Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 170 reviews
on August 21, 2016
When I first saw the movie I thought Elizabeth played by Lily James was brilliant. So I headed to the bookstore and bought a copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, determined to savor it page by page. It was really witty and had much more detail than the movie, which is what I was going for.

When I read the line Elizabeth coldly said to her cousin Collins, not far into the book, I had to put the book down. I decided I had to read the prequel to understand who Elizabeth was at that moment and what had brought her to such cold sentiment.

So I bought the Kindle version of Dawn of the Dreadfuls I was wondering if it was going to be as entertaining. It wasn't just that, it was awe inspiring. I understand now why the Bennets are considered the saviors of Hertfordshire and how they came to be that way. I understand her coldness came with her "coming out" ball, and the lessons she learned when her innocence died that night. Perhaps that's why, in the movie, her sisters had to persuade her to smile more. After what she's been through I'm amazed her character can pull it off when she meets Mr. Bingley.

By the time we see her in Zombies, she is a full fledged warrior, as are her sisters. Before reading this prequel, I often felt I was missing so much of the picture.

The appreciation for this book is that it fills in much of the missing universe in the Movie. Even before you read Zombies for the first time, I feel like everyone should read Dawn of the Dreadfuls. It makes Lizzy and Jane's marrying Darcy and Bingley all the more fulfilling.

The book stops abruptly and really it should have ended with their father sending them off to China to train for real, but it ended on a good note.

What I found appalling in both this and Zombies was the cultural disparaging. While it's feasible Mr. Bennett may have at one point trained in Japan, since he was richer before he was married, but his master was Chinese, a Master Liu, which means he must have trained in China. But he uses a katana, which is a distinctly Japanese weapon, honed by honored families sanctioned by Imperials to make blades. No self-respecting kung fu master or Shaolin temple priest would wield a katana because the Chinese looked down upon the Japanese for most of the existence of the Middle Kingdom. Shaolin kung fu precedes even samurai, hence the superiority complex. Also, no self respecting blade master of Japan would sell one to anyone who was not samurai. Anyone who has studied Asian history would know that the katana and the Chinese jian are NOT interchangeable. I'm not talking about historical accuracy but CULTURAL accuracy. Asians are not interchangeable nor are they all the same, so to interchange the cultures is really kind of insulting in this day and age. There is a thing called Google, you know; it's in the thing called the Internet.

Cultural stupidity aside, I did like this book because it explained everything behind that one sentence uttered by Elizabeth in Chapter 15 of Zombies.
on December 31, 2015
3.5 stars

As one review stated you have to read this as a tongue in cheek farcical take-off of Pride and Prejudice. I was smiling at the nonsensical action all the way through. This is not my usual fare in reading although I have read hundreds of Jane Austen Fan Fiction books and P&P is my favorite variation. But it is almost unthought-of for me to read of fantasy creatures in connection with these romances. Books about Vampires, Werewolves, Sea Creatures, and Zombies belong on other book shelves in my opinion.

However when I learned that a movie is being released in February of 2016 titled Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (from the sequel to this book) the thought of reading the novel began to rattle around in my brain. I then learned from a friend, Claudine, that there was both a prequel and a sequel. So I finally decided to dive in.

I don’t want to relate too much of the story although I can’t really say that there was much mystery involved. Language from canon is used on various pages but rarely as in canon. The characters are few of those with which we are familiar: Mr. and Mrs. Bennet and 5 daughters, Charlotte, Mrs. Long and Mrs. Hill and the setting is Hertfordshire with Meryton, Longbourn and Netherfield. We have 3 men posturing for 2 of the sisters. But nowhere to be found in this book are the Bingleys or the Darcys or even Colonel Fitzwilliam. There is, however, a mention of Lady Catherine and her role is a surprise.

The undead/THE DREADFULS enter upon this tale immediately as we read of a funeral service during the which the corpse stirs from his casket. His wife is all happiness as she believes he was NOT dead and that a mistake has been made and she wants to embrace him. We learn here that a plague of the Dreadfuls occurred a number of years back and that Mr. Bennet was one of the successful warriors against that incursion, BUT he has failed in his oath…he has not reared his daughters to be warriors! Enter one Master Hawksworth, trained in the oriental martial arts, he wastes no time taking over a garden shed to use as a training center, a dojo, and ALL the Bennet girls are soon under his command. As this action evolves we read of a ripple in the connection between a Master and one of his students. But as we read of how he holds her in esteem we also learn of a secret he holds concerning his own abilities.

Close behind the Master enters into Hertfordshire a Dr. Keckilpenny who seeks to use science to turn these savage undead creatures back into the English gentlemen and ladies on which the British Empire is founded. He too sees Miss Elizabeth Bennet as an asset to help him seek his goal. Meanwhile in Netherfield lurks a different type of monster. One who is not a fantasy creature, but nevertheless one who preys on the innocents and then makes sure they don’t get in his way. Lord Lumpley is no Charles Bingley but he does admire the beautiful and demure Jane Bingley.

So can I recommend this book? I would say that if you plan to see the movie that you might want to read the books which are the source of that. But if you are looking for the romance for which P&P is so well loved, you may be disappointed. However I say that having only read this prequel and the first several chapters of the main book. Those chapters seem to follow canon very closely…except for a disruption at the Meryton Assembly. Poor Mrs. Long: she will never be able to gossip about how Mr. Darcy sat next to her for all of a half of an hour without speaking one word to her!
on March 29, 2016
This is a dreadful book (pun intended). Seriously. It's like the author never read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The discrepancies are too numerous to mention. Huge plot holes, the ridiculous attempt at a romantic triangle, complete disregarded for the original work and Austen’s style of writing. It’s a travesty. Not worth reading at all, as it’s certainly cannot be cannon. Worthless book.
on July 7, 2016
Good series for adults and youngsters alike. My 9, 12 and 13 year old daughters wanted to read these books after they saw the movie and just devoured them. They loved them! I did too, although there are a few dry spots in the middle that I almost spaced out on. Good books to add to a collection. There is some mild violence (its a book about killing zombies, duh) but he tastefully describes it so that its not horribly gory.
on July 23, 2017
It isn't a delightful prequel and really sets the tone for the rest of the series . While it is not exactly like a Jane Austen novel it is still amazing . The supporting Bennet sisters are more fleshed out in this book which I really enjoyed . In both versions of P and P they are just boring background characters vs in tis book they have a bigger part to play .
on October 24, 2012
I really liked Hockensmith's prequel to Grahame-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

I loved Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. The interplay between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy was perfect. I didn't care too much for Seth Grahame-Smith's slow-moving and wearisome Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The addition of the undead to the mix wasn't an improvement; although the confrontation scene--where Mr. Darcy first proposes marriage--was a hoot. In the original, Elizabeth rejects that first offer with an ice-cold and humiliating rebuff. In the Zombies version, she Kung-Fu kicks him into the fireplace, and they then engage in a martial arts battle. That scene did add a bit of spice to Austin's version.

This prequel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, was not written by Seth Grahame-Smith but by one of my favorite authors, Steve Hockensmith, and is much better than the work it follows. It's funny, engaging, has lots of heart, and moves quickly. Hockensmith has not captured Jane Austin's style in the same way that Grahame-Smith did, but has produced in its stead a story that's far more enjoyable to read. Hockensmith has since written a sequel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After, and is the author as well of the hilarious Holmes on the Range series.
on September 21, 2014
Was not a Jane Austen fan until i read all three books in this tongue-in-cheek series.

I would rank the three titles in my order of preference as (1) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After; (2) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls; and (3) Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance.

Gives a modern take to a classic work whilst retaining the wonderful language of the original.

The books aside, my disappointment lies with the products received as these were not in mint condition. They did not look brand new and were not shrink-wrapped. Back when only books were sold, of the titles i have purchased, there was never any cause for unhappiness or dissatisfaction with the condition of the books. The same cannot be said any more. I don't think i will be ordering any more books for some time.
on June 10, 2010
I read this novel almost immediately after finishing the original novel re-constituted by Seth Grahame-Smith, so I am able to make a pretty fair comparision. I believe that Grahame-Smith had the strong framework of Jane Austen's classic to build on, so it appealed to me more then this particular novel. I give Hockensmith credit, he was able to use the same style and language to write an enjoyable novel that is original.

What lacked in this novel for me compared to the original was the light flirting and scandalous relationships in the Jane Austen/Seth Grahame-Smith novel which come across as tongue in cheek reading in the modern age. Hockensmith instead added more gore, and plenty more zombies in this compared to the original.

My favorite character was the armless/legless leader of the small regiment sent to help defend the community. The fact there was a inproper courtship that stemmed from a previous encounter on his behalf, all while having two inert soldiers present acting as his "legs" made me chuckle. I kept picturing this physically challenged hero fighting off zombies with a sword tucked under his chin, shouting "You may take my arms, you may take my legs, but damned if you'll take my life!!!!"

I would have given four stars for this novel but for one thing. I felt a star removed was appropriate since this prequel to the original had elements that didn't agree. I'd suggest not reading them in order, otherwise you'll be confused. One element that is not consistent is the training of Elizabeth and her sisters. In the original, it's implied that they traveled to the Far East for their training. In this novel, they are trained by a mysterious fellow in thier backyard dojo, and it seems it's thier father who was trained in the Far East.
on January 15, 2011
Dawn of the Dreadfuls takes us to how the Bennett girls became warriors protecting themselves and others against the onslaught of the "unmentionables".

When zombies start arriving in their village Mr. Bennett immediately cleans out his old dojo that Mrs. Bennett has been using for a greenhouse. Soon after the new "Master" of the dojo arrives to teach the girls how to combat the unmentionables. The girls soon become social outcasts for their unseemly ways, but Mr. Bennett insists that they continue learning the art of combating the undead.

Mrs. Bennett is devastated when the girls are uninvited to the ball that was to be Lizzie's "coming out". But there are more pressing matters to worry about with more and more dreadfuls arriving.

When the ultimate battle of humans and dreadfuls arrives who will be the last ones standing? Is there any hope for Lizzie and the rest of the Bennett family?

I loved Pride and Prejudice and Zombies so was very much looking forward to reading P&P&Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls. It did not disappoint me. I enjoyed it very much. While I didn't think it was as humorous as P&P& Zombies, it still had its humorous moments and it was very entertaining. There is a third installment to this series coming out soon entitled: Pride & Prejudice & Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After that I am looking forward to reading.
on June 26, 2010
After reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and falling in love with it I grew very excited to learn another book would be coming out shortly. To be honest I was disappointed with this read, I like P&P&Zombies, because of the romance, the humor, and Zombie attacks, but all I found in this latest book was fighting and more fighting. It grew boring at places. And the characters did not seem like themselves. I don't really know if this new author, fully grasped the characterization of all the Bennets, making this book dull and upsetting. I grew tired of Jane, yes shes soft and sensative, but she seemed dull and emotionless, which all you P&P fans know, is not true. I don't know if it was just me, but I did not enjoy reading about endless training and zombies attacking...after reading it, I asked myself this...What was the point of writing that book? Being a romantic myself, I guess I fell in love with the original P&P and P&P&Zombies, because of the wit, knowledge the characters pocessed, and of course the love(which I am sure everyone enjoys!!! ) This book is ok, but I suggest reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies or Sense and Sensebility and Sea Monsters instead.