Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 64 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 71 reviews
on July 13, 2010
If you actually care about money and don't sleep on a bed of $100 bills, then you may be considering a cheaper alternative. A hood is a hood and it's goal is to block light.

Differences between this hood and Canon EW78BII Lens Hood for EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon SLR Lens is felt and fit.

When first applying this hood, the fit was snug. Nothing to the point where I was concerned, but noticeably more snug than Canon's version. Canon's hoods also have somewhat of a "snap" when they are fully turned so they somewhat lock into place. This hood has no issues holding in place, but at least with Canon's you know it's in position. Luxury? I think so.

The felt is the other factor. While there are many debates about the felt being necessary, you can't argue that light reflects more off of plastic vs. felt. Granted there are very few situations that the planets would align and the light would bounce just right as to affect image quality, but it could happen. I personally have never really had an issue, but if it's something that you would worry about, then step it up.

Regardless this is a good product and it's durability and design is certainly enough to get the job done. This hood will also serve the purpose of some extra "protection" for little cost.

If you spend any time outside, then you want a hood. This will get the job done and I would buy this one again if I needed a different size and Canon didn't provide one.
on June 20, 2011
Going by what some of the other reviews said, I figured why spend $30 on an official lens hood when this one will do the trick. But that only holds true if this one does do the trick. Which it does not.

Now I am a big fan of generics and usually they win, but this is one of those times where I feel like it's just not worth the risk.

(I tried this product with this lens: Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras)

First and foremost, I felt that lens hood does not attach well to the lens. It is difficult to turn and it feels like I am putting too much torque on the lens and I do not want to damage it. It would be a shame to snap the motor in a $500 lens over a $30 savings in lens hood. Furthermore, when I did finally get it on, and it felt like I turned it all the way, the hood was angled at about 45 degrees. Every other hood I've used had the large petals on the top/bottom or left/right. Again, maybe that's a design choice, but I didn't like it as much.

Returned this item, although I may try another of the generic hoods before going for the expensive one.
on January 3, 2014
I love Canon. I love their cameras and their lenses. I do not, however, love the prices they charge for accessories, especially lens hoods. True, this item may not be the same build quality as the Canon version (or maybe it is? who knows?), but it reduces lens flare, and if you hit it against something and it breaks, but still protects your lens, it has definitely served its purpose. (And if it does break, you can buy another ... and another ... and another and still not spend as much as you would on the OEM version.) I've had this hood for the better part of a year with no problems, and I would recommend them to anyone.
on September 15, 2011
Currently $4 - I paid $5.95, Price is good, though considering it would have costed less than $1 to manufacture in china & shipping to US - if they would have spend additional 50cents - they could have made better product.

Here are my pain points:

They hood is very tight on my lens. Like in many other reviews, I was scared I might break my expensive lens. But as suggested _ bought a 150 number sand paper from dollar store, rubbed the back of hood to take out some material. It took may be 10 minutes for me to do this. I need to take considerable amount of plastic from the bottom of the hood so that the hood fits lightly on the lens. used a vacuum cleaner to clean of the plastic dust. Perfect Fit.

so, If you are ready to do this small amount of home work, & save a $30 buck go for this. Worth it. Ovrall quality of the hood is good, I took off one star for this small discomfort.
on August 11, 2016
Made of tough plastic, and easy to attach and detach.
on July 17, 2011
At first I thought this thing was going to be great because I put it on the lens backwards (the normal way that I put hoods on lenses for storage) and it went on smoooooth. But then I decided to test it out properly and when I tried to screw it onto the lens in the correct direction it did not fit at all. I couldn't even turn it.

At this point it would have been more exspensive to ship this piece of crap back than I paid to buy it so after trying to widen the gaps a bit it got a little easier to turn but still too hard. So I just threw it away and ordered the fotodiox equivalent, which works VERY well.

So in conclusion, the copy of this that I received was not usable at all. Maybe they have some sort of QC issues. But I would stay away if I were you.
on January 19, 2011
The description does not mention that the inside of hood is not felted, and I didn't read the reviews before purchasing this hood. I have to trust it's going to be fine since other reviewers have said it hasn't been an issue yet. It does appear to be roughed up or bead blasted on the inside to reduce light reflections. It hasn't been sunny in my area so I can't test the reflective qualities of the material yet. Considering that this hood is only a fraction of cost of the canon, I think it's probably a safe buy for casual photographers. If your a pro and your reputation is on the line, go with the cannon. I have to think that canon puts felt on the inside for a good reason.
on February 20, 2013
I wanted to get a refund but Amazon will only refund me 1/4 of what I paid which I find to be a ripoff. I have a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lens for my EOS T3i and this hood's diameter exceeds the entire lens barrel. I'm an amateur with DSLR's but I thought this would fit and it's just a matter of the height of the bayonet edges not the diameter. I found this item during one of Amazon's useless search function and inconsistent vague product details. Apart from all this issues the lens hood seems to be made of sturdy material but I can't give a better rating because of what I mentioned initially.
on August 6, 2011
I purchased the off brand lens hoods for my 28-135 lens from Amazon because of the cost. I thought lens hood, any brand would work. When the lens hood came and I tried to get it on the camera lens I realized my mistake.I could not get it to screw on and off the lens with a lot of work. I sure did not want to be twisting and pulling on the end of my lens. I sent it back and got the Canon lens hood. It screws right on and off without any problems which is what you would expect from canon.
on October 1, 2007
Worked perfectly. Canon's wide angle lenses (especially their big (72mm filter size)zooms) really have a problem with sunlight intrusion. You'd think Canon would include this with those big-aperture lenses...but they don't. Don't know if the smaller diameter lenses have as much problem with stray light intrusion; but I highly recommend this for the larger diamter lenses...it's almost a "must have". The hood is lightweight, plastic and attaches reasonably easily (seems to get cross-threaded occasionally). Does a great job keeping out the sunlight intrusion.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.