Industrial Deals HPC Design the future with O'Reilly Media Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 4, 2017
Overall, I appreciate Rushkoff's purpose behind the book, which to me was to open the eyes of the younger generations to how we've all allowed social media to negatively impact our lives on a global scale. I really appreciated this overarching theme, because he points out that we are all so focused and obsessed with enjoying the present that we miss out on what's actually happening right now, hence the title, "Present Shock." Additionally, Rushkoff gives solid examples to support his ideas, even starting the whole book off with a scenario of a girl at a party who is there, but not really "in the moment" there. Having said all of that, while I do appreciate what Rushkoff is trying to achieve in this book, it gets overly repetitive, and I believe what he had to say could have been made more succinct. He also writes a bit dryly, so while his topics are spot-on, I had a hard time pushing myself through to the end. I'd say this book is best suited for a high school psychology or research class, as Rushkoff's topics spark the need for change, and younger generations need to rise up and make a difference.
on October 4, 2017
Present Shock by Douglas Rushkoff takes aim at modern society’s obsession with instant gratification. He discusses the many negative impacts technology has on our society by using a myriad of helpful examples and references. Rushkoff’s explanations of his critics and insights into our society are thoroughly explained and make full use of credible outside references/studies leaving no stone unturned. Though at times he can be rather repetitive and redundant when hammering home a point that the reader may gave understood a page or so ago. The tone of the book also sounds as though he is mad at society for reacting the way it does to the immediacy of our participatory culture. The combination of the two things cause an otherwise thought-provoking book to feel more as a disjointed rant. Though perhaps not compulsory to add to an educational reading list for schools, the interested high school or college reader should have no problem with this book.
on October 3, 2017
Present Shock was a challenging read. This book focuses on the technology based and technological reliant aspect of the 20th century. He discussed the anxieties associated with a world that's operating in an ever-changing mode with a dependance upon technologies. Topics such as time, adaptation, age, complexity, etc. are extensively explored and debated by Rushkoff. This book met my expectations of a challenge and the opportunity to open my eyes to subjects I had not considered before. However, I had an extremely difficult time following this book. I feel as if concepts would be introduced, somewhat explained, and then additional concepts would be added without being able to fully reach an understanding on a topic. I recommend this book to the adult audience, for I think that it would be too complex for young readers.
on October 28, 2017
I vastly enjoyed this book. I was given a very useful education in some things, such as the difference between analog and digital. However, I felt resentful to find out that this is the guy who suggested that everybody should use their real name all across the Internet. That was a terrible suggestion and makes me not trust this author.
on December 1, 2014
This might be a spoiler, or it might just be lifting the "gist" of the argument into the light.

Rushkoff takes a long journey through time and our relationship with it. He contrasts Kurtzweil with zombies and apocalyptic sects. He explores fractals and GTD.

In short, it is a journey, a chance to reflect more than a story you can just grab onto.
on June 25, 2016
This book does a good job of making you think about how we view time and how that view is changing. Easy to read but still presents a lot of information.
on August 24, 2016
Easy to read, but takes time to truly digest. But in the end, it states what I already knew but was too busy to stop and formulate for myself. Well worth reading
on October 4, 2017
This was a book my daughter needed for school. It was in good condition and I think she has enjoyed reading it and learning from it.
on September 17, 2017
Present Shock is a discussion of modern technology and the impact it's had on us and the world we live in. In it, author Douglas Rushkoff attempts to explain the effects the modern world has on us, both positive and negative. Mainly, he does so by talking about a given topic and relating it to similar situations in the past, and then discussing the negative effects as well as potential positive outcomes and how we might reach them.

To his credit, Rushkoff clearly put a great deal of thought and effort into writing this book. Throughout the reading, most aspects of any given topic are brought to light and discussed, with both sides of the argument being brought up and explored.

Unfortunately, what Rushkoff has in breadth he lacks in substance; while he raises many topics he rarely delves into them, instead preferring to list numerous examples, discussing them only briefly and then linking one to the next based seemingly on nothing more than where his mind happened to wander to. Additionally, while he does explore both sides of his arguments, it's generally fairly clear which side he stands on- he tends to favor the "way it used to be" over the way it is now, and many segments read more like an out of touch baby-boomer complaining about millennials than anything else. He tries to play both sides, but ultimately does neither justice. Perhaps worst of all, Rushkoff does occasionally make very salient points which, given further discussion, could very easily be the basis for entire chapters themselves. Sadly, these points are rarely ever given more than a cursory mention before the author dashes off to his next example or long winded aside.

Ultimately, I can't recommend this book to many. Even at it's best, Present Shock is long and rambling, often taking paragraphs and pages to say what could be said better by others in far fewer words. The best potential audience I can see might be someone older who, while not entirely understanding about the internet, social media and the like, is interested in seeing what it means for the world. However, even in that case, there are better sources for that information. Overall, I firmly believe you should save your money and pass on this book.
on May 26, 2014
Normal life has become a confusing saturation of information which is dificult to understand and cope with.

Rushkoff makes a clear analysis of this new reality to guide us and help us to adapt without loosing our peace of mind.