge the Garmin? Yes. (I looked at the battery charge indicator, and the % charged went up over time.)
This does everything that it's supposed to do. For the "does it charge *while* riding" test, I kept it connected for a couple of miles. Realistically on a double, I'd probably charge at the rest stops, then disconnect. You can keep the unit in a bento box-type bag and connect it to the Garmin, but that seems somewhat unlikely to hold up for miles. If I were randonneuring, I'd experiment with longer and longer rides to see how well the USB connection to the Garmin stays put during a ride. But for an organized double with rest stops, I figure this will work great.
UPDATE: 15 hours into a double century, the Garmin battery was at 17%, and I had about 17% of the ride to go. I used the Gomadic to charge the Garmin, and in fact kept it connected for the remaining 2 hours of the ride, with no problem. It finished at 96%.