Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
on February 7, 2013
I am an obsessed fan of Mizz Ndegechello. So my review should be considered pure praise. In late June of 2012, I saw her perform a few of these tracks live in an intimate setting at a NYC lounge. As I put the needle to the vinyl, I was put back in that dark club, surrounded by strangers, floating on the sound of her sultry voice. Me'Shell channels Nina with what seems to be an effort to raise the Jazz icon from the grave. It doesn't sound mimicked or rehearsed, which tends to happens with many remakes. It sounds like natural homage. Me'Shell puts her own melancholy touch on the works. The work is perfect. And every featured artist was matched perfectly to each song. Just perfect.
on October 15, 2012
I'm a huge Me'Shell NdgeOcello fan and, after all these years, she has yet to put out an album that doesn't completely surprised me. I may not like the album, but I respect her for trying something new. However, for Pour une ame souveraine I absolutely love it AND her for tackling an artist like Nina Simone and doing it in a way that is original -- but not disrespectful.

I highly recommend getting this album -- you'll find these covers to be unique, yet....very Nina.
on November 30, 2012
Meshell Ndegeocello does a magnificient job at getting over some of the raw emotion that Nina Simone, in almost a child-like way, injected into her songs. The album is nicely balanced with some old favorites and also some lesser known Simone songs. Some might be a little disappointed by the omission of "My baby just cares for me", but I don't think it would suit Ndegeocello's voice. If I'm wrong there, maybe she has a second disc of songs in mind? If so, very much looking forward to hearing it!
on November 13, 2012
This is without a doubt one of my most favorite CD's...Meshell has proven herself to be a dominant force in the music business. She chose some of the best muscians to collaborate with as well...what a treat. I find myself playing this cd almost everyday...Nina would be proud!
on October 29, 2012
MeShell N'degeocello suite to Nina Simone is a meeting of the greats to create glory. MeShell takes music recorded by the grand priestist of soul and stamped it her own. Still, she never overshadows Ms. Simone's original interpretations; she somehow blends to two to make magic.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2013
I am not sure what I expected, I guess more Nina Simone. Most of these songs are reinterpretations, and I get that... but mostly unrecognizable versions of her work. The variety of artists I did appreciate and will keep listening.
on June 18, 2014
Moving, artful renditions of classic songs memorably performed by Nina Simone. Meshell Ndegeocello again demonstrates her stunning artistry, personal integrity, and class.
on October 3, 2013
Excellent music that transports the mind to Nina Simone and greets the listener with a fresh wave of today! I will purchase more music by this artist!
on March 20, 2013
soulful tunes. liquid mood. dreamy sounds.
stirring.
beautiful music. love!
relax into it.
Meshell reigns supremely.
Meshell Ndegeocello is truly a unique artist.
on December 27, 2012
This CD grows on you and has many guest artists that add to its intrigue. The first time I listened to it, I wasn't as excited about it as I am after really listening several more times. Meshell is an amazing musician and chooses great material.