- Buy 2, save 50% on 1. Offered by Amazon.com. Shop items
- Amazon Business: Make the most of your Amazon Business account with exclusive tools and savings. Login now
- Business Prime : For Fast, FREE shipping, premium procurement benefits, and member-only offers on Amazon Business. Try Business Prime free.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Present Danger (Rocky Mountain Courage) Paperback – April 6, 2021
Enhance your purchase
The Amazon Book Review
Book recommendations, author interviews, editors' picks, and more. Read it now
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Special offers and product promotions
From the Back Cover
They'll be fighting for the truth--and their lives.
Former FBI Special Agent Jack Tanner is working as a detective in Montana when he comes across a body in the national forest during a search and rescue mission. He's committed to finding the killer, even if it means working alongside his old flame, US Forest Service Special Agent Terra Connors.
When Terra discovers that the murder victim had ties to a powerful and dangerous trafficker of archaeological artifacts, the investigation takes a deadly turn--one that hits too close to home. As Terra fears she lacks the courage to face what comes next, Jack is more determined than ever to protect her. But he's failed her before.
If he fails this time, it will cost them far more than just their hearts.
"Hold on to your seat and your heart as you enjoy this thrill ride!"--Rachel Dylan, bestselling author of the Capital Intrigue series
"A riveting read you won't want to put down."--Lynette Eason, bestselling, award-winning author of the Danger Never Sleeps series
"A wild ride. I couldn't read the final chapters fast enough!"--Lynn H. Blackburn, award-winning author of the Dive Team Investigations series
Elizabeth Goddard has sold over one million books and is the USA Today bestselling and award-winning author of more than fifty romance novels and counting, including the romantic mystery The Camera Never Lies--a 2011 Carol Award winner. She is a Daphne du Maurier Award for Excellence in Mystery and Suspense finalist for her Mountain Cove series--Buried, Backfire, and Deception--and a Carol Award finalist for Submerged. When she's not writing, she loves spending time with her family, traveling to find inspiration for her next book, and serving with her husband in ministry. For more information about her books, visit her website at www.ElizabethGoddard.com.
About the Author
- Publisher : Revell (April 6, 2021)
- Language : English
- Paperback : 384 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0800737989
- ISBN-13 : 978-0800737986
- Item Weight : 13.6 ounces
- Dimensions : 5.5 x 0.96 x 8.5 inches
- Best Sellers Rank: #65,969 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Reviews with images
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Bestselling and award-winning author Elizabeth Goddard has penned another dynamic, romantic suspense novel with the release of PRESENT DANGER (Rocky Mountain Courage Book #1). When you start to read this novel, mark off some time as you are going to quickly get swallowed up in this plot! Goddard starts with an action packed scenario involving a small plane crash in the mountains. Just when you think the sabotaged plane is going to be the main mystery, Goddard drops in another piece of the puzzle. Former FBI Special Agent Jack Tanner is now working as a Detective in Montana. While on a search and rescue mission, he stumbles across a dead body. Determined to find the killer gets much more complicated when he discovers he will be working alongside his old flame, US Forest Service Special Agent Terra Connors. Terra discovers some very disconcerting news about the victim which puts a target on her back. As the threats escalate, Jack realizes that perhaps the responsibility he feels for Terra stems from far more than a professional capacity. However, crossing that line could put both of their lives in danger!
Goddard packs this story with plenty of twists and turns that will keep even the keenest of readers guessing who the real culprit/culprits is/are until the very end! It is a wild ride of an adventure that includes hidden crimes, open threats, and long-buried family secrets! She weaves the romance in slowly and has you wondering if the couple will ever get together as they have many factors to overcome from their past relationship. I thoroughly enjoyed every page of this story!
I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Revell. The opinions expressed here are completely my own and without influence.
This author has written a beautiful tale about second chances and I look forward to reading her next novel.
#1 This is a long review, so pull up a chair and grab a bowl of popcorn. You’ll be here awhile. #2 When I read a review, I want substantial information. So I will not skimp on the details. Which may mean some spoilers, so watch out.
Synopsis: When a local is found dead in the mountains, US Forest Service Special Agent Terra Connors joins forces with her ex-boyfriend former FBI agent Jack Tanner to find the killer.
Favorite Quote: “The direction your life takes can often come down to one decision, one moment in time.”
I’ll be honest with y’all: I hate romantic suspense.
Now, don’t get me wrong—I love romance and I love suspense. And what’s even better? The two of them together! However, I have the hardest time enjoying the genre romantic suspense. Nothing ever seems fleshed out or developed, so I never get into the story, the characters, the romance, or the suspense. And if I can’t get into it, odds are I won’t finish it.
So, yes, I was taking a risk on Present Danger. I wanted to give romantic suspense yet another chance—plus, the cover looks awesome. In the end, I made it to Chapter 46 (out of 65), before I knew I couldn’t force myself to read any more and I needed to get this review done.
Since I never write a negative review (bet you didn’t see that coming, but it’s true), I’ll try to keep my pros and cons concise and clear so you can understand just why I couldn’t finish this book.
1. Goddard knows her stuff. This is kind of a pro and a con, but since I can appreciate an author who knows what she’s writing about, I’ll label it a pro. If you have to write about highfalutin government agents, it pays to know all of the details, names, processes, and information. Plus, she would give a quick and subtle definition of what those things were—like when she used an abbreviation or mentioned a certain position—for us dummies.
2. The writing was clear and focused. In writing a suspense, thriller, or other high-stakes sort of book, having clear prose is imperative. As much as I like it when authors wax poetic, I also understand when clean, straightforward writing is necessary to envision and comprehend.
3. She tried. I gotta give her points for trying. She gave her characters backstories, sob stories, and a few moments of into-the-eye-gazing (you know, those moments where time stands still and the hero and heroine just look at each other...and look…and look...until your eyeballs fall out). I do think that the whole joining-forces-with-the-ex-flame/partner trope is way overused in romantic suspense, but Goddard did have the good sense to leave some things in the dark (like the reasons for Jack’s leaving, both Terra and the FBI) for a while to increase the tension.
1. There wasn’t enough development. You know where every single romantic suspense—or suspense in general, actually—fails?
Immediately, the story jumps into a plane crash and a murder and an investigation—and not only is all of that within the first three chapters difficult to follow, but I missed out on getting to know Terra and Jack.
So, suffice it to say that when I don’t know or feel anything at all for the main characters, I really don’t care if someone is stalking them or trying to kill them. Also, I have no idea what plays into their relationship because I don’t know them or their personalities. Look, y’all, personality types are important in suspense too, okay? A simple MBTI test can make your character 4-D and your story so much easier to write, trust me.
2. Everything was way over my head. Like I said, this is both a pro and a con. I mean, I can appreciate a knowledgeable, informative author—but sometimes I read for enjoyment or an escape and not to learn, so when 90% of the dialogue is focused on nerdy police stuff I don’t understand, I find my mind wandering tremendously. This is why I would love to read a suspense that’s about average Joes, people with regular jobs and lives who (1) have a legitimate reason to be chased by someone that has nothing to do with buried treasure, (2) don’t know any of this smarty-pants investigative stuff, and (3) I can connect with.
3. There was no emotion. Yes, straightforward prose can keep an even pace, which is necessary in a suspense novel. But, also yes, when your writing is devoid of emotion, the prose seems staid and stilted and the story uninteresting. Considering people are watching people die and are being chased and all, I’d like to see a little more emotion. Honestly, I guess that goes hand-in-hand with my second point. Detectives, agents, and officers are all trained not to have emotions—so to translate an emotional character into a story, you’ve got to have one that’s not a detective or FBI agent.
All in all, I’m glad I gave it a try, and I’ll continue to give romantic suspense a chance, because I know the genre has potential. However, Present Danger didn’t fully harness all of that potential, which is why I couldn’t make it through.
That being said, regulars of the romantic suspense genre who don’t have the same pet peeves I do will probably find this story interesting! It’s definitely very informative and different, and I know there are plenty of readers who have enjoyed it. In fact, my sister is giving it a go now, so I may be back with an update, depending on what she thinks of it!
Disclaimer: A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher, publicist, or author, including NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.