Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 47 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 82 reviews
on September 19, 2016
I bought this book on a recommendation from my pain management doctor. I was getting cortisone shots in my back every few months. Since I got this book and started using the exercises I havent been back to get a shot in eight months now. The book is easy to follow with detailed instructions and pictures. I am the type of person who doesnt like going to group yoga classes and I prefer to workout at home. This book is all you need whether you have an injury or wish to just stay healthy. I highly recommend this book as it has made my quality of life so much better. Yoga for life.
on June 16, 2014
I enjoyed the book; didn't buy it to 'read' but to see about 'power yoga'.....I started yoga again after 25 years of doing other fitness stuff.

If you like yoga, and reading about Beryl Bender's adventures, and opinions I recommend you get this book.
It's been out for about 14 years, I think, so I am behind the times....
Even now, in her late 60s or early 70s (I dont remember her age) she is still fit. I saw a recent picture of her with her sled dogs, and she looks pretty good.
on April 7, 2017
Useful book.
on April 8, 1999
This book is a must have for anyone interested in realigning their body and overcoming injury. While most of us will never duplicate some of the more difficult poses, with practice - most of them can be achieved. The author makes it very clear that mastering this yoga work is not done quickly or easily. Do not buy this book if you are not willing to work hard. This book is geared mainly toward preventing and recovering from injury - realigning the body thru strength and stretch work. There is quite a bit of text dealing with injury and misalignment - explaining the benefits and process of healing. Also explained in great detail is the proper breathing technique for this practice. The breath is an important part of *heating up* the body. This heat enables the body to perform the stretch work safely. The only complaint I have about this book is that the picture labeling is difficult to follow. If the book is reprinted, this should be addressed.
on May 15, 2013
This is the best, most complete yoga book I've ever read. It is available in paperback and also for kindle. The pictures show the exact alignment of the postures and how dedicated practice can heal the body and prevent injury. Beryl explains the right way to practice yoga and the wrong way. This book is great for someone just starting out in yoga, as well as advanced yoga practitioners.
on January 20, 2009
I own several copies of this book - primarily because I always want to have it at hand. This is far and away the best introduction to the Ashtanga Primary series and this book will change your life. I've been doing various forms of yoga for over thirty years and ashtanga has become my favorite form and this book is the best and most complete explanation of how to learn ashtanga on your own, in your own home, at your own pace. It covers the entire standing and sitting primary series and has a good introduction to the second series as well. For a rank beginner, this book will keep you occupied for at least a year.
on March 4, 2014
I got this book to replace one that my husband had worn out. He has used it routinely for his stretching exercises.
on May 8, 2016
This was just what I needed for my yoga class. It was very simple and gives you a great background on yoga. It is informative and teaches things that most people don't know about yoga.
on June 30, 2016
Good balance of yoga history, lifestyle, and practice pointers. Good tips for beginners without the use of props.
on November 21, 1998
Beryl has a rare ability to teach the physical and spiritual through words and pictures. I have really enjoyed her book! It was my first experience with any form of yoga and, solely through her book, she lead me through its philosophy and techniques, leaving no question unanswered and no movement unexplained. My body is handling my running schedule with much more ease and my flexibility is improving remarkably. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I only wish Beryl would do a video - just so I can see her in action and have something to aspire to.