|Item Weight||332 pounds|
|Product Dimensions||66 x 24 x 37.5 inches|
|Item model number||1791279DXK|
|Item Package Quantity||1|
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Powermatic 54A Deluxe 6-Inch Jointer with Quick-Set Knives
|Price:||$1,019.99 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- 6-inch jointer with a 66- by 7-1/4-inch table surface equipped with quick-set knives
- Powered by a 1-horsepower 1-ph motor
- Quick-set knives offer fast, accurate and easy replacement
- Heavy steel stand and cast iron center-mount fence, Assembly required
- Fence has positive stops at 90 and 45 degrees
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
The rugged fence is easily adjustable.
The three-knife cutter-head is easy to set, and blade changes are simple and quick. View larger.
Measuring 21 x 13 inches (W x D), the all-steel base cabinet provides stable footing for the Powermatic 54A and puts the table surface at a comfortable 32 inches above the floor.
The one-horsepower, one-Ph, 115-volt motor is mounted within the cabinet and can be converted to use 230-volt power. It's also located on a special mount within the base cabinet for easy belt-tension adjustments.
The base contains a dust collection chute that evacuates debris from below the cutter-head and guides the debris to the exterior four-inch diameter port near the floor for less mess, better air quality, and improved visibility of the work piece.
Three-Knife Cutter-Head for Smooth Cuts
The Powermatic 54A features a three-knife cutter-head fitted with adjustment cams that make setting knife heights both easy and accurate.
Each knife is made from high-quality steel for long-lasting performance. And since the knives are secured by a set of four gib screws and a gib plate, they are easy to change and set.
Generous Table Size and Easy Adjustability
With a width of 7-1/4 inches and length of 66 inches, the Powermatic 54A has the longest tables available in its class, so it provides plenty of support for large work pieces.
The tables are precision ground to ensure flatness, and each is mounted on dovetailed ways that keep them aligned through height changes. For added convenience, you can adjust the out-feed table height via a hand wheel mounted below the table.
Additionally, an easy-to-read scale on the front side of the in-feed table allows quick and precise setting of specific cut changes, and a finger-operated gib screw locks the table in position once it is set.
Precisely Ground Fence
Like the tables, the cast-iron fence system is precisely ground. It tilts up to 45 degrees towards and away from the tables. Fully adjustable stops at 90 degrees (vertical) and each 45-degree position make setup fast and help keep the Powermatic 54A accurate.
For added convenience, the fence controls are center mounted, and a push-button switch is lockable to prevent accidental starting.
The Powermatic 54A is backed by a five-year warranty.
What's in the Box
One Powermatic 54A, one jointer stand, one door with mounting hardware, one dust chute with mounting hardware, one jointer assembly, one fence assembly, one pulley cover, one belt, one cutter-head guard, two hold-downs, one hardware bag, one fence handle, all necessary tools, manual, and warranty card.
This jointer comes with two hold-down pads to protect your hands.
Top Customer Reviews
I will append this review later after I've worked with the machine for a while but I'm expecting great things. My only minor complaint is the mechanism to lower and raise the infeed table. I wish it had a handwheel instead of the lever.
Good 'ole Powermatic - won't let you down.
March, 2011 - Still love my PM 54A. No complaints or regrets. And I added a spiral cutting head. It's so cool!
Easy to adjust and has plenty of power.
It works flawlessly and I have absolutely no complaints. 2 years of running it nearly every day and I every time I run a board through I am glad spent the extra $$ on the yellow machine.
Only wish I had bought the 8" version.
(1. Shipping. It showed up when amazon said it would. It came on a large pallet which was fork lifted into my garage. It was shipped in excellent condition without any issues. Two big boxes. The paint was fine (an issue I was worried about from other reviews)
(2. Assembly. First of all, I'm horrible at putting things together (which might seem odd as I'm buying a jointer) but nevertheless it's true. The instructions were very simple and the assembly is totally painless. There are literally like 5 steps. The only hard part it lifting the cast-iron unit on the stand. You really need two people for this, but it's not hard just heavy. Getting a pulley setup was cake as the factor distance worked fine.
(3. 'tuning,' This was a huge fear of mine. Adjusting the fence was the most challenging part of the process. I read the instructions about 10 times before I touched the machine and that helped a lot. It has a 90 degree stop which is pretty effective, but mine did need to be adjusted. It took me about an hour to figure it out, but now I could easily adjust it in 2 minutes. The directions are very good, but you have to carefully read them. Second thing you have to do is check to make sure the blades are appropriately positioned. To my delight, when I put a straight edge over the outfeed table and the blade and pulled on the pulley the top of the blade carried the straight edge just a hair like it's supposed to. It was spot on from the factor. Now some people get a little nuts here and do some crazy precision. Good for them. For me, this was perfect and I'm happy.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Just purchased the 6" Powermatic 54a replacing my Delta Delux 6" model I have had for years. Read morePublished 6 months ago by Thomas J Bittner
Ordered this to do some of our lighter planing. What a nightmare! Table top moves all over the place. Screws are located in difficult to reach spots. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Mao
I'm sure this machine works fine if everything is in alignment out of the box. However, if you need to adjust the infeed table or the knives, you may be in for a bad surprise. Read morePublished 10 months ago by N. Lira
Wow- what an upgrade. I had been using an old Craftsman jointer that I bought on Craigslist, and I was nothing but frustrated. Read morePublished 20 months ago by JBChicago
I spec'ed this jointer for purchase by the high school woodshop I help to teach. It replaced an ancient (50 yr. old?) Rockwell unit that was just too far gone. Read morePublished 20 months ago by BillinNederland CO
I had my dad's Craftsman 6" jointer for several years, but wanted a longer infeed table. I have other powermatic equipment, so after research I chose this one. Read morePublished on May 11, 2014 by A Professional Consumer
I have to be honest for a machine this big and in this price range I prefer to put my hands on it. But I gave amazon a try. Read morePublished on April 8, 2014 by oscar m brown jr
Great machine from the start, east to set up, easy to run, accurate, blades are very durable, in use everydayPublished on April 5, 2014 by Amazon Customer
First, I had no trouble with assembling ANY part of this machine as some others have mentioned.
Cuts wood glass-smooth. Read more