Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer reviews

100%
Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7 reviews
on March 31, 2012
An eye opening book that enlightened me on the both the power inherent in the executive office as well as the constraints built up since 9/11 and as a result of then president Bush's unilateral approach to attacking the terrorist threat. Of the endless books on current affairs and politics, this is a must read. Intelligently written, neutral and well documented it's a must read in order to understand today's politically charged atmosphere.
on October 21, 2012
This is one of the best, most thoughtful books I have read in recent years. The subject is timely and presents a unique analysis that I had not previously considered. Read it on my Amazon Kindle.
on December 26, 2015
Thanks!
on May 24, 2014
Since the terror attack of 9/11, I have been increasingly concerned with the actions of our government. The revelation of abuses at Abu Ghraib, the shocking stories of secret CIA prisons, and our policies of indefinite detainment and “enhanced interrogation” at facilities like Bagram and Guantanamo have made me wonder whether the cure was worse than the disease.

Jack Goldsmith makes a good case that traditional checks and balances are still very much at play. What we see in the media is that nobody above the rank of sergeant went to prison over Abu Ghraib, and nobody’s been tried for what in retrospect was probably torture in CIA prisons. I still find that shocking, but no matter how Teflon-coated our policy makers appear in the media, the author explains that behind the scenes each new scandal results in a flurry of activity. One of the results is that every branch of government has newer and tighter policies, plus a veritable army of in-house lawyers whose job it is to enforce compliance.

As we read about widespread NSA surveillance of our phone calls and emails (as revealed by Edward Snowden after this book’s publication), and as we see the defenders of those policies seeming to prevail in Congressional hearings, it is comforting to know that despite the appearance of unchecked power, behind the scenes these same people are scurrying to make their activities more acceptable to the courts, the Congress, and American public. It may be that in their minds it’s just window dressing, but the result according to Goldsmith is serious and long-lasting constraints.