Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 19, 2016
I bought this book on a recommendation from my pain management doctor. I was getting cortisone shots in my back every few months. Since I got this book and started using the exercises I havent been back to get a shot in eight months now. The book is easy to follow with detailed instructions and pictures. I am the type of person who doesnt like going to group yoga classes and I prefer to workout at home. This book is all you need whether you have an injury or wish to just stay healthy. I highly recommend this book as it has made my quality of life so much better. Yoga for life.
on May 27, 2017
The grand dame of Ashtanga practice for yogis, yogins, athletes. A thorough must-read, library necessity for Hatha yoga instructors, also.
on September 1, 2017
I just take my time
on June 16, 2014
I enjoyed the book; didn't buy it to 'read' but to see about 'power yoga'.....I started yoga again after 25 years of doing other fitness stuff.

If you like yoga, and reading about Beryl Bender's adventures, and opinions I recommend you get this book.
It's been out for about 14 years, I think, so I am behind the times....
Even now, in her late 60s or early 70s (I dont remember her age) she is still fit. I saw a recent picture of her with her sled dogs, and she looks pretty good.
on February 15, 2017
got it for class
on July 11, 2017
Great!!
on April 7, 2017
Useful book.
on April 8, 1999
This book is a must have for anyone interested in realigning their body and overcoming injury. While most of us will never duplicate some of the more difficult poses, with practice - most of them can be achieved. The author makes it very clear that mastering this yoga work is not done quickly or easily. Do not buy this book if you are not willing to work hard. This book is geared mainly toward preventing and recovering from injury - realigning the body thru strength and stretch work. There is quite a bit of text dealing with injury and misalignment - explaining the benefits and process of healing. Also explained in great detail is the proper breathing technique for this practice. The breath is an important part of *heating up* the body. This heat enables the body to perform the stretch work safely. The only complaint I have about this book is that the picture labeling is difficult to follow. If the book is reprinted, this should be addressed.
on May 15, 2013
This is the best, most complete yoga book I've ever read. It is available in paperback and also for kindle. The pictures show the exact alignment of the postures and how dedicated practice can heal the body and prevent injury. Beryl explains the right way to practice yoga and the wrong way. This book is great for someone just starting out in yoga, as well as advanced yoga practitioners.
on January 20, 2009
I own several copies of this book - primarily because I always want to have it at hand. This is far and away the best introduction to the Ashtanga Primary series and this book will change your life. I've been doing various forms of yoga for over thirty years and ashtanga has become my favorite form and this book is the best and most complete explanation of how to learn ashtanga on your own, in your own home, at your own pace. It covers the entire standing and sitting primary series and has a good introduction to the second series as well. For a rank beginner, this book will keep you occupied for at least a year.