Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 87 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 153 reviews
on October 23, 2016
No one ever pictures they'd be a NICU family with a preemie baby. We sure didn't see it ourselves. Our daughter was born on the edge of viability, just barely 27 weeks & was an extremely sick micropreemie baby. (She weighed 1 pound and a few ounces.) After 184 days of being in the NICU, my husband & I were still in a tailspin, looking for answers...this book gave us a direction to start. It's comprehensive, but compassionate. It gives resources but remains relatable. Things YOU NEED when preemie life gets rolling and you don't know which way is up. The authors speak from a place as both mommies and as professionals. We appreciated that it wasn't just a pet project from two academics; they've been there-even understand child loss & stillbirth. For us, our journey into disability & special needs has become a little more clear and the perspectives offered in this book certainly gave words to some of our experiences. I'm recommending it AND the app to other NICU families and NICU grads.
on August 31, 2016
Saved my sanity during our nicu stay. Word of caution: take the author's advice and read only the sections that apply to your baby, not the whole book!
on July 26, 2017
Our daughter was born 3 months early and this book has been a huge help in navigating the NICU and our own expectations. My only complaint is that the book still addresses dad involvement as a bonus. The tone and approach for dads make it seem like they are a bonus parent opting in at times and that's just not consistent with the way a lot of men are stepping up to be active and involved dads. Would love to see that update in the third version of this book
on March 18, 2013
This book has been crucial in keeping our sanity during our 3 month NICU stay. It has calmed us during many could-have-been-terrifying moments. It told us exactly when our girls were likely to get anemia, which they did. It explained common tests and when they are administered and the timing of each of them has been spot on. I was able to predict so much of what would happen in the NICU because of this book. It really helped me to be an informed parent. I also appreciated the personal stories throughout.

Every other day, my husband walks into the room with his face buried in the book and tells me how useful it is. I've never seen him comment so much on one particular book before. We are both very grateful that we bought this book at the start of our NICU journey. It is the perfect gift for someone who has delivered too soon.
on July 15, 2017
GREAT information and guidance in this book, which was highly recommended by one of the NICU nurses where my premature granddaughter has been for the past 75 days! My daughter has been referring to it a lot and will even more, now that her daughter is coming home!
on June 18, 2013
I purchased this book primarily for my daughter and her husband but I have read portions as well. Our grandson was born at 29 weeks gestation. This book realistically walks the family through the NICU experience and the stages of being born too soon. The hospital has a copy for parents to borrow but we wanted to own a copy and we refer to it frequently. I would STRONGLY recommend purchasing this book the MINUTE a pregnant mother learns she may deliver early. That was our only mistake. One may think that buying this in advance might somehow "jinx" the pregnancy; don't let that stop you. We knew at the 20 week ultrasound that the baby "might" be born early. As the days passed, it became clear that that is exactly what was going to happen. We were so focused on the pregnancy and trying to "stay pregnant" that it didn't occur to us to get a book like this "just in case."
on May 7, 2015
Being a new mom can be stressful, and being a new mom of a preemie is far more stressful. My son is 25-week preemie. During the stay in NICU, reading this book made me release a little since it helped me understand the medical concerns on my son. Though English is not my first language, I found it easy to read and comprehend. I like the question-answer part since it covers a lot of my concerns, and it's straightforward. I highly recommend this book to the parent of preemie(s). Hopefully, it can help, and all the preemies are healthy and happy.
on May 3, 2014
As the introduction states, this book is not meant to read from cover to cover and I think that's a really important thing to remember. My son was born at 31 weeks and it was very tempting to just sit down and ready about anything that could go wrong but I decided to stick to the advice and just reference it before doctor's appointments or when I have a question and in that sense, it has been very helpful.
on January 20, 2006
This book really helped my husband and I understand all the medical lingo that was thrown our way. Having a baby in the NICU is not easy and not only does it help us to understand what is really going on with our baby (also makes everything sound less scary than it actually is), it helps us to understand the feelings that we're going through and how to cope.I highly recommend this book.
on October 5, 2015
Was on hospital bedrest for 3 months. This truly prepared me for what was to come. Did not have time to read cover to cover after baby was here. Grateful that I did read it before, so I could look for specific info once baby was here. Hubby was grateful that I could break down what was being said (ECMO, ventilators, etc.)