Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 226 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 317 reviews
on March 21, 2017
Power Questions by Andrew Sobel and Jerold Panas is an excellent book that highlights over 300 essential questions that can lead to deeper meaningful answers. In each short chapter, they highlight a question(s) using their real life professional experiences consulting with hundreds of management teams. They go into detail on 44 of these questions and give a list of 293 more in the back to use in different situations.

Quite often I’ve been on the phone with a CEO or management team and you can sense they want to say more. A simple question the authors talk about which I’d like to use more effectively is “Can you tell me more?” Or when someone is complaining about someone and you need to refocus them on fixing the problem, “What do you wish they would do more of?”

Let me give you an example of a bad question [the authors agree] to ask in a first-time meeting with management:

“What Keeps You Up At Night?”

Early in my investing career I used to ask this question, until one day I asked it to an executive and he replied, “Son, do you expect me to tell you the truth? I don’t even know you”.

He was right. It was a stupid question to ask him, and I immediately took it out of my question set. Don’t expect a personal and real answer from a person you don’t have a personal and real relationship with. “What keeps you up at night?” is an impersonal lazy question to ask someone you barely know.

The first step to asking great questions is listening more and talking less. Power questions can be very potent and influential. Add them to your life.

You will enjoy Power Questions: Build Relationships, Win New Business, and Influence Others
on November 22, 2015
You want to get better at networking or overall hack a way to get to know people better in a short amount of time... so you think, "Oh my! I want to learn to ask better questions." WELL this is the best book I have found so far. It outlines a scenario, tells you what to say and why, and provides a practical scenario. I'm learning so much from this book. Some of the questions I use and it's reassuring, some I can't wait to use. Highly recommend for the business professional seeking solid insights.
on July 22, 2013
I have read most of the best selling books on sales and business management over the last 30 years. I rank Andrew's book in the top 5. He delivers current strategy clearly and concisely while introducing us to fascinating business people. One of the greatest gifts this book offers is advice on what NOT to do and what doesn't work anymore. His choice of war stories allows us to be a "fly on the wall" during high-level discussions where the conversations tackle some of our most challenging business issues. As he recounts these discussions, he clearly identifies the skills he is using, why he is using them and how they effect the outcomes. I was nearing the end of the book and patting myself on the back for buying it when I turned what I thought was going to be the last page, only to find that Andrew ends the book with an avalanche of more useful information. This book will influence the way I approach everyone I interface with, become required reading for my management team and sales people as well as be my choice for the next book club pick for everyone in the company. Thanks to Andrew for sharing.
on March 5, 2017
Asking the right questions at the right time can make all the difference in business and in your personal life. The book offers 250+ "power questions", that can be asked during interactions to effectively connect with people and win new business. I have been in sales related occupations for my entire professional career, and in that time I have learned that asking good questions at the right time is essential to success. It has been said that "timing is everything", I verily believe that to excel, more is needed than just asking good questions. I had very high hopes for this book prior to the reading of it and unfortunately I was a little disappointed with the content in this book.
on November 3, 2014
A inspirational read and fulfilling to use the information. Short chapters 2-3 pages each and rich resource for business and your personal life. Now I'm more about asking questions vs. telling what to do all the time. This book opened my understanding to the point I now relate to my adult son and daughter much better. I now ask them power questions instead of telling them what to do.

This book has helped me with all my relationships. Dating and relating, Power Questions is a must!
on April 8, 2013
The book powerful questions offers valuable solutions in a professinal setting. Some lead directly to the heart of an issue, some inspire people to talk what's important. They are valuable for anyone who seeks to advance a career, or build strong and deep personal relationp. This book is interesting and easy to read. Andrew introduces every question in a story, beginning with a challenge, moving to a solution, and wrapping up with a "take home question". The author also summarizes the questions up so it will be easy for reviewing.

Why I need questions? I find myself often trapped in this situation, sitting in front of somebody important, and after exchange of greetings, I can't continue the conversation anymore. Particularly so if when the other person is much more experienced or from a different culture/financial background.

Not many people can resist the opportunity to talk about themselves. The questions this book offers go much further beyond "maintaining a professional relationship." They open doors for new relationships. They are inspiring. some of them soul-searching. Overall, this is a valuable book.
on July 7, 2013
One of the keys to business development and client service is LISTENING. Listening is easy, fun and--most importantly--meaningful to your clients and prospects when the conversation shifts to their critical needs and values. How do you do that? Ask the right questions.

Power Questions enables you to deepen your connections and add substance to your conversations. The book is well written; the back of the book features about 20 pages of great questions, organized by category (e.g., Discussing a Proposal, Getting Feedback about a Professional Relationship, Improve Your Meetings, etc.). This, alone, is well worth the time and money.

I've used the book to build my business and relationships, and it's among my top recommendations for professional service providers.

You can transcend the superficial and ordinary by asking Power Questions. Engaging read & highly recommended.
on November 4, 2015
Both insightful and easy to digest, the information in this book, could be put to use immediately in the business world. I applied two of the questions to two different work scenarios and they both had favorable outcomes. So if you read a business book, you always need to be able to apply the theories and ideas. With this book you can.
on December 5, 2012
Since our grammar school days we've been told that it's more important to listen than to speak. That's all well and good, but how do you listen if the other person isn't talking or isn't saying anything worth listening to? That's where Power Questions comes in. This is, hands down, the best resource I've ever encountered for making conversations productive, interesting, memorable and, ultimately, profitable. Whether that profit is measured in dollars, relationships, personal gain or impact on the world, the interactions provoked by the questions in this book will shower you in riches.

If anything, this book can overwhelm you with good questions, so my approach has been to take just two or three Power Question and practice them for a few weeks until they are solidly in my conversational repertoire, then expand out. The impact of implementing the ideas in this book have been, for me personally, immediate and dramatic. I highly recommend it.
on October 18, 2014
If you want a better answer, ask a better question.

Power questions is loaded with great questions that will the person you speaking with to tell you the answers you are seeking to deepen your relationship or close the deal.

The best communicators ask great questions and listen. They are able to let people open up to them. This book will enable you to become a great communicator.

Invest in this book, you be glad you did. It works best if you read it along with the book, Just Listen. This book will be near me when I need it.

Invest yourself today. Go ask power questions and listen, for it will enrich your life.