Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 17, 2017
It came in perfect shape.
on April 20, 2004
My job involves working with men and women recovering from 'open heart' surgery. I've turned away from 'Critical Care' nursing to this post operative phase, thinking that it would help with my 'burnout'. But it wasn't so much the physical work, as my inability to protect myself from the bombardment of my patients energies. The hidden anger, that they themselves didn't recognize, control issues, refusing what to do simple suggestions and exercises that would be beneficial, i.e.'deep breathing', relaxing, visusalization techniques. All too often patients would be repeating behaviors that were not in alignment with a smooth and quick recovery. This left me frustrated and thin skinned.(Not to mention heavier). As the Cosmos would have it, I found this book, and Dr. Orloff's Prescriptions have done more for me than any "pill".
I now can separate myself from the 'angst' around me, feel empathy for my patients 'truth', instead of my ego's insistance on what that truth should be. After just one day of doing the first exercise, I returned home after working my usual 12-1/2 hour night shift feeling more energized than a 6 pack of my favorite diet cola ever did for me. Thank goodness for this incredible book and the sharing of such insight...Thank you Dr. Orloff! (review based on the book).
on May 15, 2012
Its a great read in terms of how to rid yourself of negative things. She talks alot about things that I am not sure I can tap into although I would love too. Seems like she lives in a perfect world.
on April 23, 2004
I had great expectations for this book as her previous work really touched my heart, but as I began eagerly reading (having pre-ordered it in anticipation), I kept waiting for it to grab me, to feel that "ahah!" moment. It never happened. Yes, there's alot of wonderful ideas here--but
nothing really new, nothing that would make me want to
read it again and again, as I did her last book. Perhaps I'm not
as receptive--I may try again at another time--but for now, I'm still searching...
on June 6, 2015
I do think Dr. Orloff is onto something with using positive energy to manifest. I don't know if I necessarily agree with her energy vampire theory, especially as she describes it. This book in particular was alright. Not bad but nothing special. Can help you harness positive vibes if you are looking for help with that.
on September 3, 2017
I’m seldom overwhelmed by a book but Positive Energy by Judith Orloff has overwhelmed me – but in a very good way. I started out reading the Kindle edition but am ordering the print copy because I’m making too many notes. The people that I have in my life want positivity and happiness – and the messages I work to convey in my weekly radio show is to help people understand that we can make positive changes in our lives to be happier and healthier. This book is a great resource for people who want to make positive changes in their lives – even if they are already happy, Dr Orloff gives great suggestions for ways to be stronger and happier.

The book give “10 prescriptions” to transform fatigue, stress and fear into vibrance, strength and love. You may be starting to see why the contents are overwhelming. That’s a helluva prescription! Here is the summary from the book description -
1. Awaken your intuition and rejuvenate yourself--and learn the cure for technodespair and overload from emails, computers, and phones
2. Find a nurturing spiritual path that fits your own beliefs and inner stirrings
3. Design an energy-aware approach to diet, exercise, and health--and learn how to avoid the "energetic overeating" that sabotages attempts to lose weight
4. Generate positive emotional energy to counter negativity
5. Develop a heart-centered sexuality
6. Open yourself to the flow of creativity and inspiration to achieve greater joy
7. Celebrate the sacredness of laughter, pampering, and the replenishment of retreat--it’s not selfish to take care of yourself
8. Discover how to attract positive people and situations
9. Protect yourself from energy vampires with specific shielding techniques
10. Create abundance and a continuing flow of energy

I could share what I think about all of that, but it would take a month, but since I’m a love and relationship coach, I want to focus on the part in chapter 5 about developing a heart-centered sexuality. I also know most people will likely steer clear of that topic.

One point I often make in my show is that the first priority is to work ON OURSELVES BEFORE getting into a relationship. And if you’re already in a relationship and you want to be happier, you can still work on yourself. Get to know yourself better, what you need, what you want, what makes you happy. Dr Orloff goes into great detail on this very same topic – and that we do NOT need a partner to tap into and to explore our sexuality. There is no reason to let our sexuality and our sexual side “hibernate” while we don’t have a partner. I think I cheered out loud when I read that part!

She talks about working with patients who has long shut down sexuality – for a wide variety of reasons and as a coach, I know this is much more common that people may realize or want to acknowledge. And it isn’t something that is “normal” or that “just has to happen over time”. I’m always so happy to see other people tackling this topic and offering help for people in this situation. She also shares many examples from her own life to help the reader understand that she’s speaking from experience. Listeners of my show know how much I value this authenticity since I do the same thing because I feel this helps the message resonate deeper with the listener/reader.

Dr Orloff is speaking throughout the book about all of these areas of our life from an “energy” perspective and I love when she says that our “sexuality recharges everything”. This is something I’ve focused on lately – that means your sexuality in a much broader sense than just sexual relations and intimacy. Its been amazing how many times I found myself saying “Yes!” as I’m reading this book. That’s kind of embarrassing when I’m in public – but then I have to share whatever part I was reading.

I think this quote may surprise you –
“Further, it may seem surprising, but even if you never have a lover again, you can still keep this energy center open. One nun-in-habit attending my workshop who’d felt a sexual surge while meditating was much relieved to hear this!” (p. 162)

I really liked these 2 Energy Truths and quote 2nd in a recent radio show –
Energy truth #1: Your sensual-self need not be condemned to dormancy or death if you aren’t in a relationship. Energy Truth #2: When you’re sensually in love with all of life (this azalea, that Siamese cat, the foam on a cresting wave), the more passion you’ll feel individually and with a partner. Even without a relationship, your sensual-self can be fed. However, if you choose to be with partner, you won’t arrive empty-handed, nor will you expect him or her to kindle a passion you already possess. (p. 164)

You will find exercises throughout the book to help you implement the content and to start making changes. There are various strategies and techniques with clear instructions to help you work through them – not just one or two. And near the end of the chapter there is a “treat yourself” section.

There is so much more but I want to encourage people to experience this awesome information for themselves. So, if you are interested in finding out how to have a more vitalized and happier, healthier and satisfied life – I think you owe it to yourself to read this book. And if you might think a chapter of sexuality wouldn’t appeal to you, veer out of your comfort zone and you just might be surprised.

Nikki Leigh, Love Coach and Host of Ready for Love Radio
on February 6, 2016
Recently sustained a sports related injury playing golf. This time off my feet allow me to read this inspirational book. I feel that I have been inspired to make a good life better. I saw the injury as an opportunity to walk slower, take time to be mindful and observe the world around me. Although in pain and walking with a cane, I found myself energized and clear after reading this book. When I finally recovered from my injury, I found I had learn a lot of life lessons that could carry me through life's challenges.
on September 5, 2016
I’m coming late to this book, but the material is still relevant enough for me to have read parts of it out loud to some relatives I visited over the weekend. One was an elderly woman who knows she’s letting worry, anger and brooding get the best of her, making her so negative and critical at times that she drives loved ones away. I read the 4th prescription/chapter to her: Generate Positive Emotional Energy to Counter Negativity, focusing on the section "Seven tactics for de-energizing fear." And for the family member who is taking care of that woman and feeling drained, I shared the 9th Prescription: Protecting Yourself From Energy Vampires. And as I went over the 9th, I realized how different the last 20 years of my own life would’ve been if I’d read it sooner. The chapter helps you identify the various kinds of life-suckers...and avoid getting fang marks. The tools for recognition and language/actions for dealing with it are completely practical.

This isn't a lightweight "stay-positive" book that just consists of a lot of affirmations (although mantras can be helpful!); it's more like a handbook for managing your life force--variously conserving it, building it, replenishing it, protecting it, and so on. I think anyone who feels temporarily overwhelmed or chronically drained will find it worth reading. It would be especially helpful for people who are naturally very empathetic and end up absorbing negativity around them. In fact, the author considers support so important for these people (whom she calls Intuitive Empaths), that she poses some questions early on for the reader to see if they identify with this personality. Some of the questions are: Have you been labeled overly sensitive? Do you get burned out by groups and require a lot of time alone to revive? Are you hypersensitive to noise, scents, or excessive talking?....but again, even if you don’t absorb like an empath and are just facing conflicts or feeling run-down and half-alive, there are tools here to keep you centered and rejuvenate you. All of this is grounded in respecting your intuition and energy.

The scope of the book as a whole feels balanced between proactive and reactive/coping strategies; the ten prescriptions address both the phenomena that can sap our vitality and ways we can bolster it to begin with. Instead of just being abstract or philosophical, there are action steps sprinkled liberally throughout, called "Make Changes Now, and an appendix of positive energy exercises sorted by category ("To Nurture Creativity," To Release Anger," etc.). Between the prescriptions as an organizing principle and the celebrities--from Rosa Parks to Quincy Jones--sharing their keys to living positively, the format was interesting, too.
on July 3, 2015
This is yet another fantastic book written by Dr. Judith Orloff. If you are not familiar with the author, nor the field of energy psychology, reading this book will be an absolute treat. And if you are familiar with the aforementioned, you have an idea what to expect, and this book lives up to its billing.

Essentially the book provides several areas in which one can develop a better experience of positive energy. Some of these areas include exercise and diet, combating negative energy (such as fear), sexuality, spirituality, and one of the great staples in Dr. Orloff's books: dealing with "energy vampires" (trust me, you will be able to relate).

Instead of doing a book review, which I'm sure many can find here I will just share the topics that helped me the most. One subject that helped me greatly was the chapter on "Generating Positive Energy to Counter Negativity". I've come to the understanding in recent years how destructive a fear oriented life can be, and this aids in conquering the negativity of fear. Some suggestions include labeling your fear, countering fear with gratitude, and understanding the distinction of a fear based experience vs. an intuitive approach. If you struggle with fear, this is sure to help. This chapter also included dealing with self loathing and worry, two other energy draining emotions.

Another topic that affected me positively was the chapter on how to "Attract Positive People and Situations". In essence, the greatest thing I learned is that in order to attract what you want, it is vital that you become what you want to attract (essentially the law of attraction). By developing the characteristics you want to experience in your life with others, the first step to take in order to attract this is to develop these characteristics in ourselves. It's in accordance with the quote (I believe stated by Ghandi) that one must be the change one wants to see in the world. Powerful stuff.

The chapter that affected me the most I must say was "Open Yourself to the Flow of Creativity and Inspiration". Specifically the section that discusses developing positive energy at work illuminated me the most. I've been mulling a handful of career options, and I realized the one I thought I "should" do was one I never really could do....and I finally realized why. It simply does not energize me, and rather takes my energy away. This sounds so simple, but it is fundamentally sound and powerful. Find your path that energizes you, not just intellectually (as was in my case) but experientially (as was not my case);.Good stuff.

One last chapter that will help any and every one who reads this book is on the "Energy Vampires" near the end. Whether its the Sob sister, Drama Queen, or constant talker (there are ten she outlines in total) one can typically find a handful of such individuals. I also like Dr. Orloff's approach to dealing with such individuals: firm and compassionate, loving to both others and self. We are no better than any such individual, and many of us have been or are presently in such a category. But again, the essence is that such people can drain your energy and impede on your boundaries, which isn't fair to us. Learning how to deal with such individuals is illuminating...and in the best interests of both parties.

I could go on but I will stop there. I strongly recommend reading this book. You will find yourself feeling more alive and loving life at the same time. Isn't that what we all want?

P.S. If you like this book, you will likely also enjoy Emotional Freedom, and her most recent book The Ecstasy of Surrender. Thank you Dr, Orloff for your wonderful work!
on September 4, 2016
This is the first book I read by Judith Orloff, and it changed me. It brought SO much to my attention that I had never considered. If you're looking to start creating a positive lifestyle and really enjoying your life, get this book.