Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 51 reviews
on February 5, 2010
I'd love to love these batteries, but they haven't solved the quality control problems. My first set had a cell stop charging after only a few uses. I had them replaced, but am still having problems. Used in sets of 4, one cell will invariably die out early. Since most devices won't complain since the voltage is still higher than 4 NiMH cells, that weak cell gets overdischarged. Then, it won't charge properly.

The Powergenix charger exacerbates the problem. It charges in pairs, but only has one indicator light. So put in a bad cell with a good cell, and it won't charge either. But put in 3 good cells and one bad cell, and the light will indicate. However, only TWO of the cells are being charged. The light turns green, but two cells are still uncharged. The dead cell can only be rejuvenated by a high voltage pulse, but you may not know which "paired" cell to charge with. Pair it with a good cell, and it will either not charge completely, or overcharge the good cell.

So now I'm forced to baby my cells to avoid overdischarging any of them, and possibly starting to mark cells and track them to find stragglers. Now if I'm lucky, I'll have ONE working set after buying two...and it's a laborious science project every time I need to recharge them to make sure I actually get out anything useful. Maybe if I'm lucky the remaining cells will put themselves out of my misery
1111 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2010
There are basically two reasons for using this chemistry, environmentally friendly and higher voltage. An advantage to this chemistry compared to regular Ni-MH is that it has a low self-discharge rate. Reportedly, similar to the low self discharge Ni-MH batteries. The higher voltage may or may not be suitable for any particular device. I suggest that things with high current draw or that were designed for 1.5 V alkaline cells will like the higher voltage. Flashes (more on that later) and digital cameras are good candidates.

The down side is that NiZn do not have quite as much capacity as Ni-MH, even when the higher voltage is factored in. The other negative is that they have about half the rated life compared to Ni-MH, so expect to replace them sooner. This is mitigated by them being cheaper and environmentally friendly. Besides, 500 charge/use cycles is not bad at all.

I bought these to power my Vivitar 285HV & non-HV flashes. This was an experiment, but has gone well, so I intend to get a another set soon. The big bonus is not with capacity, but that the higher voltage kind of super charges the flashes. Essentially they almost cut the recharge time in half. Here are my findings, comparing NiZn against fresh, high capacity Ni-MH.

285 non-HV Full power
Ni-MH 6.5 sec
NiZn 3.5 sec

285HV
Ni-MH 7 sec
Ni-Zn 4 sec
on December 5, 2012
These batteries charge quickly and hold their charge well when unused. They work great in a Aerolatte Milk Frother because the higher voltage (1.6 instead of the usual 1.5 volts) seems to spin the frother at a higher speed. The only problem I've had is that the batteries do not always work in our Canon S100 camera. The positive post seems a little shorter than on most AA batteries and the way the Canon battery compartment is configured seems to cause the battery not to make full contact. Other than that, these hold their charge very well when not in use and discharge slowly when in use. They power electronic devices as well or better than any rechargeable battery I've ever used. They also hold up well over time. I have had my first set probably 2 1/2 to 3 years and they continue to take and hold a charge as well as when they were new. I really don't know how many charge/discharge cycles they will last through, but so far, they have outlasted anything else I have used.

Note that these do require a charger made specifically for the Nickel Zinc. I haven't tried to charge them in other chargers, but the warning is very specific -- and I don't like risking fires from pushing my luck.
on August 20, 2013
I liked two things about these batteries.
1. I get a full 1.5 volts when fully charged. Most rechargable batteries are only 1.2 volts.
2. These batteries will hold a charge for an extended period of time. Some batteries go dead in a few weeks. I've had
these sitting idle for more than 4 months and I still get 1.5 volts out of them.

I am a ham radio operator. One of my little transmitters put out 5 watts of power. With 8 of these batteries, I get full voltage to the radio and it puts out its rated 5 watts of power. "Ten Tec R4020 radio." With other recharagle batteries I only get 1.2 volts per cell and the radio will only put out 2-1/2 watts because of the lower operating voltage. Not good.

If you are replacing Alkaline batteries which are 1.5 volts and want rechargable batteries, this is you best choice at a fair price.
But remember, YOU MUST use their charger.
Barry
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
I've bought probably 12 of these PowerGeniX NiZn batteries and at least 2 chargers. The first set died quickly...turned out to be a charger problem. OK, fool me once. Got a new charger and 4 new batteries and all was well for a few months. I use these cells on my iMac Magic Mouse which is a notorious battery eater ergo rechargeables vice alkaline.

But I'm beginning to wonder...ALL the NiZn AA batteries I've bought (first 8) have died, incapable of being charged, indicate zero charge using a pulse-load multi-battery tester with the 1.5v alkaline setting. I've bought 4 more NiZn PowerGeniX AA batteries and this time I'm actually marking them with date of first use. I'm beginning to think that buying primary alkaline cells is a better deal......I'm getting fooled a second time...PowerGenix ZRPGX-AA8 AA 1.6v 2500 mWh ZiNc High-Voltage Rechargeable Batteries -8 Pack (Green)
on August 1, 2013
Many things are made to use alkaline cells and do not perform well on the lower voltage of NIMH or NICD cells. I purchased several of these. I use them in my once sluggish AA powered electric screwdriver. These cells solved the problem with new life. They also work wonders in my electric toothbrush and my electronic bug zapper. I'm not sure I recommend them for some more expensive electronic items such as cameras etc. since there is some risk that the higher cell voltage could zap some sensitive junctions. On the whole though these are comparable to alkaline cells. I haven't had any of these cells more than about a year, so it is too early to say about their longevity. Do use a charger made for NIZN or follow accepted procedures. The smart chargers are hard to beat.
on July 23, 2012
I have been using these batteries for over a year and they don't have much "shelf life". I have to use them as soon as they are charged because when I install them into my camera as little as a week later I get very little use. I have used batteries that are designed for the camera and they last 5-10 times longer. For normal low energy items, flashlight, radio, or other things like that I think they will do a good job. I thought that the extra voltage would make it worth the price. I'm didn't return them because they do a decent job for wireless keyboards, mice, or clocks.
on January 20, 2013
I bought these out of interest and that I have two digital cameras that don't like the low voltage of NiMh batteries. So to the point, they work great in the camera. I also use them in my Garmin GPS which also eats batteries. That's the good stuff. The bad stuff is that I've had a few batteries out of the 12 that I bought fail after several uses. To be fair, I bought these in 2011 and have not reviewed them till now, so there could be improvements in quality. Even if not, I'd still buy them for my camera and GPS.
on September 20, 2010
I have been using these NiZn batteries for nearly a year. As an EE, I was intrigued by the higher open-cell voltage.

Indeed, this higher voltage allows for better performance in applications where battery voltage has a significant impact; e.g. Digital Cameras, electric razors, electric toothbrush, flashlights, fans, etc.

The only drawback is that you MUST use a charger designed for these batteries. The higher voltage and charging characteristics require special circuits.

Be aware also that their mAh rating may not last as long as NiMh cells with the same rating, as the higher voltage means they deliver higher current as well (depending on your application). However, with many digital cameras shutting down at about 1.15V, these batteries will outlast NiMh due to the higher 1.4V knee as the batteries become depleted.

I have 12 of these AA cells; at this point they have performed as expected. I recently returned from a trip, using only one set of two AA cells in my digital camera. I never needed my spares.
on June 6, 2011
Obviously, the only reason you'd buy these is if you have a device that requires the whole 1.5 volts. Otherwise, the Wal-Mart rechargables would do the job. I have a digital camera that is intolerant of 1.2 volt batteries--it shuts off immeditely after being turned on, even with a fresh recharge. The camera works great with these zinc rechargables. I haven't used them until they no longer hold a charge, but it's clearly less money than buying un-rechargable Energizers.