Truck Reviews Beauty Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 19, 2016
I bought this book on a recommendation from my pain management doctor. I was getting cortisone shots in my back every few months. Since I got this book and started using the exercises I havent been back to get a shot in eight months now. The book is easy to follow with detailed instructions and pictures. I am the type of person who doesnt like going to group yoga classes and I prefer to workout at home. This book is all you need whether you have an injury or wish to just stay healthy. I highly recommend this book as it has made my quality of life so much better. Yoga for life.
2 people found this helpful
on June 16, 2014
I enjoyed the book; didn't buy it to 'read' but to see about 'power yoga'.....I started yoga again after 25 years of doing other fitness stuff.

If you like yoga, and reading about Beryl Bender's adventures, and opinions I recommend you get this book.
It's been out for about 14 years, I think, so I am behind the times....
Even now, in her late 60s or early 70s (I dont remember her age) she is still fit. I saw a recent picture of her with her sled dogs, and she looks pretty good.
on January 20, 2009
I own several copies of this book - primarily because I always want to have it at hand. This is far and away the best introduction to the Ashtanga Primary series and this book will change your life. I've been doing various forms of yoga for over thirty years and ashtanga has become my favorite form and this book is the best and most complete explanation of how to learn ashtanga on your own, in your own home, at your own pace. It covers the entire standing and sitting primary series and has a good introduction to the second series as well. For a rank beginner, this book will keep you occupied for at least a year.
3 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2016
This was just what I needed for my yoga class. It was very simple and gives you a great background on yoga. It is informative and teaches things that most people don't know about yoga.
on December 26, 2017
Excellent book with clear photos and instructions on Ashtanga primary series. A very engaging book.
on April 8, 1999
This book is a must have for anyone interested in realigning their body and overcoming injury. While most of us will never duplicate some of the more difficult poses, with practice - most of them can be achieved. The author makes it very clear that mastering this yoga work is not done quickly or easily. Do not buy this book if you are not willing to work hard. This book is geared mainly toward preventing and recovering from injury - realigning the body thru strength and stretch work. There is quite a bit of text dealing with injury and misalignment - explaining the benefits and process of healing. Also explained in great detail is the proper breathing technique for this practice. The breath is an important part of *heating up* the body. This heat enables the body to perform the stretch work safely. The only complaint I have about this book is that the picture labeling is difficult to follow. If the book is reprinted, this should be addressed.
30 people found this helpful
on March 25, 2018
Great, practical approach to Ashtanga Vinyasa. Don't let the cover fool you - the text is still relevant, even if the cover and photos are outdated.
on December 27, 2017
Perfect for learning the Ashtanga practice
on May 27, 2017
The grand dame of Ashtanga practice for yogis, yogins, athletes. A thorough must-read, library necessity for Hatha yoga instructors, also.
on July 11, 2017