|Digital List Price:||$35.95|
Save $16.18 (45%)
Practical PostgreSQL Kindle Edition
|Length: 640 pages|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Just wanted to warn about one thing here:
The absolute worst part of this book is the index (which is a _very_ important part of any tech book). The one listing they have under the letter K: "keywords". What about keys? A SQL book that doesn't have an index entry for keys? There's not even any "H" listing... hashes?
The 'stored procedure' (PL/pgSQL) chapter was for me the only interesting part of this book for me.
When I bought this I was hoping for the PostgreSQL 'Bible', but it was a big dissapointment.
My advice for improvement for the next release:
- much better index
- drop LXP chapter
- chapter about how to tune (not just SQL statements, but the postgreSQL server itself) and benchmark PostgreSQL.
- a chapter about 'schema' and when to use them.
- extend PL/pgSQL chapter with some 'real world' examples and how to do PL/pgSQL trouble shooting, PL/Perl(?)
- general advice how to manage PostgreSQL on 'day to day' basis
- maybe have a chapter about the SLONY replication add-on
- Postgresql 8.0 features
I cannot recommend this book.
more than practical postgreSQL from Bruce.It's a sheer waste of your money.
The authors clearly explain the topics covered in the book, I've given the book to several co-workers who were interested in the book and they also view it favorably.
I recommend this book to the person interested in learning more about PostgreSQL or the person who has never used a database server before.
This book does not get into the advanced features of PostgreSQL but all in all this is a quality reference and handbook, perhaps better named as Learning PostgreSQL.
Speaking of the index, it is surely the poorest one I've encountered in any O'Reilly or other computer reference book I've ever seen or considered buying. It fills only 3 pages front and back. This is a 600+ page book mind you. Because of the poor index you will probably spend more time flipping through pages or using the table of contents which is rather scant as well.
It is too bad that I bought this book by mail order because if I had been able to inspect it in a bookstore, I would've never bought it. The documentation that comes with PostgreSQL is more than adequate to get it installed and working. If you are looking to use Perl as your front-end language, your time and money would probably be better spent on "Programming the Perl DBI" by O'Reilly.
RE LXP, while obscurity is certainly no reason to discount something, I see no reason to go so deep into coverage of this language, when things like PHP are so much more widely used for such purposes. A far better use of those pages would have been a small discussion on DB structure and logic, and general guidelines on how to set things up efficiently. That, and a more specific description of the configuration variables before compiling the DB, preferrably going over when you would need to use those options.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Very good clear explanations, even better examples, and useful appendix.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases & Big Data > Data Mining
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases & Big Data > Data Warehousing
- Books > Computers & Technology > Databases & Big Data > SQL
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Data in the Enterprise > Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Network Administration > Email Administration
- Books > Computers & Technology > Networking & Cloud Computing > Networks, Protocols & APIs > Networks
- Books > Computers & Technology > Programming Languages
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Computers & Technology > Databases
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Computers & Technology > Networking > Networks, Protocols & API's