Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Doppler $139.99 All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis dm3 Shop Now toystl17_gno_dm3

Showing 1-10 of 472 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 565 reviews
on October 10, 2014
The book, in my opinion, is biblically sound. The author explains five topical ways we can pray for our children (he calls each of these "circles"). These circles include:
1. Praying the promises of God
2. Making a prayer list
3. Creating a Prayer Mantra (basically a chosen verse for your child)
4. Praying in circles, (kind of making your family your prayer partner)
5. Praying through the bible
This is a great list and a wonderful way to pray for your children and grandchildren.

Here's what I didn't like about the book.
1. There are not a wide variety of examples within the book. Most of the stories given are from the authors own family. I appreciate the author's first hand experience however, in order to reach a larger audience I think it beneficial to use many different family experiences.
2.There is no example of serious difficulties. His is a family in which both parents believe and if they or their children have faced deep struggles, he does not share them. You do not need to have a "normal" family to be a praying parent and I wish he had shown examples of praying through hard times.
3. Chapters don't always feel cohesive. For instance, in the chapter "Praying through the bible" he has a section discussing not being offended when our prayers go unanswered, along with a section he calls "hyperlinked". These portions really are not linked to praying through the bible and would have served better in other parts of the book.

Overall I would not recommend this book. A better read, in my opinion, would be "The Power of a Praying Parent" by Stormie Omartian. It is a more comprehensive book with deeper instruction and more varied examples.
on January 10, 2013
About the Book:

As Batterson says, "I realize that not everyone inherited a prayer legacy like I did, but you can leave a legacy for generations to come. Your prayers have the power to shape the destiny of your children and your children's children. It's time to start circling."

About the Author:

Mark Batterson serves as the lead pastor of National Community Church in Washington, D. C. Recognized as "one of America's 25 most innovative churches," NCC is one church with seven locations. Mark's blog ([...]) and webcast ([...]) also reach a virtual congregation around the world. Mark is the author of several bestselling books, including New York Times Bestseller - The Circle Maker and In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day. He and his wife, Lora, live on Capitol Hill with their three children. You can follow Mark on Twitter: @markbatterson

My Review:

Bathing your children in prayer is really the only answer you have to life's little problems and worries that seem to creep up from time to time. I have very real recollections of my mother discerning at her bedside for her entire family. Her tear soaked bedside a reminder of the prayers she sent heavenward. She was always standing in intercessory prayer for my sisters and me. That Christian woman, my momma, knew how to get things to look better for us. The answer to it all was to go to the Lord in prayer and cover her children.

I'm eternally grateful that God gave me a mother who was not afraid to stand in our place and kneel before him and bathe us in prayer. She was a terrific mom and seeing her do that time and again was a testament to me when raising my children. This will span generations which is exactly what Mark is trying to teach us. I have definitely followed by example by covering my children with the ultimate protection Jesus' blood. Mark Batterson has written a book that is the companion to his earlier book The Circle Maker. He tells you exactly how powerful prayer is and how this is the only thing you as a parent will be able to do to fight the evil that is ready to come after our children. He shows you that it is very important for you to cover them in prayer because the enemy.... is not far behind. For those of you that would like to purchase a copy of this book please go to this link.

**Disclosure** This book was provided to me for free through Zondervan Publishing for my honest review.
on April 3, 2017
A thoughtful guide to praying for your children, young or adult. This is a nice complement to the Circle Maker, which I recommend you also read.
on October 21, 2012
A great book, make no mistake.

But after I read through it, I realised I wanted more and bought "The Circle Maker". Far, far better, with a lot more information, examples and thought provoking ideas. If you have the original, then understand that this variation will repeat some of the stories in that book, and will simply apply the processes in the original to your kids. If you have not yet read, "The Circle Maker", do yourself a favour and get it first, then decide if you want and need this one...
on April 11, 2017
Loved the easy read! Topics were varied and concise. Have already recommend to other parents before I finished the book!
on December 31, 2012
It has been a long time since I have read a book so immediately applicable, a book that literally drove me to my knees. It is a book that instilled a greater desire and conviction of the need for prayer and ways to pray specifically. But this book is much more than just a guide book. It is amazing that a book of just over 100 pages can have so much power and an incredibly lasting impact. This book was so powerful I did not trust myself to write a review at first; I waited until after a second reading and a month had passed to have some more perspective. All I can say is that it truly is an amazing book. I honestly believe that every Christian parent should read this book to be better equipped to pray for their children.

My first time reading this book I highlighted 20 passages. I have pulled out some of the best to highlight for you in small glimpses, some of the knowledge and wisdom that this book will impart.

Mark starts off by acknowledging that becoming a praying parent is hard work. To be disciplined to pray for our children is work and many in family life start to let things slide. "You don't become a praying parent by default. You do it by design, by desire, by discipline. Spiritual disciplines take sheer determination, but if you determine to circle your children in prayer, you will shape their destinies, just like Susanna Wesley shaped the destinies of her children. Your prayers will live on in their lives long after you die. Your prayers for your children are the greatest legacy you can leave." p. 18. From there he moved on to remind us that all our prayers must pass two tests: "It's imperative to distinguish between your will and God's will. Every prayer, including your prayers for your children, must pass a twofold litmus test: your prayers must be in the will of God and for the glory of God. ... Prayer is the way we take our hands off and place our children in the hands of God." p. 20-21. We need to pray God's will and God's glory or else we are just not doing it right.

Mark's earlier book, The Circle Maker, has been immensely popular. This book is an off-shoot but can easily be read without reading the first one. Mark States: "Drawing prayer circles is a metaphor that simply means "to pray without ceasing." It's praying until God answers. It's praying with more intensity, more tenacity. It's not just praying for; it's praying through. ... We need to start praying ALAT prayers - as long as it takes. That's what praying circles is all about. It's resolving in your heart of hearts that you will pray until the day you die." p. 29 And that is what God is after for us as parents, to be Prayer Warriors in our children's corner, interceding for them, to stand between them and the enemy and them and the world, to raise them up in the ways of God. "Parenting is the hardest thing you'll ever do. And the more you love your kids, the harder it is." p. 31. The more we love, the more we can be hurt.

Finally, he reminds us this will be a life-long journey. "Does this mean the final battle has been fought? We know better; we're parents! The challenges never end, but we need to celebrate our victories along the way. And for the record, prayer is the way we fight our battles. Prayer is the difference between you fighting for God and God fighting for you. Secret prayer is our secret weapon." p. 33, 34. We will be praying until we go home to God or until Christ comes again.

This was an incredible little book. I cannot say how beneficial it was to my prayer life and know I will be reading many more of Batterson's books in the months to come. Give it a try - it is more than worth the low price tag!
on December 27, 2012
Do you have about 2 hours? Do you have children? Then you need to read this booklet. More a guide than a step by step how to, Batterson details the importance of praying for your children and suggests areas and ways to do so.

Batterson begins with honesty, "you'll never be a perfect parent, but you can be a praying parent. Prayer is your highest privilege as a parent." We are reminded that, "you don't become a praying parent by default. You do it by design, by desire, by discipline." While this may be a quick read, the implementation requires time, effort, and work. This isn't a name it and claim it idea. This is a pray it for as long as it takes program.

We are reminded that throughout the Bible are promises that God has made to us. Promises like Psalm 37:5 "Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act" or James 1:12 which tells us that "blessed is the man who perseveres under trials...he will receive the crown of life". As a parent, with God's guidance and instructions, we should be using these promises to pray for our children, to guide us in training them in the way they should go.

Included in this booklet are what Batterson calls 5 prayer circles. These are Circling the Promises of God (literally circling them in the Bible), Making Prayer Lists (individualized lists for each of your children), Creating Prayer Mantras (short sayings or verses that help you to focus on God's truths), Forming Prayer Circles (inviting others to pray with you) and Praying through the Bible (allowing God to lead your prayer as you read His word).

While there may not be a lot of meat to this booklet, the bones really do give you something to chew on. My only complaint is that at times it feels like an advertisement for the book this spun off from, The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears. I haven't read it and therefore can't comment on the content.
on November 21, 2012
So, here is the situation... I like to read. I read just about every day and I usually pick up a hardcover book or a nice paperback book and I read during lunch. What happens when you forget your book at home and have nothing to read at lunch? ... well, I buy books then. I purchased the e-book Praying Circles Around Your Children by Mark Batterson. Best couple of dollars spent this month.

This book is an amazing quick read that is full of great tips on how to pray for your children and why you should be praying as well. This book is very practical and inspired me to write down my prayers for my son. This book gives you hope and simple easy to remember ways to pray over, around, and with your children.

I found this book to be just what I needed at just the right time. I love God. I love Jesus and I want the same for my son Lucas. I would recommend this book to any parent, any grandparent at any stage of their children's lives. Prayer has the power to change and I pray that you will pick up this book and begin "circling" your children in prayer.

Here is the books description from the internet:

Mark Batterson shares a perfect blend of biblical yet practical advice that will revolutionize your prayer life by giving you a new vocabulary and a new methodology. You'll see how prayer is your secret weapon. Through stories of parents just like you, Batterson shares five prayer circles that will not only help you pray for your kids, but also pray through your kids. Batterson teaches about how to create prayer lists unique to your family, claim God-inspired promises for your children, turn your family circle into a prayer circle, and discover your child's life themes. And he not only tells you how, he illustrates why. As Batterson says, 'I realize that not everyone inherited a prayer legacy like I did, but you can leave a legacy for generations to come. Your prayers have the power to shape the destiny of your children and your children's children. It's time to start circling.'
on January 10, 2013
Mark Batterson, author of Primal, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day, & Wild Goose Chase, is passionate about parents praying for their kids.

In his original text, The Circle Maker, Batterson emphasizes the power of persistent prayer and the effect that it is on those being prayed for, as well as those who are praying.

If you've read the original text, you will understand that the general principles from that text are being applied in this text.

The author encourages parents & grandparents to understand the following about prayer & their kids.

1. Use scripture to guide the nature of your prayers. Simply pray scripture!

2. Know that praying is changing you as well as those you are praying for. Everyone benefits from prayer!

3. Keep praying. Rejoice in the answers, when they come. But don't stop praying because they've been answered or haven't been answered....yet!

4. Pray with your children. Do not let time pass by that you do not let your children hear you pray, nor that you do not hear them pray.

This text is a very brief paperback book that is easily formatted for the encouragement of praying for your children. The packet of books came with a box of chalk to emphasize the idea of circling your children in prayer.

Overall, this is a light book, an easy read, but very encouraging & most certainly useful in parenting and/or grand-parenting.

I received this book from Zondervan publishing in exchange for an honest review.
on July 10, 2013
I have read a few chapters of the original book by Mark Batterson called The Circle Makers Prayer. This book was a lot easier to read. I do feel that I now need to go back and try to read it again. Praying Circles Around Your Children is a very quick read, therefor I feel it leaves some things out. However, it's full of creative ways to pray for your children that will inspire you. While I think this book is geared for parents of children in high school or younger, I feel that any parent can get something from it. If you are like me and your children are mostly adults, you understand that you are not really finished praying for them until you are called Home. I especially liked the ideas that included keeping a written record of how and what you pray for your children so that they have tangible evidence of your prayers. The author emphasizes praying the Scriptures which I heartily agree with!
I highly recommend this book for parents and grandparents who want to give their children the best gift they can give them. When we put them into the hands of their Creator, we don't have to worry over them and we can be assured He will take better care of them than we can.