Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives Paperback – July 7, 2008
|New from||Used from|
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
About the Author
Wendy Horger Alsup (MEd, Clemson University) teaches theology to women, blogs regularly, and is the author of several books.
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Path: After a brief testimony of who she is and how she got to where she is now, Alsup systematically works through several key doctrines. She does not claim that this book is comprehensive by any means, but a good foundation. She works through the importance of theology and faith, several different aspect of God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. She also adds a section on communication with God.
Agreement: This is a great tool to use for personal study and also for group Bible studies. It is helpful in making connections between daily life and theology.
Personal App: How I view God directly affects how I think and act. Am I seeking to know God more all of the time?
It would be worth another read and I would recommend it.
There are some great theology books out there but they are often written off because they are old and use big words and seem like textbooks for pastors. But this book, Practical Theology for Women is not like that at all. I am confident that even though it is only 152 pages it does not compromise on the quality of content in studying who God is. But at the same time, it is not so wordy and lofty that even a high school girl could not get totally into it!
"God is, and his existence alone puts the rest of life in perspective."
When I sat down to read this book for the first time I didn't necessarily feel far away from God but I knew I needed to deepen my understanding of him. But I had no idea how much this book was going to move me! The author writes:
"It is my deepest conviction that what God teaches about himself in his Word is of utmost importance to the issues of my personal daily life."
And that is exactly what this book is about. In each chapter she describes and explains qualities of who God is, taking us through the Bible to see what God has told us about himself. She then connects the dots from that big concept of our mighty God to the everyday situation you and I face and get frustrated about. The way she does this compelled me personally to put off sin in my life that I realized in reading this book was a result of misunderstanding or forgetting who God really is.
The more I understand how God does things and why he does them, the more ready I am to live all out for him! Some chapters in this book were so good; I seriously only read a paragraph a day because I had to chew on it. I couldn't just keep turning pages because some things she would point out really were important and I had not always treated them that way. Things like:
* How faith really works..."To say we have faith in him while living a life characterized by anxiety and worry is to deny him by our actions, if not our words."
* How God is sovereign, compassionate and wise and how those all still makes sense even when he must discipline us as his children.
* How to think about our problems in light of who God is..."Many Christians in today's churches seem much more convinced of the reality of their problems than the reality of their God."
* How intense it is that Jesus left heaven, took on a human body, to take the punishment for our sin and how there is no love that compares to the beauty of God redeeming us and making us his people ready to do great things for his glory!
* How everything that God has for us to do, he is enabling us to actually do because of the Holy Spirit, our Helper, living in us--amazing!
* How reading the Word and praying continually are not just spiritual disciplines that we should strive for because we know we should. They are our connection to the God of the universe!
You should definitely get yourself a copy of Practical Theology for Women and see for yourself how knowing God will make a huge difference in your everyday life!
Most recent customer reviews
Title: Practical Theology for Women
Publisher: Crossway Books
Reading Level: Moderate
While deep, abiding...Read more