Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 6, 2014
This book has helped me tremendously with the awareness God's presence at all times. Being aware of Him at all times and in all situations is very important for me and this book has been a great asset.
on June 5, 2014
2 bd wicks work read. Mr. Wicks leads me to deeper personal transformation and toward the process Of conversion. Transforming.
on February 12, 2016
Wonderful book. Shipped in time
on January 13, 2013
Practical guide with helps to leading a more prayerful and abundant life and ways to deal with our inevitable resistances.
on February 8, 2011
Robert Wicks is always very readable and this book is no exception. He always has great examples, stories, etc. that enhance the topics he covers in the areas of prayer and spirituality.
on August 19, 2014
good condition
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2010
Title 2: Quasi-Christian mystical mindfulness
Title 3: Living as a Zen-Catholic or Zen-Christian

This is a smoothly-written, at times interesting and helpful little book that purports to deal with prayer or "prayerfulness." There are constant anecdotes, and the prose follows an organized path, but the content--at least to me--is vague. To a degree like that college text book that you wished would come out and say what it means, but instead "beats around the bush.".

But as far as I can pin it down-and that is not easy task since there aren't a lot of definitions of key terms-prayerfulness includes mainly mystical meditation, interacting with other people (being social)and things, and being aware of God in some way.

The book claims to be Christian (for example, page 197), but it is only partially biblical at best. It is more a rehash of Zen-Christianity. The title "Prayerfulness" is an obvious rewording of the "mindfulness" of the Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh (see his "The Miracle of Mindfulness" and Peace is Every Step," for example). I think I noticed Jesus mentioned very few times in 175 pages, and there are a few quotes from Scripture. There are quotes from Catholic writers and stories about Catholics.

What is spirituality to this author? I would think it is just about anything that involves living. I beg to disagree. It's more that being meditative or mystical or thoughtful or even kind to our fellow beings. It certainly involves being aware of God's presence and praying, but it also involves truth, biblical truth. Jesus: "true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and truth" (John 4:23).

What is prayerfulness to this author? Well, fortunately we get close to a definition on page 107: "prayerfulness (what some people call mindfulness or awareness)." Note the implied direct link to Thich Nhat Hanh's work.

In conclusion, if you are looking for some stories and meditations in the context of a rather broad definition of prayer, with guidelines that are often not biblical in source, try this book. But if you are hoping to learn more about Christian prayer, look elsewhere.
VINE VOICEon July 9, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered this book solely on a paragraph summary; it sold me and my spiritual side. But, after reading the book, I found it didn't speak to me the way I had anticipated.
I do, however, believe that anyone on the spiritual path (especially early on) should read books like this one. It is overall uplifting and positive. When you are new to the Bible you need to ease into it...real life application...a little scripture. (I do caution anyone reading books using the Bible as its basis or quoting Scripture to be sure to look up the verses cited in their own Bibles.)
Prayerfulness is written from a Catholic perspective, but the intent is universal in that it can be applied no matter your religion. Dr.Wicks does a good job weaving his stories into the teaching points, and illustrating a posture for prayer and mindfulness that would serve anyone well.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"Prayerfulness" is a book of paths towards a kinder, gentler way of living in the "now," and while it perhaps does not have any earth-shattering revelations that you've never heard before, it has proven eternal truths and includes quotes from a wide range of spiritual disciplines from Christian (Thomas Merton) to Tibetan Buddhist (the Dalai Lama) to many more theologians and thinkers, and emphasizes things like living a "non ego-centered approach to life" and having an attitude of gratitude.

There are chapters on dealing with sadness, anger and illness, and how to directly face "the dark night of the soul" that must inevitably be encountered in life with compassion to those around us as well as ourselves.

In Part Two, you get "A Month of Quotes, Questions, and Spiritual Themes," 30 days of a thought/question to meditate on and live with throughout the day, a sort of "retreat" while at the same time working and doing our daily tasks. You also get a "Spiritual Mindfulness Questionaire" which "is designed to help you gain a clearer sense of how open, present, and prayerful you are in your daily life."

With a nice layout , sturdy construction, and a readable font size, "Prayerfulness" is a book of reminders about how to "Live each moment as a gift from God,' and sometimes we simply need a reminder, to get us on the path we already know we should be traveling on.
VINE VOICEon December 15, 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Prayerfulness: Awakening to the Fullness of Life is a beginner's guide to contemplative prayer and meditation. It draws the language from the Eastern spiritual traditions, such as mindfulness, awakening, etc. I have no problem as long as the book is truthful to the gospel.

Ever since we threw some babies away with the bathwater during Reformation, Christians are left with no form of spiritual exercise other than prayer, fearing that doing so might violate our salvation through God's grace, rather than our work. Five centuries after the reformation, Christians are now spiritually fat and obese because they listen to the sermons and study the Bible--eating the spiritual food--without exercise.

The Eastern religions are rich with spiritual exercises mainly because they need to do it for salvation. We become lazy because our salvation is guaranteed by the grace of Jesus Christ given freely to us through his death on the cross. However, I'm sure Jesus never intended us to be pew-potatos or frozen-chosens.

The Apposle Paul says, "Bodily exercise is all right, but spiritual exercise is much more important and is a tonic for all you do. So exercise yourself spiritually, and practice being a better Christian because that will help you not only now in this life, but in the next life too." (1 Timothy 4:8 LB)

I hope as we apply more of the Eastern spiritual exercise for our own good, we will also be able to share our gospel of the good news with them in return.