Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 331 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 661 reviews
VINE VOICEon January 21, 2013
Inspired by LA Times writer Leslie Gornstein's article "A Jinx in a Box," this horror film from Ghost House Pictures tells the tale of a broken family that comes under attack from a malevolent supernatural entity of Jewish folklore. Shortly after her parents (Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Kyra Sedgwick) divorce, a young girl purchases an ornate antique box at a yard sale. In the weeks that follow, the young girl forms an intense fixation on the box, her behavior growing increasingly bizarre as she falls into the grip of a diabolical apparition. When the girl's father discovers that the relic is in fact a holding cell for the disconnected soul of a deceased person who has been denied entry into the afterlife and needs a human host to inhabit, he fights to rid her of the evil that threatens to consume her body and soul.

I really enjoyed this movie, it was a lot better than I expected. I thought Jeffrey Dean Morgan did a excellent job and Natasha Calis was wonderful as Em, the daughter who becomes obsessed with the box. It's not your typical ghost story and I think because Sam Raimi was one of the producers, people expected it to be really, really scary and while it was scary, it doesn't have a lot of blood and gore. It reminds me of Drag Me to Hell, which was another Sam Raimi movie that wasn't really bloody or gory but yet it was scary and really good as well. The ending makes me wonder if there will be a part 2.

Give this movie a chance, I think if you watch it with a open mind, you will be pleasantly surprised at how good it really is and it will also make you think twice about buying stuff from a yard sale!
on March 23, 2013
I think this movie was fantastic. The slow build of what the demon was doing to Emily, the daughter, was excellently done. She didn't open the box and automatically become possessed; it was a slow build as it would be if a real possession were occurring. The way they made the special effects that were used with the girl's eyes were a fantastic touch. So often in these films you see the person's eyes roll in the back of their head but this time each moved independently of each other and they were moving sideways rather than up/down which added an air of creepiness to it, I think that's a good term here.
I know some people will complain about the lack of blood & gore but personally I found the amount used in this film were perfect; after all, blood and gore doesn't make a horror movie good; it's what is left to your imagination such as when they don't show very much of what happened to Emily's teacher that makes a horror movie special. I've seen many movies that had a ton of blood/gore and the movie was completely horrible, such as the Evil Dead movie.
In closing I'll say this; it isn't often that a horror movie or a movie in general leave me with the chills after it's done being watched but this film actually did. The man who played the father, who also happened to play the dad in the Supernatural series, really knows how to work the facial expressions and emotions; the way he looked when his daughter was fighting the possession and when he first figured out it wasn't human it added something special to the movie; that really tugged at your heart strings & believe me, that isn't easily done; especially in this day & age with the movie industry. I would highly recommend this movie.
on March 8, 2013
Immediately, I thought that Javier Bardem was in this film as the father character. I guess it's really Jeffrey Dean Morgan, a "poor man's" Bardem, although Mr. Morgan is pretty good here, at least with what he has to work with.

Why is it that nowadays, most male leads in film have to be these overly sensitive whimps? It's actually getting a little irritating and distracting. And this trend continues here with Mr. Morgan's character. Yeah, he's strong I suppose when he needs to be, but for the most part, he just lays down and allows the rest of the cast -- mostly female -- to dominate the story. I'm sure that this is the way that the director wanted it, perhaps to pull in more of a female audience, but that doesn't mean that I had to like it. Where's Javier when we need him, the guy in "No Country for Old Men"? Now THAT was a strong male character. OK, you're right; perhaps he was a little too strong.

But besides this major complaint, this film is actually pretty decent. The possession scenes are actually pretty scary, and I jumped a few times when I expected members of the family to get whacked. And I really liked the idea that the exorcist character was Jewish. After all, Satan is an equal-opportunity destroyer. Why do the Christians get to have all the fun?

What's the theme of the movie? Well, I'm not exactly sure. But I can give you a couple of morals. 1. Don't put your hand in the cookie jar. It may ruin more than just dinner. 2. Don't dial and drive. You might get more than just a ticket.

Probably more like a 3.5, but I'll round up today since I had a few good frights and I was mostly entertained. But can we get some strong male leads again already?
on September 12, 2014
Quick story recap: The wine cabinet from hell terrorizes people who have it in their possession. A family buys it a garage sale and the results are disastrous for their child who really explores the cabinet.

I think this movie is an attempt at being "The Exorcist" for a modern audience. It says based on a true story but the only "true" part is the wine cabinet which is a debatable "truth" as well. The movie is entertaining though. It is well casting and acting is very good. I though the pace of the movie seemed appropriate. It has some freaky moments. It also has some moments that leave you with a feeling of "Oh come on now, that's ridiculous": Not a movie of the year, nor will it be one you must see or must own a copy of. But, hey if horror is your genre or it's Halloween night, it's a decent way to kill time.
on April 6, 2016
Not your typical horror/possession movie. Very good acting and a really interesting story line. If you like horror movies with a story and not just a hack/slash film you should check this one out. You won't be disappointed.
on September 7, 2014
This is a good old-fashioned fright-fest that'll have you looking closely before you buy anything at the next garage sale. It's especially frightening when you realize it's based on a true story! Jeffrey Dean Morgan is excellent as a divorced father trying to repair his relationship with his young daughters. During one weekend sleepover he allows his daughters to buy some items at a garage sale, one of which turns out to be a dybbuk box (a box designed to keep captive an evil spirit), and creepiness ensues! This is a movie that has special effects but doesn't depend exclusively on them to deliver the scares. It was executive produced by Sam Raimi, so if you're an "Evli Dead" fan, you'll love it, though this does not have the campiness of the Evil Dead movies.
on May 25, 2017
This movie scares the crap out of you the entire time you watch it. I will surely have nightmares tonight.
on May 1, 2013
They built up the tension not just through the spooky stuff going on, but because of the situation between the parents. Sometimes you weren't sure what was real and what wasn't because there was some emotional family drama going on, too. Good special effects and a few interesting jump scenes.

Supernatural fans will think it's funny that John Winchester can't sort out a demon on his own.
on February 6, 2013
Some people act as if puking is a sign of Satan. Really? If that is the big deal for the devil then I guess millions of people are possessed after they have been out drinking too much, or eating bad seafood. Come on! Don't disrespect this unique and well made movie because the little girl didn't puke green pea soup or get busy with the Crucifix. That is SO 1973! This story was well written and the filmography was excellent. It had some intense scenes but nothing to make you turn away from the screen. I thought some of the graphics pertaining to the demon were quite disturbing without being plain disgusting. I gave it the full five stars because it -on its own merit- was an excellent movie. Yes, I agree that if we compare it to some of the more grisly offerings from 1973 forward it is not as SHOCKING --but not every movie is written for SHOCK VALUE. This was first and foremost a love story. I will leave it at that because I do not want to drop any spoilers. Listen, if you are looking for a lot of puke and demons speaking through kids to tell the parent that she wears army boots, this probably is not your best choice. If you want repulsive blood and guts, rent or purchase Descent and Descent II. Those are freaky, disgusting but very good movies. This one, I contend is very good, and quite freaky --just not disgusting. I would be willing to bet that you will not look down your throat in the mirror the same ever again. And every time you cough, you will think of this movie. Oh yeah. It's subtle, but effective.
on July 7, 2014
A movie said to be based on true story and i have little doubt on this fact. A girl asks father to buy her one antique box from a yard sale. And the story starts from this box. This box has a evil spirit and possessed the girl. This acted very well. There are not many character in the movie as the story does not require this. director is well experienced in making horror movie so has come out beautifully! Kept the suspense and makes the viewer occupied with the story till the end.
Please do not allow your young children to watch this movie.
I am glad with one fact that God's help is needed to cast out evil spirit ,this truth is exposed here! And this is truth!