Amazon Business Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 STEM March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 84 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 206 reviews
on September 28, 2012
I decided to read Portrait of a Lady, by Henry James, after listening to a discussion of this novel on NPR. It was described as a masterpiece of literature. So I went to my Kindle and downloaded the "masterpiece" for 99 cents. I reluctantly prepared myself to work my way through one of James' dense and hard to read novels. I was in for a surprise. Except for James' preface, which indeed is a challenge, Portrait of a Lady was a great read. Written in the early 1880s, a time in when it was virtually unheard of to have a woman, let along a strong woman, as the main character in a novel. Nevertheless, James rejected this minimization of women, and took the leap. He describes our main character, Isabel Archer, an intelligent free spirit, with great creditability--showing both her bumps and bruises-- as well as the array of fascinating men and women whom influenced, or at least tried to influence her decisions. Throughout the novel the reader experiences an ever growing tension as to the degree Isabel will be able to preserve her independence. Will she succumb? What price is she willing or not willing to pay?

Henry James was well ahead of his times when he created Isabel Archer. Way to go Henry! I don't know if you would call yourself a frontier feminist, but I will.

Having said that, I hope male readers don't shy away from Portrait of a Lady. This is not a male basher. There are a number of strong and admirable men in Isabel's life. This is a novel about freedom of thought and action.
on March 26, 2017
I had to pay attension
on June 18, 2015
I enjoyed this story very much. The ending was a bit abrupt but in keeping with the story.
on March 2, 2015
A favorite classic.
on March 24, 2017
This book is in like new condition~I love it!!!
on December 15, 2016
I was not impressed. Very wordy about the scenery wish it had more plot.
on January 6, 2017
Superb writing by a master author.
on December 22, 2016
Wonderful book. As a retired English teacher, I am re-reading all of Henry James, This is what I enjoy -- re-reading all of the classics.
on July 29, 2016
The language is beautiful and held my interest.
on August 10, 2016
I like the reflection of the Mosad internal procedures on the one hand, on the other hand I am not a big fan of fictitious writing. Never the less I recommend reading this book, it looks like being loyal to reality in many ways.