- File Size: 2056 KB
- Print Length: 658 pages
- Publisher: William Morrow; Reprint edition (March 13, 2012)
- Publication Date: March 13, 2012
- Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
- Language: English
- ASIN: B006VE6TCW
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #9,884 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$17.99|
Save $10.25 (57%)
Price set by seller.
A Prayer for Owen Meany: A Novel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 658 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $7.49 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
K. Kris Loomis is the author of How to Sneak More Yoga Into Your Life and the Modern Shorts for Busy People series.
As an avid reader, many books fade with time. This one will always stay with me.
There were some other books that he had chosen out for 11th graders that I would say is not appropriate for young adults (high school aged teens), but A Prayer for Owen Meany is DEFIANTLY an amazing read and extremely highly recommended to read even during high school years.
If kids are allowed to read The Things They Carried, this should defiantly be a book to read as well.
John Irving, as always, has penned a story that is beautifully written, if a well written story, by a wordsmith whose words just flow off the page, is part of what you love about a book then this is for you.
And, as always, his characters are unforgettable. I still feel deeply touched by Jenny and Garp from when I read "The World According to Garp" 30 years ago at the age of 18. But of all of Irving's characters, Owen Meany has touched me the most. I think Owen will stay in my heart forever.
Irving often writes of religious faith and miracles and this is no different but in this case Owen truly does have you believing his life, hard as it is, is one of significant purpose. He needs to find out why he's here, he has clues, and he knows he's here to perform a great miracle but he doesn't know what. His best friend John Wheelwright tries to help him.
The first half of the book, when the boys are young, is by far thr most satisfying. There's a reason why John Irving's books tend to be shortened considerably when they're made into films and plays, the stories go on forever! And in some ways it would have been better to end it halfway but Owen growing up is vital to the story.
Despite it being a little too long this will be one of those books I remember fondly forever, the characters, so full of life, so clearly seen in my mind, and the usual new England setting (New Hampshire again) is so evocative that I think I'd recognise the town, the school and grandmother's house instantly! And of course Owen and Johnny.
Most recent customer reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States > Classics
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > American
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > American
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Christian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Psychological
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction