Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star, Verified Purchases). See all 306 reviews
on April 29, 2017
I was not impressed with this book. I do a lot of non-fiction reading on topics like productivity, leadership, communication, etc. I felt like the whole time I was waiting for the book to start but it was mostly just fluff; flowery metaphors and quotes that offered no real substance. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is no new information here for most people. Half of the book is case studies from the authors' clients and the advice is usually incredibly simple and obvious. Tired and have low energy? Sleep more and eat better. Neglecting your family? Pay more attention to them. Stressed out? Take breaks and do yoga. Work life balance isn't about knowing what changes are needed, it's about how to effectively make the changes that are difficult. I felt like this was a waste of time. Your experience may be different. I'm surprised the authors have a successful business giving people such obvious advice.
on January 25, 2014
There are a few books in the time management / self improvement area that have a strangely high number of glowing 5 star reviews but that for me at least don't live up to their hype in any way shape or form.

This was one of them.

The premise of the book is that we can either expend energy in a linear or oscillatory fashion. When we use energy in a linear fashion (without resting between sprints) we fatigue ourselves. When we use energy in an oscillatory fashion (with rest in between major endeavors) we grow.

Though the premise seems reasonable, it's not in any way scientifically validated. First of all, the authors never really define what a linear vs. oscillatory energy usage might look like. Though they try to distinguish energy into physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual - the definitions of energy are vague at best and it is difficult to map any single action from one of their subjects 'case studies' into expenditures of energy into any of these categories - nor do they bother to get that specific.

The authors make some reasonable recommendations regarding energy expenditure. They note that eating habits, exercise habits, and sleep are at the core of a healthy lifestyle and make the usual recommendations regarding all 3: eat healthy foods, exercise several times a week, sleep 7-8 hrs / night.

I do have a problem with how the authors argue some of their points - they use a lot of fluff and pseudo-science, arguing for example that breakfast is a critically important meal for the day to eat well and that skipping breakfast is associated with being overweight. The reality is that studies on breakfast are a mixed bag and there are very recent studies that show no negative health effects of skipping breakfast - [...]

They argue that interval training for exercise is superior to continuous exercise (i.e. interval sprints over long distance running), I have no idea where they can draw this conclusion.

So there is a lot partially researched and sometimes wrong advice in this book which detracts from the message.

They have a number of 'case studies' or supposed clients who seem to be doing everything in their life wrong, practice eating better, exercising, and sleeping better and magically everything in their life from their relationships with their family to their effectiveness at work becomes perfect. These studies feel completely artificial. Even if they are real, there's definitely a lot of other things that their clients did for the turn around regarding using their time more effectively that is nowhere captured in the book.

This book goes on and on for 200 pages. It could have easily been a 20 page pamphlet or extended blog article and not lost of any of it's message and been a lot more credible.

FYI - there is really nothing in this book about managing time or workload more effectively. It's 100% a book that cites a lot of negative trends in american life and scolds you to eat / exercise / sleep.

At the time that I bought this book, I also bought perhaps a dozen others on time and workflow management. The best from the group that I bought are: Agile Results, Pomodoro Technique, Getting Things Done, Personal Kanban, and to some extent Zen To Done.

Agile Results is great and covers the need for eating / exercise / sleeping (in a lot less pages) and also offers a framework to prioritize and plan work for the week. I'd recommend this book first, but if workflow / time management is important, I'd recommend all of the above books.
on March 27, 2011
Don't listen to this book if you feel stressed out about work and hope to get inspiration and help to get on top of things. I did and I had to stop after only a few chapters since the author said that in order to get on top of things you need to push yourself further. Not a great start if directed to people who bought the book because they were struggling with stress. To the books defense, I did not listen to the entire book as it felt like one more demanding voice in my life. It may be a great help if you continue to listen/read the entire book and I know that others really like this book but I just could not keep on listening...
on June 14, 2011
I bought this book in hope of learning something new. All positive reviews influenced my decision to give it a go. I completely agree with another reviewer who said this book is all about common sense. Basically, you have to use your energy and make sure you recover it, i.e. work and make sure you leave yourself some time to play. Add exercise and healthy eating to it and bingo, you've got the power of full engagement. In this book, you will find pages and pages of examples from research and psychology of sports performance backing the idea of work and play.

Save yourself some time and money and just make sure you actually do it instead of reading this book. That's all there is to say.
on March 10, 2015
same old stuff I had to read for work for 20 years, not interesting and not really new principles.