Hill Climb Racing 2 Vehicles Review Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

Having been in a reading slump after weeks of books that just could not catch my interest or were so badly written, so depressing, so off-putting I was using them as kindling in the fireplace, I remembered Jen Lancaster had put out Pretty in Plaid. Normally I shy from "pre-quels" as they are never as good as the original stories you fell in love with - can we say Star Wars? I finished a book for the first time in 3 weeks and ENJOYED IT!!! Yea me - yea Jen! Wonder if this is what guys with the little blue pill feel like? Sorry.... I digress.

This book is a nice walk.... jog... no, it's a stumble through Jen's childhood into teen angst and many years of college (really Jen? how many years? Party much? LOL) as she finds her way to the book where we all made her acquaintence for the first time. If you are from the generation before Jen's or the one after ours, then you probably won't care for her story or her voice much. However, for those of us born in the early '70's (or so) Mrs. Lancaster's journey rings true on many levels, for many reasons. Not the least of which is the burning need to fit into a size 6 Jordache jeans with no panty lines and making our mothers understand that spending the same for a pair of said jeans as she spent on two week's worth of groceries was not unreasonable. Her European trip as a junior was a SCREAM! Oh and thank you for reminding me of the awful first car - the Toyota Tercel and it's evil GM twin, the Geo Prizm. I love that we now have a glimpse of the real reasons Jen is who she is.

Granted, parts of this book aren't quite as funny as her previous efforts and in fact there are sections that do feel rushed and stretched, but heck, no author is perfect and when you have multiple books out, there will always been one that isn't as good as the rest. Hopefully her next one will be focused again on the present which is where her current observations on life and people are their snarkiest and thus funniest.
on August 10, 2016
Okay let me just start by saying this woman is my soul mate ( not in a creepy stalker way). She makes me smile and have good hard belly laughs. Much like me, her filter is on the fritz. I appreciate her genuineness. I don't care what others say, Jen Lancaster you are my savior!!
This book will make you LOL throughout each chapter. I'm always sad when her books come to an end. It's nice to escape everyday life and get a sneak peak into someone else's dysfunction for a moment. Pretty in Plaid may be my absolute favorite and I've read all her work. Thank you for putting the F U in FUN!!!!!
on June 30, 2009
I hesitated in buying this book thinking that going back to Jen's childhood could not be nearly as Snarky and hillarious as doing such adult things as pretending you have a homeowner's association and that you are the president. I saw that other readers didn't love this one as much, so that made me hesitate too. Boy, was I wrong and I'm so glad I read it.

I found this book delightful and HILLARIOUS! Now, that could be because I think Jen and I are about the same age, with a very practical, middle class up-bringing, therefore have we have many of the same experiences and perspectives. If you are a child of the 70's & 80s and remember Kristy McNichol, Jordache Jeans, Polo shirts and Michael Jackson, you may relate too. She walks readers through her real first job and how she though she was RICH! Didn't we all? When you hit the 20k's in salary.. woo hoo!! until you have to pay rent and a car payment. Then the first time you heard people talking about "Their Lewie" - not know ing it wasn't a dog or an uncle, but a Louis (As in Louis Vuitton).

Jen feels like a Facebook friend I don't personally know very well, but because I read her posts and see her photos, I feel like we are BFFs. I think this book is worth the read. Just be prepared to remember who you were at that time. The entertainment lies not only in Jen's story, but who the reader was at that time in their own history.
on December 28, 2016
It wasn't a book I couldn't wait to get back to. I was disappointed with the ending too. There were a few interesting parts that I could relate with my childhood which did peak my interest.
on February 17, 2018
So talented ill ever reading her books, they make me laugh all the way through. She has inspired me to get back yo my blog!
on June 1, 2009
This book was nothing short of fabulous. I laughed out loud once again as I usually do with her books. If you're between the ages of 28-40, you will love the 70's and 80's references! I was seriously cracking up and did not want this book to end.
on August 31, 2016
I just love Jen Lancaster. I love her easy to read style and her honesty. I always look forward to reading one of her books during summer break.
on August 29, 2013
This is a fantastic book. I highly recommended it if you're looking for something light to read. I've read every one of her books and I've yet to be disappointed.
on February 11, 2013
Jen Lancaster Should be my best friend! She has me laugh so hard over everyone of her books - this is funny, but I do have to say my favorites are "Bitter is the New Black", "Such a Pretty Fat" She takes you thru a laughing look at her life riding high, then hitting low! BRAIN CANDY to escape with! Sit back and realx - let Jen take over and become your new best friend!
on September 18, 2009
I have read everyone of her books. From one smart ass to another, Jen Lancaster gets better every book she writes. I can just only hope she will keep us wondering what she will bluntly say next. But, I will bluntly say this, "if you can't appreciate her wittiness or her rudeness then you are probably one of the dumb ass people she has encountered in her life that she has wrote about!" If you want to laugh all the way through a book and want more when your done, then this is a book you need to read!