- Paperback: 362 pages
- Publisher: Quest Books; First Edition edition (January 5, 1995)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0835606708
- ISBN-13: 978-0835606707
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 1 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 14.4 ounces
- Average Customer Review: 2 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,990,388 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Power of Place: Sacred Ground in Natural & Human Environments Paperback – January 5, 1995
See the Best Books of 2018
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I. The Meaning of Place
1. Spirit of Place in the Western World (J. Donald Hughes)
2. Reflection and Revelation: Knowing Land, Places, and Ourselves (Vine Deloria, Jr.)
3. The Living Earth and Shamanistic Traditions (Stanley Krippner)
4. Power Centers (Medicine Grizzlybear Lake)
II. Traditional Views of Place
5. The Spots of the Fawn: Native American Sacred Sites, Cultural Values and Management Issues (James A. Swan)
6. Sacred Places of India: The Body of the Goddess (Elinor W. Gadon)
7. Ancient Theaters as Sacred Spaces (Rachel Fletcher)
8. The Himalayas, Realm of the Sacred (Edwin Bernbaum)
9. Megalithic Sites Reexamined as Spacial [sic] Systems (Maelee Thomson Foster / Sara Katharine Williams)
10. Holy Wells of Ireland (Walter Brenneman, Jr.)
11. Sacred Geography of the Blackfeet (Jay Hansford C. Vest)
12. Garden as Sacred Space: Transformation of Consciousness at Tenryu Temple (Norris Brock Johnson)
III. Ancient and Modern Geomancies
13. Geomancy (Richard feather Anderson)
14. Befriending the Dragon: The Art of Feng Shui Geomancy, Interview with Master Lin Yun (James A. Swan)
15. Feng-shui as Terrestrial Astrology in Traditional China and Korea (David J. Nemeth)
16. Your House Cares About You (Peter C. Hjersman)
IV. Modern Science and Ancient Wisdom
17. The Ley Hunters (Richard Leviton)
18. The Rings of Gaia (William S. Becker / Bethe Hagens)
19. Earth's Environmental Fields and Human Health (James B. Beal)
20. Working with the Earth's Electromagnetic Fields (Elizabeth Rauscher)
V.The Spirit of Place in Modern Times
21. Design with Spirit: Interview with Lawrence Halprin (James A . Swan)
22. Circle the Earth: A World Peace Dance (Anna Halprin)
23. Making Places Sacred (Thomas Bender)
24. Spirit of Place: The Modern Relevance of an Ancient Concept (Kazuo Matsubayashi)
25. People-Environment Relations: Instrumental and Spiritual Views (Daniel Stokols)
It also explains the scientific basis for holy places and pilgrimages, the vibrational healing impact of certain woods and stones used in building; and arranging your present environment into a healthier place.
I was reminded of it when reading about the recent concept of "relocation therapy."
The summary of the book provided here by Lance M. Foster is also outstanding, as it lists the authors and subjects of the various essays.