Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by All is Bright Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Assassin's Creed Origins Shop now HTL17_gno

Practical Magic
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 5, 2017
Alice Hoffman's Practical Magic is a magic that is subtle and diffuse. Six women from three generations, the "aunts", their orphaned nieces, and two teenage daughters form the backbone of the tale while they search for love, and their place in the world. It is a good story, but it earns its five-star rating because of the writing, fluid, vivid, and rich. Narrated in the third person, the author is able to reveal a character's most intimate thoughts, and distance the reader from the action adding to the loneliness each woman endures. Hoffman balances melancholy without being dour, fear without too much creeping foreboding, and joy tempered by tacit, unstated admission that luck as well as fate plays in our lives. Given that Hoffman is releasing in 2017 a follow-on book The Rules of Magic, now is an excellent time to pick up this gem.
on December 12, 2017
Blah. Did not like the way it was almost narrated like by someone else looking in. Did not care much about any of the characters, sense of "urgency" was never established, aunts really just seemed like extraneous characters with no real voice or character development. Positive male characters were seriously two dimensional and flat and negative male character was never really explored either. Really ticked off I spent $8 for this for my Kindle. Was going to get the next one but forget it.
on December 4, 2017
A part of me was disappointed in this because so much much of it revolves around telling the reader things and connection was very difficult. We didn’t get a real feel of the characters. We were told how they feel and it stopped the flow despite the wonderful use of language. However the story itself was quite enthralling with some wonderful possibilities and it was easy to understand why Hollywood decided to do something with it.
An interesting read.
on November 14, 2017
As a woman with sisters who has daughters i thought the story was accurate and sweet. Definitely practical magic. Barely any hoodoo at all. .
on December 4, 2017
One of the worst books I've ever read. She drives on and on could have stated the entire story in a hundred pages instead of 288. Don't bother
on November 23, 2017
Disappointed with the book. Maybe if I had read the book before seeing the movie I may have liked it more.
on December 8, 2017
Reminded me of Like Water For Chocolate and Babette's Feast, but I couldn't tell you why. Probably the taste of Brothers Grimm throughout the book. I think I liked it.
on November 25, 2017
A charming book, which I like equally well to the Rules of Magic, very enjoyable.
on December 14, 2017
A fun read with quirky characters. A little predictable in parts but I thoroughly enjoyed the complex family dynamics. I'll be reading more by Alice Hoffman
on November 24, 2017
Loving this book and so sad I didn’t know about it sooner.