Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Kids Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Pretender, The
Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 29, 2015
For most of the past 50 years Jackson Browne is, has been and likely will always be my favorite singer/songwriter. I won't demand that you, your friends or anyone agree with me, but I will demand that you allow me to appreciate Browne, believe that at his peak, he was the most eloquent, literate, insightful song-poet of his age. An age that included Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, Springsteen...do you understand? From the bounty of poets who created melodies that matched their exquisitely expressed thoughts, again and again, Jackson Browne hit the sweet spot for me.

"In the end there is one dance you'll do alone."

Put that on my tombstone.

"The Pretender" is the second album of the sequence I regard as Jackson Browne's Hall of Fame trilogy. Linking "Late For the Sky"'s horrifically frank honesty to "Running On Empty"'s rendition of "Stay," "The Pretender" is, for me, the most beautiful, poignant, expressive collection of songs I believe I will ever listen to.

And thanks to this CD, I will be able to hear "The Pretender" perfectly whenever I want.

Shipped promptly and packaged securely, I am, as always, 100% satisfied with Amazon.com's service.

"Through every dead and living thing, time runs like a fuse...
and the fuse is burning."--Jackson Browne "The Fuse"
on April 30, 2014
The concept of the singer/songwriter in its purist form emerged during the 1970's, influenced by the great writers
of the previous decade (Bob Dylan,Arlo Guthrie, Beatles, and many more).
But the idea had evolved into a new level of introspection and became more personal compared to some of the
protest songs and activist outlook of the1960's.
I think this album represents Browne at his best, it offers a lot of insight and touches on deeply felt emotions
on a lot of different levels. Probably the best produced/arranged of his records to date, and overall great sound.
One of the finest singer/songwriters to this day, love this album.
on January 18, 2011
With The Pretender, Jackson Browne is right in the middle of his best years. In my humble opinion, he had already dispatched three masterpieces and still had three to go. So we find ourselves at the halfway marker with this album and it continues to progress and expound on his previous works. I always think that this is sort of JB's coming around vocally. While his songwriting had always been superb and he greatly upped his instrumental input on Late For The Sky, this album is sort of the coming of ground for his voice. And boy does he ever show it, songs like The Fuse, Your Bright Baby Blues, Here Come Those Tears Again, and The Pretender, rock in a way that Browne had never attained before and his voice is more than up to the task. He also adds a lot more subleties into his more laid back songs as well, with varied instrumentation on Linda Paloma, The Only Child, Daddy's Tune, and Sleep's Daek and Silent Gate. To me this is probably JB's most complete social commentary and one of his greatest 'rock' albums, a must have.
2 helpful votes
on April 29, 2015
this man can sing, he can play and touch the hearts and souls of many. Jackson Browne is a favorite of mine, and probably always will be. His song 'the only child' touches me every time I hear the music and the vocals . . . always.
on November 8, 2017
On 8 songs and not the good ones.
on August 16, 2016
Great brooding Jackson with amazing John Hall guitar.
on March 8, 2014
Only 8 tracks on this one, not sure if his wife's suicide that year impacted the release. Some undertones of jazz on Your Bright Baby Blues and he does it well with his style. Linda Paloma is different than anything I remember him producing. Some of the songs seem to fit more with his first album on this one; introspective and melancholy. I think his masterpiece was the album before this one, "Late for the Sky" making anything next hard to follow but I like this one all the same.
on November 19, 2017
Awesome!
on May 5, 2016
A great album I first bought 40 years. Still absolute music to my ears. I went to his show in Auckland recently which was superb. This album is timeless and hopefully I will be still be playing it for many years to come.
on December 14, 2013
Jackson's best album is Running on Empty, but this may be the most representative of his career. Perhaps the representative album for SoCal mid 70's life. Quiet and meditative, for the most part, articulate and a tad earnest. Best songs are "Your Bright Baby Blues", "Here Come Those Tears Again" and "The Pretender"
2 helpful votes