Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on June 27, 2011
First, I'm glad there are people who take the time to write such a comprehensive book as this. It suited me & helped me understand a lot about using the command line & a lot of the nuisances & idiosyncrasies of Linux & various utilities. By taking the time to patiently read careful & understand each topic I've gained a lot of confidence to use Linux. Although there are a few chapters I haven;t finished, I can now use the book as a good reference when needed. Yes there were some parts that seemed a bit tedious to read, but overall I it's one off those books for me will be paying me back for some time the knowledge I've obtained. IMHO, for more experienced users who might just want to know Ubuntu, I think a command reference or summarized type of book would be better & for the complete new user probably just the Ubuntu Guides are a better place to start. Again thanks to the Author.
on May 31, 2015
Clear, well written, useful for all levels of Linux experience. Evidently used as a text for two of the Linux exams as well. Covers the same topics in Linux that were covered in my Windows 7 desktop and Server 2008 training.
on July 17, 2013
After buying four 800 page Ubuntu books, I finally found Mark Sobell's 'A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux'. It is the best book on the market to learn Ubuntu with. The author helps you to understand how the processes work while giving you clear commands to control them. This is a great combination to learn and practice with. The other books I purchased before this one were complex (sometimes wrong) and read like dictionaries that didn't offer insight or flow. Marks book is a great place for beginning and more experienced Linux operators to start and continue their studies.
on July 9, 2013
Okay first of all, My main reason to ordering this product because I needed it for my DCOM Class at college. I do have a little experience with Linux software via Backtrack 4 and 5 (Cyberclub at college) but I'm not too very familiar with the Linux OS in general (Note that I said little experience). So I'm looking forward to cracking this book open on the first day of college class. Shipping was very very fast (Chose 3-5 business day option but I ordered this yesterday) I liked it, no complaints at all. This book is sealed in the Plastic wrapping still and I haven't removed it yet. Looking forward to reading it! 5/5 start rating for shipping speed and prompt service!
on July 9, 2013
I loved this book, but by the time I bought I found out that it was for Ubuntu version 10.4 ; but I had version 12.4 installed; and some of the features were a little outdated. However, I still learnt a lot useful sticks from this book.

Thank you for the author, keep up with the great job.

It comes with a installation disk, so If you're OK with installing 10.4 ; I think it should work great.
on February 13, 2013
Excellent, detailed treatment of Ubuntu. Easy for all but a complete novice with Linux OS to follow and implement. Good index of topic details and very adequate description of advanced features. A great introduction to getting started with Ubuntu for newcomers to Linux OS who have a good basic knowledge of Windows OS. Especially appreciated the treatment of the different types of installation of Ubuntu. Overall a great resource or reference once one gets started with Ubuntu.
on December 11, 2013
Needed this book for a class I took at community college. This book does a great job explaining many of the features of Ubuntu linux and all the things you can do with it. This book may focus on older builds of ubuntu but almost all of the information is still applicable today.
on September 6, 2011
This is an excellent text and I am using as of this term as the textbook for the class in Linux that I am teaching at the local Community College. The frst book on UNIX that I used twenty-five years ago was written by Sobell. He hasn't lost his touch.
on January 15, 2017
on November 26, 2012
I really couldn't have made it through the 90's without Unix System V, A Practical Guide, by Mark Sobell. What a life-saver! I still use it about once a week, in fact, for something or other.

It never occurred to me that you'd written books on Linux, and recently I purchased the best book, it looked to me, that I could find - A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux. (3rd Edition) As I started to read it, the tone and even the font signature looked so familiar, and I noticed your name.

This new book is absolutely outstanding! I love the jump starts. As always, just the perfect amount of detail to get me through at whatever level of comprehension I'm at this month on that topic, from "just the bare bones today please" to "Now, let's go into depth!". And the code works!

I can't even begin to imagine how many hours it took to write such a book. Wow.

Bless you for making the lives of so many people so much easier! The US Government should give you an award foradvancing the country and recognize your work!

By the way, I don't usually write such letters. I'm retired, and built my first analog computer in 1956 in 6th grade, and had my first part-time programming job in 1964, training at IBM in Autocoder for the 1401 in 1965, did production work in 19 languages, probably 15 IDE's, etc, over the past 48 years. I've read a LOT of books , and recently unloaded 200 BOXES of them to the library.

Of all those books, there are only a handful that I will keep forever, including my high-school calculus and
physics books, and your books.

Thank you Mark!