Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 1, 2014
The title of this book is somewhat misleading because the author is not in favor of being slow, but of slowing down, which is not necessarily the same thing. The premise of the book is that our society is obsessed with speed. As a result our lives have become insufferably hectic and busy. We are under overt and subtle pressure to do as many things as possible. The only way to do them all is to rush through them, thus the obsession with speed. The problem is that as everyone speeds up, what was once fast becomes normal, and so we have to speed up again. Of course, eventually society will reach a point (I think that we had already or we are very close to it) when going even faster will become physically impossible. There is only so much that human beings can take before they burn out and collapse. But that is a poor consolation. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live in a world that wants to get even more frantic and hectic but it cannot because it had already reached its limits.

A word has to be given on what in this book is meant by “slow” and “fast.” Fast can mean fast, like driving cars dangerously fast (we get a chapter on that in the book), but generally speaking “fast” is a synonym for intensity and overworking. Take office workers (there is a chapter on that too) as example. Physically, they do not work faster than office workers in past generations. But because they are burdened with a much heavier workload, they have to work long hours past the time they should be back home. Forget 9 to 5. Now it is often 9 to 8 or even 9 to 10.

Similarly, “slow” does not have to mean slow in the physical sense of that word. Slow means working at a pace that is comfortable for you. You can still work hard and fast at what you do, but you should also work at a pace that is optimal for you and you should devote only as many hours to it as you feel comfortable.

Other than the introduction, the author does not talk much about where the cult of speed had come from. I find it regrettable because the topic is of interest to me. The author says that the cult of speed essentially emerged in the 19th century with the rise of factories and modern capitalism. Because workers were paid per hour and not per product, management wanted to squeeze as much productivity from them as possible by making them work even faster. A worker who makes thirty radios per hour gets paid as much as the worker who makes ten radios per hour, but now his bosses have three times as many radios to sell and make profit from.

Why I do agree that industrialization was no doubt a factor, I think that there is more to that story. I wish that the author had devoted more space to exploring this topic.

The bulk of the book is about different areas of human life and different people and groups who are fighting to slow things down. I won’t go over them all. There is not enough space for that. We get a discussion of such things as slower medicine, raising kids in a more relaxed manner, creating cities with less traffic, slower and better sex, slow cuisine and eating, etc. All of these things are interesting and they gave me ideas on how to slow down in certain areas of my own life.

The problem with this advice, and the author admits that this is a problem, is that all these “slow down” activities appear to be mainly for the rich and the middle class. For example, there is a chapter about slowing down in the office. It is not strictly about office work, but all of it is about white collar type of workplaces. How about slowing down at McDonalds or Walmart? I had a number of low-wage blue collar jobs in my life and I can tell you that if you go to see your boss and talk about slowing down, this probably is going to be your last day working in that place.

Another example, the author meets and talks a lot with the people involved in the slow movement. Without exception, all of them are white collar professionals. He attends workshops, clubs, meetings and gatherings. At no point does he meet there someone coming from the working class (i.e. poor). Or at least he never mentions it. All these people are middle class people.

Still, a lot of the advice in the book can be used by everyone. For example, the author talks about cutting down on TV and instead spending more time with friends and family. Yes, I know that when you come back home after a long day of work you are exhausted and want to crash on the couch and let your brain go for a walk while you watch some idiocy on the TV. Been there, done that. But if you actually make the effort to spend that time on meeting with other people (provided that these are people whom you like, of course), you will soon feel fresh energy and feel relaxed and happy.

Besides, even if the slow movement is a middle class thing, it might eventually trigger changes that will trickle down and spread out to all levels of society. Of course, opponents will immediately say that if you do that, the economy will collapse. The author does address this critique.

For one, obsession with speed is causing the economy hundreds of billions of dollars per year. Think about all the car accidents caused by speeding or all the health problems caused by stress and overwork. Not to mention that rushing often results in end product that is of shoddy quality, which in turn results in customer complaints, recalls and need for corrections that cost businesses more in the long run than had they taken things easy.

Also, slowing down would mean more time for leisure. Leisure will create new job opportunities. For example, if people spend less time driving and more time walking in a park, that will create demand for people to design, build and maintain parks. If people start going more to various workshops, then someone will have to run these workshops.

But the fact is that no matter how you slice and dice it, capitalism won’t be able to maintain current levels of profit and growth. But so what? What is so great about growth and profits anyway? Just look at the state of the world. For the past few decades we had steady growth and profits. Individual corporations might fail and go bankrupt, but overall they are making a killing and their economic, social and political power is steadily on the increase. So what? The ecosystem is dying, the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and we have to work ever harder to maintain the same standard of living. In the Bible there is a passage where Jesus says that Sabbath was made for the people and not the people for the Sabbath. Is the economy supposed to serve the people, or are we supposed to sacrifice our health and happiness for the economy?

Please, slow down.
on August 27, 2014
We all talk about slowing down and we never have the time to do it. This is a book to read slowly (no pun intended) and meditating about what we do everyday in our lives. Every chapter seemed like a nice conversation, and I finished all of them thinking about a new resolution for my life. Reading a book that has such an effect is something that you only find once in a while.
It made me think and, to me, that is all that matters. It made me want to change.
But speaking less philosophically and considering the story of the book, it is very interesting to follow the author all over the world in the search for doing things slowly. I should also say that it is not a "bible" to be slow either, or a dogmatic view of slowness. The author looks for balance, for what he calls "tempo giusto", the right time. Do things slowly when it makes sense to do it, and do it faster when it makes sense to do it. And I ended the book wanting to achieve more balance in my life. I hope you enjoy it too.
on March 26, 2017
Great way to motivate yourself to start slowing your life down and reduce stress
on September 20, 2017
Fabulous read about slowing down and making your time still count when working and enjoying yourself.
on August 9, 2014
I liked the book is written in the same pace as the philosophy it brings to the table. I got lots of pleasure and leisure reading it. Recommend to those who feels there is no more room in their life to make it balanced and pleasant.
on May 12, 2013
Makes you think about what is really important to you, is it doing a million things quickly or doing a few things well and spending more time with the people in your life. It is also gives some quite simple techniques in order to make your life more "slow".
on January 20, 2017
I wanted to like this book. The story about rushing through bedtime and the overall introduction got me hooked, but the rest of the book was a chore. There was little substance to the book. From the history of clocks, to the endorsement of homeopathy, it was a burden rather than a joy to read. There were bits an pieces of insight, but many times the writing droned on for dozens of pages on a single point. My eyes rolled so many times at lack of relevance to slowness and the contradictions at the book. In the same chapter the author espouses the improved hygiene of small farms and a few pages later petitioning that small farms should be exempt from rigorous food safety standards. As if buying food from a small farming operation is somehow a way to slow down. He assumes an environmental benefit where all research to the contrary proves other wise. Similar sloppiness is seen in the labor productivity of Europe - Spain has a 40% unemployment rate, which does not enter into the discussion on the value of the siesta.
on September 10, 2014
This is a brilliant little book which went a long way in changing my philosophy of how to live life…SLOWLY. The Slow movement was born in Italy so it’s got to be good! It’s not about doing everything slowly but about getting the most out of everything we do rather than rushing and glossing over the top of all we do. The movement espouses slow cities where more space is given to footpaths and parks and is challenging modern urban designs.

Honoré explores the Slow Food side of things, where it’s the journey not the destination which is important. Growing produce, finding quality ingredients, cooking food ourselves with friends and sharing it as an experience or occasion rather than a fuel stop.
This book really starts to make sense and I can see how well the Slow movement ethos can be applied to any aspect of life.

I really enjoyed thinking and rehashing the daily in life to accommodate more quality rather than quantity into my lifestyle.

Something for everyone in chapters titled ‘Food: Turning the tables on Speed’, ’Sex: a lover with a slow hand’, ‘Leisure: the importance of being at rest’, ‘Children: raising an Unhurried Child’, and more.
on June 8, 2006
Carl Honore's "In Praise of Slow: How a Worldwide Movement Is Challenging the Cult of Speed" does pretty much what it says on the tin, discussing how to introduce consideration of the speed in which we do things to most aspects of life. It's an enjoyable read, and while I don't feel I need most of its message -I'm fairly well up on taking things as slowly as they deserve- I got some new ideas. I've played with some of the suggestions, and it's certainly been interesting - my urge to multi-task, for example, which asserts itself constantly irrespective of how inadequate I may be at it, can be quelled enough for me to enjoy just doing one thing. This requires much concentration, but it's nice to find out that I -can- do it if necessary. One of my favourite quotes from the book is Einstein's not Honore's: "Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid. Human beings are incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant."
on April 11, 2010
If you read newspapers, you know the filler stories where they pick up on a current trend and write nice fluffy stories about how it's affecting people's lives. This book is 320 pages of those kinds of stories. I have considerable sympathy with the goals of the slow movement, but this book offers little in the way of the philosophical underpinnings of the movement or suggestions of ways of slowing your life down.

It's a collection of interesting stories and examples, but like eating chocolates, while it's enjoyable, it doesn't have much nutrition.