Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 13 reviews
on February 24, 2015
I really appreciate the research that went into the writing of this book. It meshes so well with my goal to visit where my ancestors lived. Now I know what details I'm looking for as I walk around looking at architecture. It helps to have the map that is included handy to refer to when reading the walking directions. I also am experimenting with recording my voice while reading the directions for my own "audio walking tour". This book would be ideal as an audio recording.
on September 10, 2016
I love this book! I have taken one of the urban hikes and was impressed by the extent of details. Everything you see along the hike is pointed out,
explained, & commented on. Couldn't be more pleased with this purchase.
on October 29, 2008
Much like her earlier book, Portland Hill Walks, this is much more than a list of scenic strolls through Portland and its suburbs. She gives an amazing amount of detail on the history of the locations, architecture of its buildings, and other interesting bits of trivia that even us locals don't know! She will even get down to the history behind a single house which might otherwise not even be noticed while walking by it.

Even better, without the hills these walks are more accessible to beginners.
on October 24, 2009
Can't say enough about this volume and Laura Foster's earlier Portland Hill Walks: Twenty Explorations in Parks and Neighborhoods. As a two-week vacation traveler to Portland this past summer, these two books were constantly with me along the way on my numerous walks and hikes throughout the city. Portland is blessed with some wonderfully unique neighborhoods, each with layers of fascinating history and replete with charm and character. And thanks to the city's outstanding public transit system, the majority of these hikes are easily accessible without a car. Foster's books offer such interesting details of history, architecture, cultural and physical geography, as well as many individuals important to the development of Portland's neighborhoods over the years. These are such well-researched and detailed volumes that the reader comes away from these neighborhood encounters sensing that the homes and streets have been friends for years. I will use both of these books whenever I return to Portland in the years to come...there is still so much to learn about this great American city! I'm also certain that Portland natives could learn a good deal from making use of these. Thank you, Laura Foster, for two of the best urban walking guides I have ever found!
on January 11, 2013
We will be visiting Portland this winter, not the prime time for tourists, and not the best time for weather. Got this book and the Portland Hill Walks so that we could do some walking even on the dreariest, rainiest days, if we have them! Wishing they came with a full map though. My quick read/look through this book has caught my interest with lots of interesting facts that we'll be sure to enjoy as we explore Portland.
on December 9, 2016
WOW What a GREAT book! Can't wait to travel to Portland to start exploring! Loved the book - Love the city!
on March 21, 2009
Laura Foster has put out two fantastic books about Portland walks. This is her latest one and it's terrific. The walk descriptions are like little history and architecture lessons. The neighborhoods she selected are mostly SE and NE Portland. Inner SE is well represented: Buckman, Laurelhurst, Ladds Addition, Sellwood, Sullivan's Gulch. Check it out all you urban explorers!
on September 23, 2014
You can tell Laura loves Portland as much as my husband and I do! Descriptions of the areas, what you're viewing add to the enjoyment. Another great additions to the books we already have, and use....extensively.
on November 1, 2013
Nice walks of various lengths and difficulty, with clear directions and lots of city history. We've walked from a lot of different books and Laura Foster's are by far the most interesting and least likely to get a couple of direction-challenged people lost!
on May 10, 2010
Some of our best senior walks come from this book. Lots of interesting information about the area we tour.