Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Presumed Guilty
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 31, 2012
I ordered the hardcover edition of this book. The Amazon page did not indicate that this was originally published by another company 15 years before. I thought I was getting a new novel by Tess Gerritsen.

I was almost glad to read that it was so old as I could not believe that Tess Gerritsen had really written this drivel. Obviously she was at the start of her writing career when she wrote this. As someone else noted, this is a romance with a slight mystery thrown in. But, the main problem is that is very poorly written, has cardboard cut out characters and frankly, a stupid plot line.

The main character is accused of committing a crime. She did not do it, but is universally considered guilty. The woman was not even in the home when the murder took place. There could be no incriminating evidence specifically related to her (blood spatter, cloth used to clean blood from the knife, blood on her clothing, etc) yet she is charged with the crime. So honestly from the first few poorly written pages of the plot, there was not much hope of this turning out to be a sharp, interesting story.

A male character is trying to find the identity of a suspect. He has no legal or police authority, he is just a relative of the murdered man. He calls newspapers around the country to find out if a specific person was formerly employed there. All of newsrooms he calls tell him Yes or No without any further questioning of him or why he is asking. He then decides the suspect must have changed her name and calls her Grad School. He asks the Grad School office to search for people who graduated in a specific year with the first name "Jill". Yep, again they supposedly do this research for him with no questions asked. The whole plot was just too dumb and amateurish to be believable on any level.

The money spent for this book was truly wasted. I feel that with the popularity of Rizzoli and Isles novels, either Tess or her agent or publisher thought they could reissue this and earn some extra money as folks like me would buy it thinking it was a newly published work. Shame on me for not checking more carefully....
55 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2001
The thing is, I picked up this book after throughoutfully enjoying Gerritsen's medical thrillers (I figured they'd feature the same gripping story-telling) but what I found was a lukewarm novel, filled with two-dimensional characters and a terribly boring plot. The ending was nice, but it wasn't enough to save this book.
So... If you read Gerritsen's medical thrillers (Bloodstream, Harvest, etc...) don't expect the same kind of plot, characters or narration in here.
11 comment| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2012
I purchased the audio book, and I just noticed that the book was first released in 1993. No wonder it was so awful. I was very disappointed with the plot, the charters and the reader, Jennifer Van Dyck. I really need to read the description section more carefully on future books purchased here. It really was almost unbearable. I feel tricked by Amazon.
on July 15, 2006
This was not the best book by Tess Gerritsen I have ever read, but I must confess that I enjoyed it. It was certainly not as graphic or horrific as 'The Surgeeon' or 'The Apprentice', but it kept my interest. This was almost more of a romance novel and could have lost me at any time, but I stayed with it and found it to be a good story. (could be a Lifetime movie)
on March 16, 2012
My fault--I could have checked publishing info, but I still feel tricked. This is an old Harlequin romance/mystery that has been republished now that Gerritsen is famous. It isnt horrible for what it is, but not near the caliber of her present stuff -- which I love.
on March 7, 2016
I was disappointed in this book. I usually buy Rizzoli and Isles by Tess Gerritsen novels. I prefer more mystery along with a strong back and forth dialog between characters. First of all, this book was not a mystery book it is more a romance novel. Secondly, it fell short with the characters. They were no strong at all.
on November 12, 2015
The whole world is against her : a wealthy, haughty, utterly selfish family with no morality and no brains ; local population with a witch-hunting medieval mentality and dullard policemen who just can’t cope. There are exceptions : two kind neighbors… and a half-hearted exception : a sensible man who is torn between some evidence of guilt, a twitch of physical attraction for the accused, and the simple, logical conclusion that everything is not right. Inevitably, this will bloom into an attractive love story.
Red herrings swim happily in the murky waters of this human aquarium. To make it worse, the story takes place on a small island : a beautiful environment, but it makes you feel hemmed in and claustrophobic !
In short, this novel is a little gem.
on April 10, 2016
Previously published book. Thriller romance. Easy to follow, believable storyline. Miranda Wood is accused of murdering her married lover Richard Tremain. Her bail has been paid by an unknown person and now that she is out jail someone is trying to kill her. Small town mentality, including multiple suspects with various reasons to murder Richard.

I may re-read this story and always look forward to other works by this suthor.
on August 22, 2000
Before Tess Gerritsen started writing the long medical thrillers such as Harvest, she wrote for the Harlequin Intrigue line.....these books have the same style of writing, with superb character development and storylines, but a shorter story with a touch more of romance......(just up my alley!) Miranda Wood's ex-lover was found stabbed to death in her bed....all evidence pointing towards herself, she is imprisoned. The dead man's brother, Chase Tremain, anonymously posts bail without knowing if she was the murderer or not....hoping to keep an eye on her, he has doubts about her guilt when he witnesses some attempts on her life!...that is, unless she's a good actress!! I liked the emotional roller-coaster ride..........great climax!
on July 30, 2016
I like Gerritens' books. This one was okay. They are good for passing the time. I wish she'd so some more Rizzoli &Isles. Those are usually awesome. I haven't read any of her epidemic stuff because medical outbreaks scare me more than imaginary murders. LOL