|Print List Price:||$19.95|
Save $9.96 (50%)
Practical Font Design, Third Edition Plus Kindle Edition
|Length: 286 pages||
Matchbook Price: $2.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Top Customer Reviews
* Badly edited. If one is not a good self-editor, then find someone to do it for you. Please.
* Too many fonts in the text. Every page has something different. (Yes, I know it's a book about font design, but let's not forget that it's a BOOK first. Publishing conventions exist for a reason.)
* Book is NOT about font design, it's about one guy's journey to learn font design TOOLs. If you need to know how the author solved his font design tool challenges, then this is the book for you. Otherwise, not.
* I am not against self-publishing, but it's still no excuse for poor layout, design, and editing. There are people who will help edit for less than professional prices.
* Anyone writing a book, even if it's about how to use a font design tool, should stick to the subject. There are far too many apologies and 'well, I couldn't figure it out, so you're on your own' kinds of statements in the text. Frankly, we don't care about the author's problems. HE'S writing the damn book. He could at least pretend to be an expert until he's reached the last page.
* Too expensive, given all the complaints, above.
I bought it, I've written about it on my blog, Readable Web, a couple of times. The book has greatly improved with the Third Edition. It's the only book I know of that deals with the specifics of putting a font together.
As one thing led to another, I ended up contributing some material for David Bergsland's new book on Fontographer 5.1 Fontographer: Practical Font Design for Graphic Designers
Thumbs up. And thanks to David Bergsland for making font technology more accessible to everybody.