Customer Reviews: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Halloween Candy Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 19, 2016
I loved the book, the movie was abysmal *sigh* The graphic novel follows the book to a T. Although the art is good, it is uncolored and looks unfinished. Also, some characters look exactly alike (I'm guessing there would have been different hair colors and such but time rushed this one to the printer.) which makes some areas harder to read. But I love it anyway. I'd give it 5 stars if the art was "finished", I plan on coloring this in myself and turning it into my own adult coloring book! So I'll be getting a 2 in one deal. Maybe I should give it 5 stars after all?
Everybodu knows about "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" -- Jane Austen's classic comedy of manners, zombies and ninjas, blah blah blah. Unfortunately, the book doesn't really translate well into a graphic novel -- it falls completely flat because of the patchy editing and some of the laziest artwork I've ever seen, which ends up confusing an otherwise enjoyable spoof.

You know the drill: the Bennett family is in an uproar when wealthy Mr. Bingley moves into the neighborhood, and Mrs. Bennett is especially happy when he takes a liking to the eldest Bennett daughter Jane. At the same time, Elizabeth matches wits with the haughty Mr. Darcy, rebuffs her toadyish cousin Mr. Collins, and befriends the hunky flirty Mr. Wickham (who claims to have been wronged by Wickham). Scandals, weddings and nasty old bats ensue.

However, this isn't exactly the Jane Austen story one would expect. England is overrun by a plague that turns people into shambling zombies. The Sisters Bennet are deadly Shaolin-trained warriors (Lizzle "has something more of the killer instinct than her sisters"), Lady Catherine is a feared zombie-slayer with an army of ninjas, balls are crashed by the undead, and Charlotte Lucas accepts Mr. Collins' proposal after she's infected by the zombie plague. I guess marriage to the professional toady isn't quite as bad as becoming a zombie.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" was the start of the current ongoing fad for adding zombies, sea monsters, werewolves, vampires and other horror tropes to classic literature. It actually seems like a really cool idea for a graphic novel, but unfortunately the result is a hastily slapped-together cash-in -- and the biggest problem is the artwork.

The concept is still pretty cool, and of course the dialogue is pretty hilarious ("I prefer a great many things to cards, Mr. Hurst. Not the least of which is the sensation of a newly sharpened blade as a punctures the round belly of a man"). But the editing is rather patchy, jumping quickly from scene to scene.

And the artwork is just TERRIBLE. The character designs look realistic and well-proportioned, and there are some very gross action scenes included. BUUUUUUUTTTT.... the artwork is abysmally lazy and halfhearted -- it literally looks like somebody started sketching out the artwork in pencil, decided, "Eh, this is good enough. I'll just release these rough sketches," and slapped together the graphic novel on the spot. It literally looks unfinished! Would it have killed the publishers to include some ink?

Additionally, both men and women look way too similar -- Lizzie, Lydia and Mrs. Bennett (yes, Mrs Bennett!) are almost identical, and I have trouble telling Darcy from Bingley or Wickham. I can only tell Jane apart from the other girls because she has dark hair, and Charlotte because she... well, never mind.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel" is as disappointing as Sir William's zombie-slaying abilities -- while the story is diverting, the haphazard artwork is absolutely disastrous. Avoid this as you would the unmentionables.
on July 13, 2013
I assumed since it is a Graphic Novel it was all in color. But only the cover is, but the inside is black and white. It follows the original Austen story with zombies thrown in to differ from the original. Illustrations are great.
on March 31, 2014
I absolutely loved this graphic novel! It was fun comparing the original novel to how they incorporated the zombie aspect, and it was laughter-filled throughout. I am very happy with my purchase and have already had many family and friends read it as well!
on February 7, 2016
This was on the library's displace shelf for books that are being adapted into movies, so I obviously had to read this one. Especially because Matt Smith is going to be in the movie and I have a thing that requires me to read the book before watching the movie. This absolutely counts.

​It's a fun story and idea, but I think it fell short in this version. Although I did enjoy much of the artwork, the scenes didn't seem to mesh properly and it was hard to keep up with. I'm pretty sure they just took some scenes from the book and said, "Okay, draw these." with no regard over whether or not they flowed.

Overall, the point of this was for amusement... and I was definitely amused.
on May 18, 2012
The book is a good introduction to Jane Austen's works, especially if you prefer looking at pictures. Some Austen fans even consider it a funny parody. However, it is very jarring to see characters act proper one page and savagely killing zombies next.

It also suffers artwork-wise because
-the Bennet sisters suffer from sameface
-the characters only have 3 expressions
-the illustrations have little role other than showing who is talking

Story-wise, it suffers from
-too much verbal exposition
-certain characters being softened (notably Wickham and Darcy)
-being historically inaccurate

If you read Austen books and look for another parody, then read this book. However, I do not recommend it.
on May 3, 2014
I want to start this review off by saying that I have never read the original Pride and Prejudice, nor have I read the text version of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. All I have to go on for the basics of the original story really are <a href="">The Lizzie Bennet Diaries</a> web series and a full-length movie adaptation that I vaguely remember watching a very long time ago.

So, with that on the table, let's talk about the graphic novel. The art in this book was very detailed, but there were some panels that looked almost like sketched drafts. I'm not sure if this is typical because I have just started to read graphic novels, but this bugged me a little bit. "Drafts" aside, the art illustrating the zombie fights is particularly impressive. The artist is able to illustrate the danger, urgency, and confusion of the moment very well and the gore is very realistic.

As for the story, I really enjoyed the integration of so many fun, unexpected elements into the original story, the ninjas being my personal favorite. I did however feel a bit lost at times due to the fact that I am not as familiar with the original story as I'd like to be. People are briefly introduced and plot twists are oftentimes glossed over very quickly, leaving the reader disconnected from the story and attempting to piece together what is going on based on context. There was also a bit of a lull in plot movement about 75% of the way through the story, but things pick back up relatively quickly.

Overall, this is a decent graphic novel which will be best enjoyed by fans of the original Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book or the traditional, zombie-free version of the story. This is simply due to the fact that the graphic novel assumes some level of prior knowledge about the story in order to really understand what is going on. However, if you really love zombies and are willing to accept some level of confusion in your reading experience, the zombie art in this book is really fantastic and you should give it a shot anyway.
on July 15, 2010
I'm a Pride and Prejudice fanatic and I had to have this for my collection. It follows the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies novel quite well and it was fun to see it in graphic novel form.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon May 22, 2011
I hadn't read the book from which this is adapted - just picked up the graphic novel out of curiosity and because I've enjoyed Austen's works in the past.

The artwork was ok - there's a clear homage to 1960s Modesty Blaise black and white comics in there. Scenes are very busily drawn, the women are almost too beautiful in that 60s/70s photojournalistic way: large breasted, big full lips, serious mien, and a lot of hair. In fact, if you want to know how the art is in this graphic novel, do a search on the net for Modesty Blaise and you'll get the idea.

There might be perhaps too much of an attempt to adapt the book: scenes are choppy and the book does lack flow. Emotion is completely lost and people act almost irrationally: typical for an abridged version of any large book. But I did get the idea of the book from which it was written (and from THAT book's original Austen work).

I have to wonder if this would have been more interesting in a glossy color sort of way rather than the vintage 1960s Dick Tracy/Modesty Blaise treatment. The down-to-earth realism of the drawings are kind of at odds with the fairy tale nature of the story. A tongue in cheek quirky book is given a dead serious and even boring rendition seems kind of a shame.
on October 27, 2012
It wasn't bad, but it only really picks up during the zombie parts otherwise it is all talk and often times differs too little from the original text and other times too much! And I really didn't like the art.