Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Preparing For The Occupational Therapy National Board Exam: 45 Days And Counting
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on June 30, 2010
I purchased this book to assist with guiding my preparation to write the NBCOT exam. As a foreign (Canadian) trained OT, I felt that using a review book would help fill in some of the gaps that may have been present as a result of not being educated from within the American healthcare system.

The book is divided into chapters, with each chapter representing a different practice area. Each chapter contains a summary of important information, as well as worksheets to fill out or case study questions to guide your studying. I found this outline structure helpful in allowing me to gloss over what I already knew, while focusing in more specifically on areas I knew were deficits. It also provided references to where the information could be found in common, up to date textbooks. Suggestions are given as to the amount of time to spend on each topic - generally 1 to 2 days per chapter. Some chapters required more study, while others required less.

The book also comes with a CD of practice multiple-choice questions, which can be structured as mini-exams in almost any way you want - subject matter, domain area, or just a general test. While I only made limited use of the exam CD, I did find it helpful in determining my ability to recall information when it was being presented back to me.

All in all, I would say the book does what it claims to do - helps to structure the study process for the exam. The authors provide tips and suggestions on how to approach exam preparation, as well as content summaries for the major practice areas. If you are looking for a book that will give you all of the information you'll need, this is not it. But, if you're looking for a resource to help guide you in figuring out what to know, this may do the trick for you... it worked for me!
on September 15, 2010
This CD gives you both customized quizzes and performance results that tell you what you want to know. Mac users beware; the software will give you test questions by chapter in an Html format but will not provide you with the tweaked out bells and whistles provided for the PC version that I enjoyed. I tried both- the Mac version doesn't provide you with the domain specific or customized test result features like the PC version does. The read me files or instructions do not explicitly tell you about the absence of these features either. Only after borrowing a friends PC did I see the obvious advantages of using the PC for this CD. Another plus about this CD-ROM is that it the content is not so hard as to discourage you like other learning aides (ie. TherapyEd review tests). Although I did find the TherapyEd book helpful to build my knowledge base for taking the NBCOT (I did not pass the first time), I learned that many details the T-ed book provided were too specific. The NBCOT makes you wait 45 days to take it again. If you're in that position, I'd recommend this book due to the 45 day structure, the specialized feedback, and the encouraging content.
on May 21, 2015
I used this book while I was studying for the NBCOT exam and I followed the whole schedule (actually 49 days for me) and completed the whole book. The book is self guided with great worksheets. I had the Therapy Ed book for studying which is nice but it is not interactive and it is rough to read with quite a few typos. While reading it I was not retaining much of the information. Using 45 Days and Counting while filling out and completing the worksheets really helped me retain the information. I would recommend this book to anyone, if you seriously complete the book and all the worksheets and assessments that come with it there is NO WAY you will fail the exam. Great use of my money!!!
on March 28, 2011
Overall, I found this book very helpful and used it as my main study guide. Seemed to give the right amount of detail, which the other books did not (the TherapyEd book especially had too much detail and the exams are much harder than the actual exam). I was somewhat frustrated with several chapters that were purely outlines as it seems to me a review book should contain the actual information, not tell me what I need to look up. However, the price is reasonable and certainly a lot better than the TherapyEd book, so overall a good study guide.
on April 1, 2013
Great book! I bought both this book and the therapy Ed book and ended up only using this book. It is in an outline format which makes easy to organize your reading and studying! It included everything I needed to know and obviously worked considering I passed the first time taking it! The cd has a bunch of review questions and the book also includes good practice worksheets and questions at the end of each chapter. Definitely recommend buying this book when studying for the nbcot.
on April 1, 2013
This is a great book to help with organizing your studies. The content was well organized, and the worksheets/quizzes at the end of each chapter were very helpful to review as my test date approached. This book is best used in conjunction with our classroom textbooks, such as Radomski, Pedretti, and Case-Smith for additional reference. The accompanying CD has challenging practice questions to help you figure out weak areas.
Best of luck!
on March 13, 2013
This book is structured perfectly so you can manage your study time efficiently. The CD is a great tool and provides exam questions identical to the ones you will see on the NBCOT Board Exam. Using this resource I was able to pass my board exam on the first time with flying colors. I recommend this book to all occupational therapy graduates preparing for their test.
on January 29, 2015
This book is very helpful in aiding with organizing your approach to studying. Before getting it, I felt like there was this huge, ominous amount of material to cover with no idea where to begin. It is also nice that it helps to keep you organized by letting you know how many days you should spend on each chapter, though I generally use this as a loose guide and sometime spend more or less time on it depending on my comfort level with the material.

There are some negatives to the book though:
I saw mentioned in other reviews that at many points it is just a very basic outline- this is true. Sometimes the bullet points will have one or two words with no description, which gets a little frustrating. They do provide references for each outline section to let you know where the material is from, and this is helpful if you have the book they are referring to, but if you don't then you are kind of out of luck unless you look the info up somewhere else. Also, since the book is a little bit older, it refers to the older edition of some books (Pedretti and OT for children, to be specific) so the page numbers given to refer to don't match up with the current editions.

Overall though, I have found it helpful. I am also using another study set and the material seems to match up closely.
on March 11, 2013
This book was a great study resource for me and I would recommend to anyone! For someone who needs structure to studying- this is the book for you! I passed the test my first time and attribute my study schedule and structure to this book!
on July 1, 2011
This book is more of an outline than a book. It's outdated a little bit. And several chapters just a diagnoses and tell you to look up symptoms, precautions, and treatments. I bought the TherapyEd book and it's a much better book. But there are some things in this book that aren't in the TherapyEd book and a lot of things in the TherapyEd book that aren't in this book. I'm using the books combined with each other. But if you buy only book book, I recommend TherapyEd. My friends from earlier classes used just the TherapyEd book and all of them passed.