Customer Reviews: PTC Premium 33ft / 10 Meter USB 2.0 Active Repeater / Extension Cable
4-month subscription Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon fall24 fall24 fall24  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle for Kids Edition Frank Sinatra Shop Cycling on Amazon STEM

on December 6, 2010
First off, this is a LONG cable. 32ft/10m, whatever system you use, this is a nice long cable. By all accounts, it's a self-powered cable, but it wasn't a perfect cable.

I had mixed results when trying to use this on a Davis Weather Station. It would work for an hour or 2, and then the computer would report a loss of communication with the device. Unplugging it and plugging it back it would fix this issue. Now, I am not going to completely fault the cable, because the David weather systems are notoriously bad USB devices.

Now, for the part that confuses me. I had an old USB powered hub that I hooked up between this cable and the weather station cable. Since I've done that, it's worked flawlessly, or at least significantly better.

All this being said, it is one of only a few really long USB extension cables. I will get it again if I need something over 15ft, I just hope it works better on my next device.
on February 1, 2013
I use this with an Alfa Wireless Adapter for outdoor use. The original cable for the Alfa was a 15 foot cable with a dual USB connectors at the end. It didn't work very well at all with only one end plugged in my laptop. So, it needed more "juice" from the 2nd USB connection.

When I replaced the cable with the PTC, my signal strength jumped dramatically. Easily 2-3 bars more as seen from my XP WiFi status icon.

I would not hesitate recommending this product.
on March 20, 2011
Initially, I was pleased with this product because it worked as advertised, but then Windows 7 would complain intermittently at boot time that a USB device was not recognized. A circumention that I stumbled on was to simply disconnect the cable from the 4-port USB 2.0 HUB D-Link DUB-H4 High Speed USB 2.0 4-Port Hub it was connected to and then re-connect it to. Everything worked fine after that. That was too much hassle for me though, so I returned that product and purchased this: Tripp Lite U042-036 USB2.0 A/B Repeater Cable - 36ft.

I have re-booted the computer 10 times without incident.

The Tripp Lite product seems to be better designed because it's a repeater with the electronics located at the middle of the cable where the signal can be repeated before it gets too weak versus the the reviewed product which had "signal booster" electronics located at the end of the cable.

One important difference between the two products is that the Tripp Lite cable is an A to B style (like for a printer) while the other was an extension (male A to female B). Since I am using a USB hub that take a 'B' connection, this worked perfectly for me.
on March 8, 2013
Guess what? It's a 32-foot USB cable and it works!

I have the cable connected to a USB microphone placed in another room that I use as a recording space. I've used the mic and the cable several times now and haven't noticed any audio glitches or other problems. Everything seems A-okay.
on October 19, 2012
This cable worked fine for a while. One fine day, Windows took forever to boot. It took so long to boot that I thought it had crashed. When it finally did boot, it reported that a it could not recognize a USB device. So, I had to go through the troubleshooting process of disconnecting USB cables connecting them at different ports to determine if it was a problem with a particular USB device, a header/controller, etc. and waiting for the long re-boots until I unplugged this cable and the computer came up as quickly as before without reporting any issue.
Like the other reviewer, I believe a cable this long needs a repeater in the middle, not just at one end. I've now bought one with the repeater in the middle PTC - 20 Meters (64 Feet) USB 2.0 Active Extension / Repeater Cable A Male to A Female - Supports High Speed USB2.0 480 Mbps. So far, that one works flawlessly.
on August 28, 2010
I connected my desktop PC and USB mouse and USB keyboard. Both of them work very well. All function of both work well w/o any delay. I attached 6ft more extension USB cable for the mouse, still works well!! great!""
on April 23, 2013
I have 2 of these, 1 from another brand, leading from my HTPC around the perimeter of the room to my couch. I can hook up 2 gamepads or a keyboard and mouse using these without a stupid cord going across my living room. I even tried a 4-port hub with this to use the keyboard and mouse and that worked fine too - but I unhooked it with concerns about over-amping my USB bus. So far no problems, I can vouch that it works fine with Xbox 360 wired controllers, Microsoft Optical Mouse, and a Verbatim wireless keyboard receiver with no issues.
on July 8, 2015
I had my doubts about this going in but I needed to extend my Video Capture box from my entertainment center to my PC about 25 feet away. I was worried since I've bought some of those "Amazon Essentials" USB extension cables and my PC didn't detect anything attached to them. I though in order to repeat a signal you needed an external power source. And I was WRONG! It's over 30 feet and even still the signal reaches it's destination like a champ. This is for live streaming and I didn't notice any significant lag beyond what my box already introduces. I haven't tried extending it further than the lenght of the cable with other repeaters but I've read that works too. I've tried it with a keyboard, mouse, flash drive, and my capture box which pumps out quite a bit of data (1080p 30fps). Love this thing <3
on May 20, 2014
I originally purchased this product to use with my PS3's eye camera. In my living room I have a projector connected to my PS3 with it projecting on the opposite wall which is about 12 feet away. I need this cable because the eye camera connects to the PS3 via a USB cable. The eye's cable is only 6 feet long and I wanted to run the cable along the crown molding on the ceiling to keep it mostly out of sight. To do this I estimated that I would need approximately 28 feet of extension to run the cable down to the floor from the mounted projector, over to the corner, up the wall and behind the molding to the eye which I mounted atop the molding on the wall opposite the projector.
I bought this cable because I saw that it got several good reviews and even had a few reviews from people using it for their PS3 eye. I was later disappointed after I had everything setup because my PS eye kept cutting out. Signal transmission would stay pretty consistent unless I made too many moves or moved too quickly. What is the point of a motion camera if it can't detect motion???
I still have it mounted up mostly because I am too lazy to take it down again, and maybe I was just given a dud. But let this be a warning to anyone. TEST IT BEFORE YOU HAVE IT MOUNTED somewhere where it would be a pain to get down again.
on May 17, 2014
I worked with 1x33' and 2x33' using a Logitech c920 Webcam and discovered something weird. the Logitech software is terrible! with 1x33' the moving image would stutter at 1080p and with 2x33' it would stutter at 720p. however, when I used third party video server & viewer security camera like software (which used more of my CPU utilization), both of those tests looked great, and only 2x33' 1080p would still stutter, which is understandable. so don't condemn these cables until you've tried your Logitech webcam with NOT Logitech software.

as for the cable itself, just some minor grips as resellers here seem to send you different variations of the same USB 2.0 spec cable, so if uniformity is important to you, let the reseller know by email what you already have if you order 2 or more cables. I wish the female connector was deeper or there was a better way to lock M:F connections together. keep in mind the cable signal path at these lengths is sensitive, so don't put them where they can get suddenly bent or crushed, also realize >33' is beyond USB 2.0 spec, so don't expect miracles.