Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Prediabetes: What You Need to Know to Keep Diabetes Away (Marlowe Diabetes Library)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ryley Walker Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on July 30, 2006
I was diagnosed with prediabetes and immediately did a search for more information on this potentially dangerous condition. This book is wonderful. I found myself a student again, studying and highlighting all the pertinent phrases and best of all, the author has written this all in plain English! I didn't have to have a medical degree to read it.

I finished it by the next day and have since started tracking my sugars, especially the carbs, after having a look at what my future could hold if I continued eating all the processed foods and being the couch potato that I am.

This book could change your future -order it today.
on March 22, 2007
I can't say enough good things about this book! This is a very intelligent yet clear overview of prediabetes, the factors that affect it, and what you can do about it. The information is the best I've found so far (including information from the American Diabetes Association), and the writing is excellent. The thing I like the most is that Ms. Becker's attitude is frank and realistic towards the reader--this _is_ serious stuff we're dealing with--but she never once judges or blames the patient/reader. This book is very encouraging and practical. Worth every penny, and I'd have paid much more. (I've read it twice within two weeks.)
on July 26, 2010
This book is a little dated now but has very good medical inforamtion about prediabetes and what causes it. for someone who is not overweight and always ate at least somewhat healthily, it was a shock to get the diagnosis. This book explains the genetic component better than other materials I've read.
on May 6, 2007
This book is like getting everyday tips about a person's experience so you don't get the disease. It saves the reader tons of time. The medical community does not spend enough time educating their patients. This books is the first step in solving this problem. I also highly recommend Fuhrman's Eat to Live.
on July 25, 2007
I've been worried about developing diabetes for the past year. Last fall my fastin glucose level was a little high. It went back down when I started using my treadmill. Then I started a long daily commute, which ended the treadmill. The glucose level was back up even more.

This book has been immensely helpful. I love the guiding words "Eat less, move more" as a simple way to begin changing my lifestyle. I always tried things to extreme to lose weight and failed over time. I'm also taking her advice and getting a glucose testing device to test after eating various things to see how they affect me. My doctor thought it was a great idea.

Anyway, I can't say enough good about this book.
on November 28, 2013
Gretchen's books give you the philosophy & science to cope with PreDiabetes type 2 & learn what you need to thrive with this diagnoses. She writes in a humorous but scientific, understandable important way. I love her idea of "it's not how much you eat, but to eat small portions of the very best food you can find. You're a gourmet." I have lost 8 lbs in 2 months by just following her suggestions and all my blood numbers are in the normal range. I essentially gave up bread & sautéing fish with flour on it. Now I bake mostly my fish with herbs, lemon, & a little olive oil. I also started walking. Her First Year Diabetes type 2 gives one a good basic understanding of the disease, which if you are given the diagnosis of PreDiabetes type 2 is important to know to hopefully avoid Developing Diabetes Type 2.
on May 24, 2007
This book is very informative and thorough. It covers all the major topics you need to be aware of in case you are at risk of contracting diabetes type 2. If diabetes runs in your family and, you are overweight and sedentary, you seem to be at risk. The book is divided into short, easy to read chapters. Ms. Becker, besides being knowledgeable, is a gifted writer that uses humour and a no non-sense approach to present her material. I am glad that this book fell in my hands. Everybody concerned with and/or at risk of diabetes should read this book.
on June 18, 2016
I think that this book is well organized and fairly comprehensive. It is easily understandable.

I had only one problem with it. The discussion of the HbA1c test results is missing. This test is used to diagnose diabetes by many physicians It is not error free. This test is used to determine the level of blood sugar over the previous 3-4 months. It is used as a screening device. It should be utilized along with daily blood results.

Some persons may feel the book is dated because of this, however. it covers the basics very well.
on August 27, 2008
I bought this book about a year ago. A very good read. I'm 6 ft 2 in tall, and at that time I was almost 200 lbs with a fasting blood glucose score as high as 108. A year+ later, and after following both the author's and NutriSystem's guidance, I'm at 185 lbs or less with a glucose score of 96. Works for me.
on June 20, 2005
This book gives you 50 different ways to approach prediabetes. The introduction by itself is worth the price of the book (Diabetes 101). Highly recommended.