Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta)
Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on August 31, 2016
I really did enjoy listening to this book so much that I couldn't wait to get back in the car and finish it but once it was over I kept thinking did I really like it that much or was I just ready for it to be over. I am torn on this one. I just can't make up mind on this one which is why I gave it 3 stars.

I found the bad guy very amazing up until the end and then I found him to be very underwhelming. I did love the science (well my idea of science) on both sides -- the computer side and the medical side. I also found her niece very annoying and felt they were tiptoeing around her about everything so she wouldn't get upset.

The narrator did a good job on the book and the characters and I have to admit I have heard other books in this series but I felt the author kept the characteristics of the characters that I enjoyed in some of the later books. They sounded like the characters I already knew except the character of Benton which I found this version different than all the other versions I have listened to.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on December 10, 2014
*Being Patricia Cornwall's very first thriller featuring the infamous Dr. Kay Scarpetta, she outdid herself because it was impossible to put down!........ When Richmond is being terrorized by a serial killer, one thing chief medical examiner Dr. Kay Scarpetta definetly knew with a certainty that after receiving and mostly dreading, the one phone call she wished she never got. The police were telling her that the killer struck again! Not being in her current role long, she was the Chief Medical Examiner for the Commonwealth of Virginia and as yet earned the respect of the police dept. In her mind it was the work of the serial killer but a very difficult and tempermental homicide detective by the name of Pete Marino suspected the victim's husband. With their ups and downs, Kay tried her hardest to explain that this killer was cunning, highly intelligent, probably knew forensics and did not by any means pick his victims randomly rationalizing that these victims have well known employment. One being a school teacher, the next being a free-lance writer and now a medical doctor. What do these victims have in common? Is there a connection somehow? One thing is for sure though especially with the media in a frenzy was someone is trying to sabotage the case and this is one more obstacle for Kay preventing her from doing her work. Without warning, her samples go missing, her case files are being tampered with, evidence is deliberately being ruined and now an unknown nemesis has gotten into her computer data. What is going on and who is trying to discredit her work? The killer? Her enemies in government? Her employers who would just love to see her fall on her face? It's not until the fourth victim that Kay enlists the help of FBI profiler Benton Wesley and homicide detective Pete Marino who now sees Kay with the utmost respect that he failed to address earlier. Together, the three of them will set a devious game of cat and mouse that no one saw coming and trap one of the most clever and alarming killers yet, but not before they have unleashed the whole and ugly truth for all those concerned!.......An absolute thriller!......thank you!♡♡
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
on March 10, 2017
Sometimes I can't stomach (no pun intended) these characters. Kay has a superiority complex, talks down to people. Very disrespectful. Marino has a foul mouth and is a know it all. Lucy needs some serious discipline and counseling. Kay is a hater and always speaks ill of her family. Their behavior takes away from a good story line. Not impressed.....
2 helpful votes
on July 19, 2017
Have decided to read the Scarpetta series from the beginning, so I started with these entries. The writing is generally very good, but since they were written more than twenty years ago, some of the technological and cultural references are a bit dated. Otherwise, an engaging and suspenseful read.
on May 4, 2017
I enjoyed this book which was the choice of our book club. We are reading award winning mystery books by women authors. This one had won many awards and I can see why. I would recommend it to any mystery lovers. I could not tell who the murderer was until the very end.
on August 11, 2017
Read this one because I had previously read Blow Fly and enjoyed it very much. Wanted to read the first novel in the Scarpetta series, so decided to give this one a go. It was very entertaining and worth the read. Her writing style became more sophisticated by the time she wrote Blow Fly, so expectations for this first go shouldn't be based on her later Scarpetta books. As in all things - they get better with practice!
on July 25, 2017
The book was good, I wanted to start at the beginning so I am going backwards. The reader wasn't as good as the one that reads her later books. You can her her taking deep breaths before she reads. Kind of annoying. And the voice she uses for Benton when she speaks for him is was too "hicky sounding"
on April 8, 2017
First book I have read from Patricia Cornwell. I am now a fan. Loved the way the story kept me guessing. Written well. Can't wait to read the next book. I would highly recommend this book.
on September 19, 2014
This is the fourth book in the Kay Scarpetta series that I've read having previously delved into "Body of Evidence", "From Potter's Field" and "Port Mortuary". I have flip-flopped from thinking that her writing is tedious to periods where I can't wait to see what happens next. Maybe she just needs a better editor.

But the fact is that I keep coming back. She knows how to tell a story and she is making the most out of her innovative slant on crime novels by bringing the reader into the story from the point of view of a Chief Medical Examiner. A good franchise to have.

This first of the Kay Scarpetta series has a freshness that is missing in some of her later books. It was like discovering a new writer, even though this book was released in 1991. The reader meets characters that recur in the later books. It's almost like watching a television series with a set cast of characters.

Yeah, I came back because despite the flaws I suppose Patricia Cornwell has my number.
on February 7, 2016
My very first Patricia Cornwell book. I looooved it. I was desperate to find a new crime thriller book to read after reading some from the same genre. I was always more fond of series books and wanted to find one that would keep me interested. This one is not disappointing. Patricia Cornwell has written over 20 books in the Kay Scarpetta series and I am so excited to read them all. Kay Scarpetta, a medical examiner, is a such a strong female character. I love her take charge attitude and the passion she has for her job. Though she does frequently get herself into scrapes, it just makes me love her character more. I will definitely enjoy reading more of her books in the future.