Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Possess
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star). See all 80 reviews
on January 1, 2012
I bought this book for three reasons: 1. I saw a whole bunch of bloggers get advanced copings and they all said they were super excited to read it and that it would be really good to read around Halloween because it sounds scary. 2. Gretchen McNeil was going to be at the Orange County Book Fair, signing and promoting her book on a panel of authors. 3. The cover is incredibly creepy looking! Honestly, these reasons aren't very good reasons to buy a book. I hadn't actually read a single review before I purchased this book to gauge whether or not I would like it. And let me tell you, my standards are not very high for horror books. If it scars me, I like it.

I'm not going to outright say it was a terrible book because it had it's scary parts like the room full of porcelain dolls scene. But I could also tell that it was a debut novel and the authors very first book. The setting was good, in my opinion, which helped to give it an ominous effect. I'm pretty sure is was set in San Francisco so it was always foggy and added to the whole creep factor.

The reason why it just didn't seem all that scary to me is because the main character never seemed genuinely scared. Bridget is very snarky, which I normally like, but if all this crazy demon stuff was really happening, any normal person would be scared out of their pants, instead of constantly making funny remarks. I would definitely classify this book as very light horror. Side note: what priest in their right mind employs the help of a teenage girl to help him exercise demons!?!

In conclusion, it was an okay book, but if you're a hard-core horror fan such as I, skip this book. It was disappointing. Another book added to the "don't judge a book by it's cover shelf".
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
0Comment|Report abuse
on December 7, 2011
Really, this book started off decently, but near the end I couldn't believe all the stuff that happened, to not give any spoilers, it was simply very predictable and the big mystery was solved so damn easily. It could have been a decent book, but the end was really disappointing to me. I would not recommend this book.
2 helpful votes