Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 8, 1999
This book is a must have for anyone interested in realigning their body and overcoming injury. While most of us will never duplicate some of the more difficult poses, with practice - most of them can be achieved. The author makes it very clear that mastering this yoga work is not done quickly or easily. Do not buy this book if you are not willing to work hard. This book is geared mainly toward preventing and recovering from injury - realigning the body thru strength and stretch work. There is quite a bit of text dealing with injury and misalignment - explaining the benefits and process of healing. Also explained in great detail is the proper breathing technique for this practice. The breath is an important part of *heating up* the body. This heat enables the body to perform the stretch work safely. The only complaint I have about this book is that the picture labeling is difficult to follow. If the book is reprinted, this should be addressed.
on March 16, 1999
excellent treatise on ashtanga yoga and "yoga therapy", but the layout and labeling of the pictures makes it tough to follow. It should be revised in a larger format with more complete poses for all of the routines, and the picture caption labels should correspond to the pose descriptions on the text.
on September 2, 2015
At My age(79), lack of flexibility (why I bought the book). The postures are very difficult and unstable for me, also I am not going to spend 2 hrs. doing yoga. Yes, there are beginning positions, but, not enough, to make it worthwhile.
on September 19, 2016
I bought this book on a recommendation from my pain management doctor. I was getting cortisone shots in my back every few months. Since I got this book and started using the exercises I havent been back to get a shot in eight months now. The book is easy to follow with detailed instructions and pictures. I am the type of person who doesnt like going to group yoga classes and I prefer to workout at home. This book is all you need whether you have an injury or wish to just stay healthy. I highly recommend this book as it has made my quality of life so much better. Yoga for life.
on January 20, 2009
I own several copies of this book - primarily because I always want to have it at hand. This is far and away the best introduction to the Ashtanga Primary series and this book will change your life. I've been doing various forms of yoga for over thirty years and ashtanga has become my favorite form and this book is the best and most complete explanation of how to learn ashtanga on your own, in your own home, at your own pace. It covers the entire standing and sitting primary series and has a good introduction to the second series as well. For a rank beginner, this book will keep you occupied for at least a year.
on April 15, 2016
I read this as part of my yoga teacher training program curriculum. I have a lot of respect for Birch and her experience. Her axioms are insightful and eye-opening to how chronic athletic training causes imbalance in the body and how the heat and strength generated in regular ashtanga practice can help bring the body back into balance, restore flexibility and build strength.

What I do not understand are the copious and chronic typographical errors throughout the kindle edition. It seemed to me that the text was automatically transcribed without an editor to even look over it (!?) It was distracting at best and at worst unprofessional. Please fix it!
on November 21, 1998
Beryl has a rare ability to teach the physical and spiritual through words and pictures. I have really enjoyed her book! It was my first experience with any form of yoga and, solely through her book, she lead me through its philosophy and techniques, leaving no question unanswered and no movement unexplained. My body is handling my running schedule with much more ease and my flexibility is improving remarkably. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I only wish Beryl would do a video - just so I can see her in action and have something to aspire to.
on November 30, 1998
I do the Basic postures described in this book almost every day. I have done so for over a year and find it very satisfying.
The book describes the postures well, and the pictures give you a good idea of what you're doing. Sometimes it gets a little confusing, but if you work through it, you can figure it out. I also like Birch's other comments on Yoga practice in general. The postures cover a wide range of skill levels, from basic to challenging.
on May 15, 2013
This is the best, most complete yoga book I've ever read. It is available in paperback and also for kindle. The pictures show the exact alignment of the postures and how dedicated practice can heal the body and prevent injury. Beryl explains the right way to practice yoga and the wrong way. This book is great for someone just starting out in yoga, as well as advanced yoga practitioners.
on August 13, 2008
The book is really clear, with a good description of the asanas. The author give chances for easier position.