Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Prebles' Artforms: An Introduction to the Visual Arts, 10th Edition
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on May 11, 2012
It is very similar to previous editions, and it is most definitely not worth the price the publisher charges. Its the old scheme (Lets add a chapter and some pictures and charge 120 $ for some book we invested a decade ago and recovered our loses a long time ago)

I felt like this book ignored classical artists and instead put the focus on some random contemporary (still alive) artists, who did very little in term of accomplishments. Granted this book is used as an introduction to art, but it is an inaccurate introduction, at an inflated price. It still puzzles me why some universities make use of it. Students should be learning the origins of art and the reasons for its developments in different parts of the world, not examples on how some popular artists do art today in America.

Thats it, thats what I was trying to review: The examples are horrible, the material itself is ok.
on September 19, 2011
This book is being used for an art class,the only real problem is the description lead me to believe that it came with the "myartslab" access key. So a week and $90 something dollars plus shipping later, I find out that it did not contain the access code... Leading me to have to purchase the access code a week after I ordered the book for another $40 plus dollars. I could have purchased it at the campus bookstore for a little less and had it when the class started. This is one purchase from amazon that I'm not happy with.
on March 8, 2012
As with the other person's review, I too liked the book. Plus the "A la carte" design makes it easy to take just a few pages around with me.
I have nothing against the book's authors or publisher, so please keep that in mind as you read my later paragraphs. In review of the book itself, there's a chance some of you might find the vocabulary a bit daunting, as the juxtapositions of elongated words are at times unique. I on the other hand rather enjoyed the author's free use of a diverse lexicon. Though I'm pretty sure imact (p132) is a typographical error for impact, unless maybe the author is using an artistic license liberally.

But as the other reviewer discovered; the "myartslab" codes-DO NOT WORK-and are useless, unless your instructor takes part in them.
The code I received was new, unused, and I also had used a lab code for another book before without problems. For this book however Pearson, the online source company, requires that instructors take part in order to utilize the content at all, period, end of story. Because my instruct does not, I had no instructor "course code" and hence the "student code" was useless. Even though much of the online content has little to do with the instructors. The codes are already only good for one year, for which I also see no logical reasoning.

I contacted Pearson directly about their online content. They weren't even friendly, then suggested it was completely the seller's fault-utter nonsense. The packaging for the code says nothing at all on the outside about requiring the instructor ID code to operate, rather it does explain so on the inside-after-you break the seal. All I wanted was to listen to the prerecorded audio files, (the code offers) so why am I denied access to those files after buying their product? I call shenanigans.

I question the legitimacy of a company selling an educational product, where only after purchasing will the buyer learn that the product is not usable because he isn't part of a very specific group. That the product is non refundable after learning this, and the company making the material will simply blame these faults on the distributor, ie. amazon. The mycomplab content by pearson for my other textbook didn't require this, but they have much the same types of online content.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm never buying something with myartslab/mycomplab or anything from pearson ever again, unless it's cheaper than buying the book alone. If you're reading this and your instructor hasn't said he/she takes part in the online content, my suggestion is to save some money and buy the book without the code. If you're an instructor and don't feel like dealing with pearson, please clearly warn your students against this company, and their strange secret rules.
on December 26, 2012
When you buy this book it comes with a internet study guide to help you understand the art pieces if you need a little extra help, however they want to charge you 100.00 more for an access code that you should get when buying the book new. I contacted Amazon thinking that the card fell out of the book because I didn't get mine, they quickly sent me a new book and it too did not have the card in it. I contacted Prebles letting them know that the books were published without the card and they just told me to buy the access code....
I just paid 130.00 for the book, which included the code. They didn't care at ALL.
on July 31, 2011
As an art professor who has taught with a number of different art appreciation/intro to art textbooks, I can say there is no single perfect text that fits my needs. I am, therefore, one who teaches the subject matter of art, not just "teaching to the text" as so many tend to do.

As to this particular textbook, I do feel it is on the higher end of offerings for such courses. It could use some improvements, such as more visual examples, whether artworks or charts/graphs especially in chapters 3 and 4 so that students can better grasp some of the basic concepts of elements and principles. Also, a nice feature that is lacking here but which exists in Living with Art 9th ed. is cross-referencing of artwork examples so that students better understand the universality of the exemplified concept.

Despite the few flaws listed above, the 9th edition is FAR superior in my opinion to the brand new 10th edition. Unfortunately, it is not in my power to decide which edition is used and I must abide by the college's decision. Thus, my students will unfortunately have to pay for a more expensive yet inferior required product. This is not to say that the 10th edition is terrible, though it is now confusingly organized in a few chapters; but I am appalled that the author chose to skim on his treatment of the basic necessary elements of art and to omit texture entirely. And it confuses most students to tell them to study the principles of design when the chapter covering them is now called "How an Artwork is Built" and only mentions the phrase "principles of design" once that is not in any way emphasized though this is what they have been called for eons. Luckily, the 9th edition still dedicates an entire chapter to all of the elements of art and is well organized in general.

All in all, the 9th edition is a great buy that I would prefer to continue using in my courses if I were allowed. So for any other instructors searching for an inexpensive and good text to use if your institution allows such flexibility, this is a good choice. As I said before, I don't teach to the text and instead utilize the general concepts covered along with my own supplemental online materials (as I find those offered by most of the textbook companies lacking in either clarity, relevance, or are too specific to what is written exactly in the text). But this also keeps me on my toes and the subject fresh for me year after year. So for instructors, I suggest using this along with older editions of Living with Art (Getlein) and/or even World of Art (Sayre) in your personal "toolbox" of instructional materials to offer your students the broadest and most thorough treatment of the subject as each text offers something just a little different from the others.Living with Art Living with Art A World of Art
on April 10, 2013
Honestly I ordered this for a art course and I wasn't that thrilled about the book. A lot of it was stuff I could have simply opened my Art History textbook for or looked up online. I rarely actually used the book for class unless there was something I couldn't find anywhere else. I felt like there was a lot of irrelevant information that really didn't make sense in certian aspects of the learning. If I would of known beforehand that the book was useless I would have never even ordered it.
on June 10, 2016
As stated by others this book could use some improvements, such as more visual examples, whether artworks or charts/graphs especially in chapters 3 and 4 so that students can better grasp some of the basic concepts of elements and principles. Also, a nice feature that is lacking here but which exists in Living with Art 9th ed. is cross-referencing of artwork examples so that students better understand the universality of the exemplified concept.

This book ignored classical artists as pointed out by another reviewer, and instead put the focus on some random contemporary (still alive) artists, who did very little in term of accomplishments. This book is used as an introduction to art, but it is an inaccurate introduction, at an inflated price. Students should be learning the origins of art and the reasons for its developments in different parts of the world, not examples on how some popular artists do art today in America.
on August 18, 2013
Don't put only half of Ogata Korin's Cranes in your book and try to do a formal analysis of it.

When teaching people about formal analysis, you can't just describe half the painting! Eesh!

There are two parts to Ogata Korin's Cranes piece. Their analysis of this piece seems subjective and odd.

Also, putting Africa, the Americas and the indigenous people of Australia all in one chapter... fail.

Esp. when you dedicated multiple chapters to western art history.

It is a good book though to teach college students to question the validity and bias of what they are reading.

Also, to question the idea of art as something that will lift your spirits, which I feel is the angle this book takes.

Often it describes art as something that will give you positive feelings, but sometimes effective makes you mad, or agitated, or confused.

Also the definition of creativity is ridiculous! Ugh!

But, alas, they do have many interesting artists in the book. I just think that if you removed the fluffy language and let the students decide how they want to define and understand art, instead of trying to push this feel good idea on them, it would be a much more effective book!
on July 16, 2015
My copy was used, but served it's purpose well. Nice images, this worked for me in an art appreciation class where the teacher requested a newer version of the text. Since the quizzes were mainly about terms and works of art, this older edition was fine.
on December 14, 2012
I think this was my favorite art history book. I have had my share of them from high school up until college and this one was probably the best read. The material wasn't dry or hard to read, I felt engaged the entire book, and the artwork was displayed beautifully. If you have to get this book for school I think you will enjoy it. If you are looking for a art history book to read just because, this book is for you.