Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

10,407
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 7,906 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,407 reviews
I love Jane Austen novels and one of my favorites (as with many others) is Pride and Prejudice. As a young girl, I remember reading it late into the night with a flashlight under the covers. While I missed many of the nuances of the story at that time, the romance itself was enthralling enough for me to read it over and over again. Later in life, I used this novel for several papers in various English classes. So, I guess you can say I am a big fan of the story.

Sometimes that can and have made me very critical of takes on this novel. While I admit I am disappointed that there are not more designs which include Elizabeth and Darcy or other of the characters, I think the designs are quite lovely and will be lots of fun to color. Some of my favorite excerpts are included, including “It is universally acknowledged...” so the story is fun to read as I color. Just coloring my first choice of designs in the book made me reach for my Kindle to read the story in full once again.

The cover is in black print on white (with elements you can color) with gold foil highlights on the front. Both covers fold out and there are some elements on the flaps that can be colored but the inside of the covers are really just pretty patterns with nothing to color except background.

As I noted, there are lovely designs of gloves, flowers, and whatnot. The book is a little light on characters. The designs are intricate and detailed in spots but should not pose any particular issues in coloring apart from the fact the book is printed on both sides of the page.

This is what I found while coloring in this book and testing my coloring medium of the paper.

78 Storybook designs pages (including three pages of the language of flowers – lovely little addition to the book.)

Designs are printed on both sides of the page

Paper is heavyweight, white, slightly smooth, and non-perforated.

Sewn Binding which makes it easy to remove several pages at a time by snipping a few threads. This method makes sure you don't lose portions of the design if you want to remove pages.

Designs merge into the binding area.

Some designs spread across two pages with essential elements merging into the binding area.

My copy of the book lined up very well on the two page designs.

I could get the book to lay fairly flat by breaking (or creasing) the spine.

Alcohol-based markers bleed through slightly on this paper.

Water based markers (except for brush end Tombows) left the slightest indistinct shadow on the back of the page. Tombow did not leave a shadow.

Gel pens and India ink pens did not bleed through this paper.

Colored pencils did well with this paper. I was able to color with light or heavy pigment, layer and blend using both my various wax and oil based pencils. I use a pencil style stick blender for my tests. Hard lead pencils did well and did not dent/score through to the back of the page.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
66 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2015
This is a review of the Splinter Classic Lines edition. These beautiful watercolor illustrated editions are a must have for all JA fans who are collecting. The cover is in the style of a French fold with a smooth buttery paper texture. The inside paper is a light-medium weight in that slightly grainy texture and there are hints of tiny threads in it like the kind you'd find on paper dollars. All in all, It will be great on your shelf and for reading as well!
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 23, 2015
"She was stronger alone, and her own good sense so well supported her, that her firmness was as unshaken, her appearance of cheerfulness as invariable, as with regrets so poignant and so fresh, it was possible to be."

I have SUCH a girl crush on Elinor Dashwood. Good, kind, practical Elinor - empathetic, compassionate to a fault, and as capable of deep feeling as her demonstrative mother and sister Marianne. She was the ideal prism through which to experience this story of the love and devotion between sisters, through romantic trials and disappointments. I loved this book to pieces.

I never thought a novel by Jane Austen could leave me in so much suspense, put me through so much agony for the fate of its characters, and make me laugh out loud so often. I didn't know Austen could be so sharp, witty and sarcastic.

Her novel contains very little of what we would think of as action. Plot details are revealed through conversations between different characters. Oh, those conversations! Austen's insight into human nature and foibles was absolutely first rate. Her novel left me wondering what effusive Mrs. Jenningses, selfish Mr. Willoughbys and sly Lucy Steeles she must have known in real life.

I never could get through an Austen novel before trying this audiobook. The formal language in which she wrote left me befuddled, sure I was missing the meanings beneath the surface of her words. Juliet Stevenson's incredible narration freed me from that difficulty. Her performance was fresh, nuanced and lively, teasing out all the irony, humor and pathos of the words.

I finished the book with a little sigh of happiness for Elinor and Marianne and regret to have to leave their world so soon. I cannot wait to listen to more Jane Austen.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon May 9, 2016
This is a popular classic that I've read again and again ever since I first read it when I was in middle school. I was probably what you would call a bookworm and had my head in a book constantly, even forgoing sleep sometimes to finish a good read.

Pride and Prejudice was one of those books that I brought with me on a flight just because it was a book I didn't seem to get tired of. The writing style is classic Jane Austen-- with an exceptionally opinionated and witty heroine and a dark misunderstood hero who each has their fair share of prejudices and pride to overcome in their complicated relationship. In fact, the premise is so popular that it's been remade, rewritten, and parodied countless times throughout the years. I give full credit to its popularity due to Austen's exceptional writing ability and her talented skill in developing her characters.

This book needs no further accolades from me as I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother has probably already given it a go. It is no fluke that this is Austen's most popular work (Okay, it is, in fact, her most popular work) and Elizabeth is the most popular Austen heroine of all time. Girls of all ages and even some guys would probably enjoy this particular timeless story and its progressive heroine.
on November 2, 2016
A fun coloring book! I recommend the Lolliz 72 count colored pencils for coloring in this. (They don't smear and when sharpened can handle the thin areas well.) The pictures are lovely and well-designed for coloring.
on November 21, 2014
I revelled in the first two Austen Project books (Val McDermid's 'Northanger Abbey' and Joanna Troloppe's 'Sense and Sensibility') and was happy to award them five stars. I was glad that Alexander McCall Smith was writing 'Emma', as I couldn't think of anyone better to tackle my favourite Austen. I was therefore disappointed that I couldn't revel in it as I had in the others. He has the tone just right and some of his modern modifications are hilarious, but perhaps because 'Emma' is my favourite Austen, I had quibbles with it throughout. Firstly I was annoyed by his changing the characters' ages. Then by the fact that he not only modernized the characters, but also changed their personalities completely (eg Isabella, instead of being a female version of her father, became a brave, modern young chick not afraid to ride on the back of a motor bike.) Much of the story was cut short, and he seemed to rush to the conclusion. This is not to say that it's not fun to read - it is. Only not as much as the other two.
on March 15, 2017
I love this coloring book. The faces and features are beautifully rendered, the costumes are perfectly faithful to the period the book is set in, There's a great variety of different subjects and items to color including flowers, articles of dress, jewels, household objects--even a page of fishes and a page with a horse! And all through it are the flowers. The last couple of pages give you flower illustrations with the "language of flowers," and the flower language is used throughout the book. It's very charming.

The paper is of good quality, though unfortunately the prints are on both sides of each page. That might be a problem for marker users. I'm not having any trouble with my pencils. And you'll find plenty of little design touches for trying out various techniques--perhaps fantasy fish, metallic gel pens for the various gold and silver trims, maybe chalk pastels for backgrounds. There's plenty of scope for trying things out.
on April 21, 2015
Let's start with the good. Alexander McCall Smith is a clever writer with a dry, but gentle style that lends itself well to the retelling of Emma. His wry observations about society and cultural differences are probably pretty close to what a modern-day Jane Austen would be like. I really loved the depth and humor he added to the characters of Mr. Woodhouse and Ms. Taylor, who were not much more than caricatures or props in the original novel. It took him a third of the book to set up and describe them and their relationship/family dynamic, whereas I think Austen disposed of the same story line in the first three paragraphs! I also thought McCall Smith did a good job translating the 18th century plots and character details to the 21st, preserving where appropriate and deftly changing things that needed to be changed without overdoing it. In that sense he really met the challenge of updating a beloved piece of literature from the past.
Where he went wrong, I think, was primarily in characterization and particularly with the character of Emma herself. Austen's Emma was a bit spoiled, extremely sure of herself/her place in society, and convinced she knew what was best for everyone around her. But she balanced those flaws with a good heart. She was kind with a few glaring exceptions that (as other reviewers have pointed out) were made more surprising for their rarity. McCall-Smith's Emma started out this way - and I found myself thinking he was being really fearless in portraying Emma as she was and not as a literary sacred cow. But then he veered into making Emma plain nasty and mean and extremely selfish.
A few things that particularly stood out [SPOILERS AHEAD] were the way that Emma acted toward her household help (and how they viewed her), the incident where she gave Phillip Elton the alcohol at the party and most disturbing to me, the way she basically bullied Harriet into posing nude for her sketch. I found the whole interior monologue around that scene not only distasteful, but downright creepy. It was basically someone using their influence over another to get them to do something with sexual overtones that they didn't feel comfortable doing. It had an element of conscious sexual coercion on Emma's part that I found really disturbing.
Emma did have a change of heart (somewhat) and made some strides toward not being such a jerk, but it was hard to root for her and to want her to end up with her happy ending. I found myself wishing Mr. Knightly would turn her down so that she could learn what it was like to not have everything she wanted. The pacing around this part of the novel contributed to this because it was very rushed. All of this action happened during the last 15-20 pages of the book. You could tell McCall Smith found this part of the story less interesting (especially compared with the detailed treatment of Mr. Woodhouse and Ms. Taylor in the beginning).
Finally, the tics that started to wear on me in later installments of McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency books such as repetition of non-witticisms (the railway station, BMW something something) also wore on me here. I really wish his editor would give him a gentle nudge...
Anyway, a solid 3 stars and in many ways a surprise because I didn't think I could ever like a Jane Austen reboot!
on May 10, 2017
I think this book was worth rating 5 stars.

Although I wasn't exactly enamored during my reads, I feel that was due to my lukewarm interest in the romance genre in general. Honestly, I can see why this novel's status as a timeless classic is well deserved.

Pride and Prejudice has a lot going for it. Lively and witty language; a diverse cast of characters that range from sassy and smart to lovable but dimwitted to annoying yet crafty with plenty in between; a fiery romance rife with tension and constant ups and downs; not to mention a few twists and turns on occasion, though I saw all the "big ones" coming a mile away; and to top it all off, countless side-stories that were interesting enough all on their own yet complemented the main story at the same time. One thing is for sure, I'm impressed by Austen's plot weaving skills and will never doubt the legitimacy of her legacy. She's an amazing writer.

So, in short, I'm happy to report I've finally found a romance book I actually liked. Hell, I might even be tempted to try another.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 18, 2017
Amazon's review system is rather strange for classics, as it lumps all the various editions together under one title. This review is for the DK Illustrated Classics edition of Pride & Prejudice. This is not a review of the novel itself, only the DK edition.

I had to give the DK edition five stars, or else I would be downgrading Pride & Prejudice itself! I do wish there was a separate rating system.

Unless you have a specific purpose for buying the DK edition, such as classroom or ESL use, I would avoid this version. DK has added lots of extra features to this book, but if you are simply reading for enjoyment, these features are distracting and annoying.

First of all, this book is printed on shiny, glossy paper. The pages have a harsh glare, and feel unpleasant to touch.

DK has taken the liberty of highlighting certain words in a bold font. These words are defined at the bottom of the page. Not every page has them, but many do, and one page has eight highlighted words!

Examples of these highlighted words include: Design, Nervous, Opinion, Library, Town, Disgust, and Amiable. Coming across the bold words as you read is extremely distracting and completely unnecessary. A glossary at the end of the book contains all of the highlighted words, so there is no need to repeat the definitions page by page.

DK has also added several sections of contemporary topics, such as Music & Dancing, Town & Country, Women's Education, Courtship & Marriage, and The Army. There is nothing wrong with these extras, but they pop up randomly throughout the book. Again, very distracting. It would have been much better to put the extra sections in an appendix at the back of the book.

The illustrations in the book are very nice, and each volume of the novel has it's own colorful border design along the edges of each page. There's also an illustrated, color glossary, and discussion questions at the end of the book.

Overall, the DK edition is attractive, but the extra features make the novel less enjoyable to read. There are so many wonderful editions of Pride & Prejudice available, so I would avoid this one!
review image review image review image