Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 16 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on July 19, 2015
I bought this for my delta 28-243. As I expected the pins didn't line up so with some careful marking I was able to drill holes in both the bottom of the riser block and the bandsaw and make it fit really well. The guide rod is a little smaller diameter then my factory rod but due to the groove in the rod snugged up tight and doesn't move in use. The blade that comes with the saw is about 6 tpi and not the best but what would you expect from a free blade with a kit. If you are looking for a solution to not being able to get a delta riser this worked for me. And overall it is a great kit you may want to grab another 105" bandsaw blade while your ordering the kit. You will not be able to take advantage of the additional sawing capacity with this blade
review image review image review image
on March 6, 2016
Looked at the available products to increase the resaw height of my little 14" Delta bandsaw and decided to go with the cheapest route. The Powermatic riser block kit supplied the most critical component....a cast iron 6" tall riser. I removed the paint from the top and bottom machined surfaces and checked them for parallel with my indicator on a surface plate....perfectly flat and parallel. Before disassembly, checked alignment of the upper and lower wheels and made a mental note of location. For a single handed conversion I attached a C-clamp to a floor joist and used a small come-along to raise and lower the top part of my bandsaw for installation of the riser. My straight edge helped align the upper and lower wheels on my Delta without aid of the dowel pins I drilled out to allow assembly. I did have to shim and modify the other parts included in the Powermatic kit, but the end results are virtually the same as a Delta kit that would have cost me 60% more. Who knows, maybe the Delta and Powermatic riser kits come out of the same foundry in China (with different dowel hole locations and different blade guide support post.
on February 1, 2017
The riser block was easy to install. My biggest complaint (which may be expected) is how bad the included blade is. It didnt last through 3 uses. I ordered other blade sizes, but thought (foolishly) that I could get through this project with the included blade at least. Now I'm waiting for the replacement blade to move forward. Powermatic, if you're going to include a blade make it at least respectable. Powermatic gold standard was asleep at the wheel when they chose to include a worthless blade. If you buy this and need a blade this size, you must get a different blade. Otherwise, you'll be waiting for UPS to get your job done.
on September 6, 2015
The installation of this was uneventful. The directions were clear and gave appropriate warnings about the removal of the blade guide support [to avoid the complication related to reinstalling parts]. Concerns for alignment some people had complained about in years past, apparently, have been addressed.

With the riser and new blades installed, my cutting capacity has more than doubled. I re-sawed large pieces of walnut, butternut and sycamore with good results. To say the riser opened doors is an understatement.

Keep in mind, going from 92-1/2" blades to 105" blades may require different techniques in setting blade tension. For example, with so much more blade between wheels, there is more opportunity for the blade to twist. Accordingly, I find I have to apply more tension to small blades and I cannot do light re-saw on thin stock using 1/4" blades, like I did with the 92-1/2" blades.
on September 5, 2016
The riser block kit worked perfectly. I read all of the negative reviews about the alignment issues, but I found none. My friend came over and we had it changed out in less than an hour. The wheel alignment was perfect and I had no problem with the block and the alignment pins.

The only disappointment I have is that the riser was supposed to come with the saw when I purchased from Woodcraft, and it was not included. This is the second large tool problem I have had with Woodcraft. I probably will not purchase any large tools from Woodcraft in the future.
on December 28, 2010
I purchased this Block with the saw; followed the strait forward installation instructions (the only tricky part is to slip the new extension bolt through the saw head,extension,and base) as the instructions "read" you will need some help to stabilize the head)when threading the bolt through. Also use the extra washer at the bottom when you tighten up the nut it will tend to collapse the single washer otherwise. I checked the two wheels with a straight edge they were perfectly true, I followed the rest of the steps and came out just perfect it took me the entire morning to complete the installation. I did some cheating however as I spent the evening before getting acquainted with the parts and manual.
I highly recommend not only the block but the entire Saw the extra height gives the advantage for re-sawing or cutting large blanks for lathe turnings. Unlike review's I have read here I might have been a lucky one and gotten a perfect unit. I hope this helps you make the right choice.
Armand.
on May 1, 2017
Perfect fit on a 1990's grey Ridgid 14 inch. No modifications. Just like it was made for it right down to every last screw. Saved me from spending a grand or more on a different saw.
on July 8, 2014
Ordered this riser block kit for my old 14" delta saw. You may ask why, but delta kit is about 50 bucks more. Well this kit is and not compatible with delta, depends on how you view it. The pins do not match, so the riser original pins has to be grind off. I drilled 4 holes on the riser, 2 to install pins to match the top section of my saw and 2 to match the bottom saw section pins.

It may sounds a lot of work, but a piece of paper template and a 1/4" bit and 2 pins is all you need. Taking apart, trace template, drill, install pins, install take about 2 hrs total. Its not that bad. The end result is great, all align properly and 50 bucks extra.
on December 18, 2007
I bought the riser block along with the band saw. I assembled the band saw one day, and the riser block the next. After doing it this way, I'm not sure there was any advantage to be gain by trying to install the riser block at the same time as the general saw assembly. (In other words, I think I did the right thing is doing it the way I did.)

All the parts for the riser block were in the box including the necessary larger 105" blade. I've heard many reports of the stock blade being low grade, but it seems to cut fine for me. (This being my first band saw, I have nothing to compare it with, so I don't doubt that a better blade would cut better.)

The instructions weren't as clear as they could have been, but I managed to do the installation in, what seems to me, a decent amount of time. A helper would have made installing easier, but I managed to get it done solo.

I did not have the problem of misaligned pins that some others have had. Everything matched up perfectly so I guess Powermatic has solved that issue.

Other than that, it's a hunk of metal that increases the resaw capacity of the saw. It's well made, painted nicely to match the saw, and does exactly what it's intended to do. When all is said and done, there's nothing not to like about it so it gets my 5 star rating.

I don't know if Powermatic reads these reviews, but I would venture to guess that a lot of buyers purchase the riser block along with the saw. It would make a good deal of sense if they had an option to buy the saw with the riser block already installed. Less work for the buyer, and they'd save some money on parts that the riser block kit replaces. I don't know what to do with those leftover replaced parts but I hate the idea of throwing them away too.
on October 23, 2007
After reading other reviews, I was leery about getting this riser block, but I wanted the added capacity. Well, it arrived today, and the entire conversion took less then 1 hour. (Can be done by one person, if planned out correctly - like having the bolt in close reach while putting the top back on - and being careful not to drop the top assembly during removal and replacement.)

These are the answers to the questions I had before ordering:
First and foremost, the riser block fit was perfect. It went on with a couple of mallet hits - no grinding of pins or removal needed. Wheels remained in total alignment and coplanar.

Second, the picture shown here is wrong, the item is Powermatic "gold" not Jet white.

And even though it does not state so, this kit also include a new 105" blade.

Over all, a smooth upgrade to a very nice saw.