Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer STEM Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 328 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 658 reviews
on February 21, 2015
Intended by the writers to be another classic horror story (supposedly based on a true story), this film fell far short of scaring anyone with its 2-dimensional production. I believe the screenplay was probably well-written as the story has potential to be terrifying. However, the direction and camera work is so flat, the horror-factor mis-timed and direction so un-original that I found little in this film that frightened me (and I'm a chicken at heart, especially for demonic entities). Key parts of the film seemed to copy other successful movies in this genre: [SPOILER ALERT] the possessed Em suddenly looks a lot like the girl on The Ring, the entity is a clone of Golam in Lord of the Rings and the final shot is a mirrored image of Jumanji (minus the beating drums).

I've given this film three stars because I liked the set (filmed in an old insane assylum) and the actors. The storyline is what carries this movie and in the hands of a more experienced director, would have been a great film. Watch this at home in the dark but don't expect to be scared.
on February 6, 2013
Some people act as if puking is a sign of Satan. Really? If that is the big deal for the devil then I guess millions of people are possessed after they have been out drinking too much, or eating bad seafood. Come on! Don't disrespect this unique and well made movie because the little girl didn't puke green pea soup or get busy with the Crucifix. That is SO 1973! This story was well written and the filmography was excellent. It had some intense scenes but nothing to make you turn away from the screen. I thought some of the graphics pertaining to the demon were quite disturbing without being plain disgusting. I gave it the full five stars because it -on its own merit- was an excellent movie. Yes, I agree that if we compare it to some of the more grisly offerings from 1973 forward it is not as SHOCKING --but not every movie is written for SHOCK VALUE. This was first and foremost a love story. I will leave it at that because I do not want to drop any spoilers. Listen, if you are looking for a lot of puke and demons speaking through kids to tell the parent that she wears army boots, this probably is not your best choice. If you want repulsive blood and guts, rent or purchase Descent and Descent II. Those are freaky, disgusting but very good movies. This one, I contend is very good, and quite freaky --just not disgusting. I would be willing to bet that you will not look down your throat in the mirror the same ever again. And every time you cough, you will think of this movie. Oh yeah. It's subtle, but effective.
on November 11, 2014
I recently watched a different movie about an exorcism, an ecumenical exorcism no less, which I found very amusing; especially since it was suypposed tone about the birth of a mythological Jewish demon known as a Dybuuk or something of that nature. It was like, hey everybody let's have an exorcism party, everybody's invited. very strange.

anyhow, I enjoyed The Possession but I wish their weren't so many convenient plot holes but it does work.
There are some glaring gaps in logic which I find impossible to reconcile; for instance, how is it that the evil trapped within the box can still exert itself to the outside world. In theory, the box is supposed to be a blessed, ancient Judaic holy vessel made specifically to contain the evil.
It's too bad the dentist get's killed; he and the mother were made for each other. She sounded like a real pain in the you know what. The biological father is a very likable fellow although the extent of his patience is unreal.

In the end we get a glimpse of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, the enclave of Orthodox Judaism and the scene with the elders is very believable and it makes sense. Deciding to hold the exorcism in the physical rehab room in the hospital basement wit all that screaming and mayhem going on is a bit ridiculous, I mean the entire hospital must have known something was going on but at least in The Possession it was a Rabbi who conducted the exorcism.

The ending is an unpleasant surprise, the death of the heroic young Rabbi who follows his conscience (and finds a loophole in Rabbinical Scripture) rather than chickening out is heartbreaking, but there again is the plot hole that runs throughout the movie.
on July 2, 2015
This movie came out some time ago and missed it thank god I did not pass it up this time. A superb supernatural thriller about a box that holds inside it an evil force that whoever open it releases a demon. Based on a true story this movie does so much with so little and you will never look at a moth again the same or if you happen to look at the inside of your mouth in a mirror you will think of this movie.
Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays a workaholic coach and father of two who fights for his daughters life when he cannot separate one of his daughters from the box that controls her. Kyra Sedgwick plays the mother who at first cannot believe what she sees and then is helpless to stop the chaos.
Such a good film.... before the Conjuring and before Insidious this movie set the tone of supernatural horror.
on November 2, 2013
I hope this movie gets a sequel for how it ended and with the great creepy premise of this film it deserves one. Great effects, great acting, very creepy atmosphere and a really good story. Hoping for a part 2.
on December 8, 2016
This movie was way better than I expected, I try to watch anything with Jeffrey Dean Morgan in it anyway just because I think he's a great actor. The movie was done very well. It was actually more suspenseful than scary to me. The main thing I enjoyed was that it wasn't your normal hollywood "Possession" movie. There was no spewing pea soup, deep raspy male voices coming out of the female, no heads spinning, very original.
on April 18, 2017
VERY GOOD MOVIE
on April 16, 2017
Love it
on April 16, 2013
This movie was superb! Although the scares are sporadic, the story was intriguing and suspenseful. I was never bored. After watching horror movies for 40 years, I don't care for slasher films. I prefer intelligent, suspenseful horror with good acting and a great ending. This movie fits the bill. I recommend it for those who prefer stylish horror. Best of all, there are no vomiting scenes. I hate that!
on April 30, 2015
Scared the hell out of me.