BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now FFII_gno

on April 1, 2016
This book shows (so you can decide if it matches your needs):
- A gender-less baby character (12 months to 24 months max)
- Child using a toddler potty (not the regular toilet)
- A naked baby with privates cleverly covered; one image of a bare butt (see pic)
- A dog and cat going potty outside and in cat box
- No actual poop or pee
- Baby running with toilet paper in celebration at the end (see pic)

The story, in a nutshell [I say he, but baby could easily be a girl]:
Baby has to go potty and wonders where he should go (in diaper or somewhere else). He asks where the animals go to the potty and sees where. He decides to try going on his toddler potty. You see a sequence of the steps (remove diaper, sit, read book, wait, wait more) before he succeeds ("Tinkle, tinkle, toot... I did it!"). He celebrates with his parents. Last page spread just depicts all kinds of underwear, presumably to help your little one can get excited about wearing them (boy and girl styles shown).

Verdict:
The book is adorable and I love the art. This book has short, simple sentences and clearly target the younger potty training crowd (definitely for under 2, though older toddlers may still enjoy). I'll working on potty training soon (hopefully around 18 months) so I really appreciate a young character. I don't see my son relating as well to preschool age book characters. We are reading this now, ahead of time to familiarize him with the concepts and he loves this one. I wish the baby in the book asked where his parents go potty and not just the pets. Though parents are easier to make a direct relation to, the plot does allow conversations about everyone/thing having a place where they go potty, and baby's place is on the little potty. Since we have dogs, that may help.

I'll be reviewing every potty training book I can get my hands on in the near future as I find the ones I like best so stay tuned!

Was this review helpful for you? If so, please click the "Yes" button below. If not, feel free to let me know why and I'll do my best to improve it. :)
review image review image
0Comment| 340 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2017
My daughter adores this book! The main character and the writing help her get into the emotions of the book. I highly recommend for kids around potty training age. The author also has other books - we bought "Boo" for Halloween and it's also great.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 16, 2016
We purchased this book a year ago when our twins were just starting to show some interest in the potty. I wanted to get a few books that would be fun tools to help teach them how to use the potty and this book seemed very popular with good reviews, so we ordered it along with a few others.

Potty is a short story with few words about a young toddler who wonders if he or she should go to the potty in a diaper or in the potty. The tiny human thinks about how cats and dogs go to the bathroom and if using the potty is the right thing to do. The pictures are pretty cute and my twins, who are now three-and-a-half, still enjoy looking at the pictures. This book measures 7 inches by 7 inches, has 28 pages and is a board book with thick pages so it's very durable in case your kids are still in the very destructive stage! The little person is also gender neutral so this book would be good for boys or girls.

This book is very cute but, if you decide to purchase it, you will probably need to do a lot of explaining as to what is going on in each picture. That doesn't bother me too much but some people may prefer books that have more words and tell a story. We also have Potty Book for Girls, The and The Potty Book: For Boys (I have boy/girl twins) and those have more of a story so if you prefer a potty book that has more words, I'd recommend either or both of those. This book would probably be more appropriate for children in the one to two year age group but older children might not find it interesting. My kids still like to look at the pictures but we don't use it much anymore although we read it a lot when we got it last year. I gave this book four stars because my kids really liked it, even if I am not too thrilled with it. It's still so reasonably priced that I don't regret buying it since my kids liked it and it helped them learn to use the potty!
on March 10, 2011
Ok, so after sabotaging my child's potty training by thinking that I could MAKE him sit on the little potty, my son no longer wants to get within 20 feet of a toilet. Yay for me setting us back 5 yrs! I read that I should start reintroducing the idea of potty training by speaking positively about it, reading him books, and just generally getting him excited about peeing somewhere other than his diaper. I read through reviews of many, many books for kids and decided on 3 of them. Heck, if I thought it would help I'd buy all of them! I got the books in the mail yesterday afternoon...and proceeded to read every one of them to my son last night! Can we say, "desperate mommy"?!?

Fortunately, my son (2.5 yrs old) loves to be read to and was thrilled to have new books. This morning I changed his diaper and put on his cloth training pants (much better, in my opinion, than disposable training pants because they give the feel of underwear, but the protection of disposable diapers!), which he happens to like wearing, and for the next hour and a half I offered the potty to my son several times. Each time he said no, I just said, "That's ok! Maybe later!". Each time he DID say yes, I immediately got the books out, and he asked for this book, "Potty", each time. While he sat on his potty, I read the book to him. He did this probably 3 times over the hour and a half and I was surprised that he kept his underwear dry this entire time (and completely shocked that he actually sat on the potty!). Then, he suddenly went over to the potty, and said, "go potty!". I think he was actually talking to his bear (that I had placed on the potty...another trick I read in a book), but I excitedly asked if he needed to go potty. He actually said yes, so I helped him get his undies off and he sat down and, again, chose the Potty book. We didn't even make it through the first page before he peed! I am so glad we got this book because it has helped to positively introduce potty training back into my kiddo's life.

The book is very nice because it has simple words. In the books for children that I have read, the vast majority of them are too wordy, and seem as if they are written for much older children (4 yrs). I would assume that the typical potty-training child is around the age of 2-3, and therefore benefit from easy-to-understand, short sentences or phrases, and clear, engaging pictures. This book has all of that, plus some extra humor in there for children who understand it, and adults who appreciate it.
11 comment| 798 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2017
This book may have actually gotten my daughter interested in potty training (well, that and bribery with candy and stickers). As others have said, it doesn't have many words at all... but that was actually good as I got to narrate it in a really goofy way that made my 2 year old laugh. The little baby in the book has a lot of cute facial expressions and feelings that I think she can relate to. It's not preachy, it's like a little story. And the payoff is seeing all the underwear at the end. Now my daughter loves "underwear time!" and is super excited to be a big girl. (contrasted with the hitting/spitting 2-year old terror she was for several weeks beforehand).
on February 19, 2016
Cute little book that was perfect for my youngest child. My youngest is 18m, and has the attention span of a goldfish with an iphone in its fin and an iPad in the other... 1second would be a generous estimate. So when he began wanting to use the potty, I knew older brothers' books, potty charts, and other tricks we used would be total waste of time and only lead to frustration on both our parts. I came to Amazon and picked this up after reading a previous reviewer's comments about the short nature of the book. Now, for my son, it still took a couple days to get through the book with me. Thankfully it didn't take as much time for him to figure out going on the potty = treat. And he still likes to look at the pics on occasion. So it was definitely worth the small price. If you feel a book is in order for your short attention spanned baby, I wouldn't hesitate to pick this up!
on April 9, 2017
Great book, Kids love it. I also bought for my son a very exciting reward chart from Kids Reward Chores Chart - 49 Behavioral Tasks in 6 Exciting Categories. "Thick Magnetic Board" that has a lot of different cute potty chores and this worked WONDERS.
on July 10, 2017
We have read this a million times since this summer. My daughter loves all the books by this author that she has read and this is his all-time favorite potty book. It's important to have a favorite potty book! She gets very invested in the protagonist baby's adventures figuring out whether or not to use his potty, and when he finally does, she gets super excited and yells YAY while clapping enthusiastically. It helps that that page has stars (he loves stars) all over it and it says "I DID IT!" which is one of her favorite announcements, potty or not. Oops, is that a spoiler? Sorry. We definitely recommend this one to all babies becoming interested in potties.

With bright colors, a cute character and a very funny story little ones learn that there is a better way than pooping in a diaper. There’s the Potty! Not only, no more diapers, but big kid underpants with all sorts of fun pictures on them. This is the perfect book for toddlers and even those tough-to-train kiddos. By showing what can sometimes be a whole lot of waiting, but a very ‘big kid’ thing to do, toddlers soon realize this may be something worth trying out. Without a doubt this would be my first recommendation when it comes to potty training books for kiddos. A fun story with a great way to teach little ones basics!
on December 23, 2012
Well we all know that toddlers have potty mouth. My toddler started this book when he was one, and he loved it then. Now at the ripe age of three and a half, a fully potty trained for a year, this book remains one of his favorites. He was originally attracted to the gallery of underpants, and he still loves it. In fact the early toilet training was his idea. Now he"reads the book" to his little brother, eight months. He points out the riches of underpants in store for the potty trained. Little brother seems interested. Great book.
on June 13, 2017
We all love this book! Our son started showing interest in the potty at around 18 months, so we bought this book as a way to introduce him to the concept. He recites portions of the book, his favorite being "aaa, oooo, haaa, eeeee!" when the baby is doing the pee-pee dance. In terms of teaching the potty concept, it shows a cat using a litter box, a dog peeing against a tree, and a baby using a potty chair - no mention of regular toilets, pee/poop (other than "tinkle, tinkle, toot - I did it!"), or toilet paper. But it is a fun and lighthearted book about the potty, which is exactly what we were looking for at his age.