Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Format: DVD|Change
Price:$4.01+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 3,744 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,756 reviews
on October 21, 2011
This is a terrific movie that has so many different editions of the DVD and now Blu-Ray discs that it gets very confusing as to what is in each version.

A search of the internet shows several reviews that describe the differences between the DVD versions. Basically the "Dread Pirate Roberts" edition and the "20th Anniversery" edition have different special features not in the other edition.

As of this writing, there are three versions of the Blu-ray - the Blu-ray only edition, and the Blu-ray + DVD edition in either a Blu-Ray or the old style DVD case.

What makes it confusing is that Amazon and other sellers of this Blu-Ray only edition list this movie as a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, implying that it might be a different movie cut, while the other two Blu-ray editions are listed as 1.85:1 aspect ratio. No doubt this, together with the fact that the Blu-Ray + DVD edition has almost the same price, has hampered sales of this Blu-Ray only edition.

Well, I went ahead and got the Blu-Ray only edition, mainly because I thought that there might be a chance that the 1.33:1 ratio was because some older movies were filmed on 35mm film which has a natural 1.33:1 aspect ratio, and then were cropped top and bottom to a 1.85:1 ratio to give them a widescreen look. On the other hand, the very first DVD edition released for Princess Bride notoriously had a horrible pan-and-scan cropped to fullscreen 1.33:1 aspect ratio that showed less of the movie than the widescreen version, which is not what you want to see in a Blu-ray. I was hoping for the other possibility that the listed 1.33:1 for this Blu-ray edition meant that cropping had been removed from the widescreen version to show MORE of the movie as it was originally filmed.

However, on playing this Blu-ray, it was immediately obvious that this Blu-Ray only edition is the same 1.85:1 aspect ratio as the other Blu-Ray editions. So all those listed descriptions of this Blu-Ray as a 1.33:1 aspect ratio are just flat out wrong.

What are the other goodies on this Blu-Ray? The Special Features include:

Love is Like a Storybook
Miraculous Makeup
Original Theatrical Trailer
Princess Bride: The Untold Tales

So, this Blu-Ray contains essentially all the special features of the "Dread Pirate Roberts" edition and the "20th Anniversary Edition" except for the DVD games and the booklet. The special features are in their original DVD or lower quality video resolution, although it seems that some of the excerpts from the movie itself have been re-edited to use the higher Blu-Ray resolution.

The Blu-Ray quality is excellent, except for being a bit grainy in some parts - tweaking the sharpness or edge enhancement helps, if you have this feature on your Blu-Ray player.

Finally, a few words about the movie - it is an absolutely wonderful classic - a warm, romantic, and humorous mythology, one of those perfect family movies that could be shown every year just like "A Christmas Story". It was known to be the late Andre the Giant's happiest experience in life, playing the role of Fezzik; he regularly watched the movie afterwards.

It belongs on the list of my favorite films of all time.
2222 comments| 534 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2015
WARNING: This is a review of the movie -- not the Blu-Ray -- and this review contains spoilers.

Rob Reiner made a name for himself in Hollywood as the director of "Stand By Me" (an adaptation of a novella by Stephen King) and the cult-classic rockumentary-mockumentary "This is Spinal Tap." "The Princess Bride" is another jewel in his crown. It's a wonderfully wholesome fantasy/romantic comedy that has something for everyone. What sets this movie apart is what it DOESN'T have -- no sophomoric/toilet humor, no profanity, no nudity (nope, not even scantily-dressed individuals), and no graphic violence/gore. What does it have, you ask? Keep reading...

The movie starts with "The Boy" (a young Fred Savage) who is stuck in bed with a cold. His grandfather (Peter Falk) comes over for a visit; for which "The Boy" is less than thrilled. Turns out "Grandpa" has brought a beloved book his father used to read to him when he was sick. "The Boy" asks 'Is there any sports in it?' to which "Grandpa" replies 'Are you kidding? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, monsters, giants, kidnapping, captures, escapes, true love, miracles...' "The Boy" decides it sounds OK and he'll try to stay awake, so "Grandpa" starts reading...

The story itself is about a young woman named Buttercup (Robin Wright) and Wesley (Cary Elwes), her "farm boy." It starts off with Buttercup constantly pestering Wesley, but she quickly learns that Wesley is in love with her -- and also discovers she is in love with him. As we're about to watch them share their first kiss, the voice of "The Boy" interrupts, saying 'Hold it, hold it...: The scene cuts and we're back in the bedroom with "The Boy" and "Grandpa." "The Boy" says 'What is this? Are you trying to trick me? Where's the sports? Is this a kissing book' "Grandpa" is able to convince "The Boy" to let him keep reading. So the story continues...Wesley leaves Buttercup to find his fortune, but (supposedly) dies when his ship is attacked by the Dread Pirate Roberts. Fast forward 5 years later, where Buttercup is now betrothed to Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon), the heir to the throne of the kingdom of Florin. This is where the story really begins, as Buttercup is kidnapped by a band of mercenaries including ringleader Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), swordsman extraordinaire Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) and strong-man Fezzig (Andre the Giant) who have been hired to start a war between Florin and their sworn enemy, the country of Guilder. From there, the adventure progresses with the mercenaries and Princess Buttercup being chased by the mysterious Man in Black (who we later find out is Wesley), the cunning and clever ways the Man in Black/Wesley defeats the mercenaries and gets Buttercup, the eventual capture of Wesley and his subsequent torture, the plot twist where we learn who's REALLY behind trying to start the war between Florin and Guilder -- and how Buttercup fits into those plans, and Buttercup's eventual rescue.

The story delivers on the promise of "Grandpa." It does have fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, etc., so it's a rollicking good tale of adventure. The movie moves along at a good pace (not too fast, not too slow) and all the actors delivered excellent, very believable performances. The romance is delivered purely, with nothing more than kisses and embraces. The true strength of this movie, however, is the humor. It is genuinely laugh-out-loud funny, with the actors delivering a plethora of sarcastic, witty lines with completely straight faces. We even get to see some cameo performances from the likes of Christopher Guest as Count Rugen the six-fingered man and Billy Crystal, who nearly steals the show as Miracle Max.

Overall, the movie is a very enjoyable experience that occasionally flips back and forth from the story itself to "The Boy" and "Grandpa" talking about what happens in the story. The cinematography is first-rate, showing the landscapes, villages, and castles with perfect authenticity, and the music of Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) rounds out the experience beautifully. It's a great movie for children, but it's equally appealing to adults. If you're looking for a light-hearted flight of fancy that will make you laugh (and might even make you cry) this movie is for you.
on August 27, 2015
Amazon: All right. Where is the rental review? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you write it and I get all the free publicity.
Reviewer: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of company who would put allow a movie rental to be viewed in any way they want? Now, a clever company would allow such behavior, because the company would know that only a great fool would rent what they were offered. The reviewer is not a great fool, so he can clearly not review the movie asked of the company. But the company must have known the reviewer was not a great fool, the company would have counted on it, so the reviewer can clearly not review the rental the company requested.
Amazon: You've made your review then?
Reviewer: Not remotely. Because Amazon does business in Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not review the movie you requested.
Amazon: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Reviewer: Wait till I get going! Now, where was I?
Amazon: Australia.
Reviewer: Yes, Australia. And Amazon must have suspected I would have known the company’s business practices, so I can clearly not review the movie requested.
Amazon: You're just stalling now.
Reviewer: You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've taken my money, which means you have money, so you could’ve reviewed the movie by remunerated adverts, trusting on your money to save you, so I can clearly not review the money requested. But, you've also emailed my account, which means you must have data mined, and in data mining you must have learned that man hates commercial email, so you shouldn’t have requested a review of the rental, so I can clearly not review the movie requested.
Amazon: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Reviewer: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THIS REQUEST IS GOING!
Amazon: Then make your review.
Reviewer: I will, and I choose - What in the world can that be?
Amazon: [Reviewer gestures up and away from the request. Amazon looks. Reviewer sneaks in this review]
Amazon: What? Where? I don't see any review..
Reviewer: Well, I- I could have sworn I made a good argument. No matter. First, let me review.
Amazon, Reviewer: [Reviewer and the Amazon trade insults reference small animals]
Amazon: You reviewed wrong.
Reviewer: You only think I reviewed wrong! That's what's so funny! I reviewed when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a reviewer when money is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...
Reviewer: [Reviewer stops suddenly, his smile frozen on his face and falls headfirst into his review]
Buttercup: And to think, all that time it was a simple review you wanted.
Amazon: Everyone reviews. I spent the last few years building up a database of reliable reviewers.
on February 14, 2015
I'll forgo my usual stupidly long review because everything I can possibly say about this gem of a movie has already been said by others. Instead, I'll relate a personal experience I had recently with my ten year old daughter. She wanted to watch a movie with me recently, as she was visiting for a few days for Thanksgiving. I asked her if she wanted to watch one of my favorite movies, one which I thought she would really enjoy. She asked "What is it?" and I replied that it was one of the funniest, best acted movies ever made. It also is one giant quote generator, as it has some of the best lines ever penned into a movie. So we watched The Princess Bride. Now, my daughter is one to ask questions through the movie, just to make sure she is getting everything that is going on, but after ten minutes, she ceased asking anything at all, and by the time the movie was over, she had thoroughly enjoyed it. And for the rest of the weekend, random PB quotes came to her quick tongue, particularly during our chess games. (She thought she had me in checkmate with a brazen move that left me stunned... especially when the words "Checkmate... Drop Your Sword." came out of her mouth. When I realized what she had done and that I did in fact have one move, I took her Queen with my King, to the sound of "Inconceivable!") She asked if I had a copy of the movie on DVD that she could borrow, but alas, I didn't. When I returned the girl to her mom, I told her that our daughter had watched and enjoyed the Best Movie Ever Made. When she said "The Princess Bride", I asked how she knew, to which she smirked and replied "I was MARRIED to you at one point, remember?" She did have a point... Anyway, my daughter got a Princess Bride DVD for Christmas, courtesy of My Own Bad Self. Her mom said she'd already watched it three times by New Years. I had to wipe away a tear, just because the girl makes me proud.
Haven't seen this movie yet? Inconceivable! What, were you unemployed in Greenland? Or maybe mostly dead?

Seriously, this has to be one of the greatest 'lines movies' ever, by which I mean you will be quoting (indeed, spouting) lines from this movie for the rest of your life, once you watch it. Finally, you will understand why your friends say things like:

- You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
- Have fun storing the castle.
- Rest well and dream of large women.
- Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line

...and, of course, the classic:

- Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die!

Seriously, if you are reading this review trying to decide whether or not to watch this movie, see it... JUST SEE IT!
on November 26, 2016
A classic family romance movie that we absolutely love.

Its nostalgic and very funny. The Princess Bride is one of those movies that new generations must watch. I particularly love the marriage scene with the funny holy father that conducts the ceremony. Its what every bride does not want for her ceremony. "As you wish" is the greatest line in this movie and the adventure of finding true love is very exciting and captivating. Its definitely a great family movie that will last for years to come. Great characters with lots of comedy and wit. A must see movie for the entire family.

If you found our purchase experience helpful to you please click on the "yes' button below. Many Thanks
on March 26, 2016
This movie is a classic that I've been watching since I was a kid. Dang, that must mean I'm old, um, or a classic in my own right! Anyway, midlife crisis aside (lol) I love this movie. It is heart warming and cheesy. There are so many memorable lines. Want proof?

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

As you wish.

There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.

I'm not a witch, I'm your wife. But after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that any more.

It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

You're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen.

INCONCEIVABLE!

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder today. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam. And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva.

This is a wonderful family movie with some slightly scary elements. It's a funny, witty story about true love and fits into several different movie categories; Adventure | Comedy | Family | Fantasy | Romance.

Now for some warnings: There's a fair bit of action-oriented violence, including a torture machine, sword fights, quicksand, fire pits, a death by poisoning, rodents of unusual size, and giant shrieking eels that attack the characters. There's also drinking, some kissing, as well as a bit of language ("son of a bitch," "Jesus!" as an exclamation) and, as I mentioned above, a reference to a character's "perfect breasts."

The tone and humor of this movie lessens the impact of the above mentioned items but, as always, it's best to watch it yourself to determine if you think it's appropriate for your family.
on December 29, 2014
Absolutely, one of my very favorite movies of all time. "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!" Many memorable quotes throughout this movie, including "As You Wish". This movie is great for the whole family. The kids get the lighter parts and the main storyline and the adults get the more "adult" humor that is very much rated PG. It has a wonderful story beneath the "story" meaning the grandparent is telling this tale to his grandson that seems to not care about it at all. As the story goes on the grandson becomes so involved he must know the ending! So many life lessons throughout the story and so many memorable characters that are so intelligently written that you cannot, not love this movie! Definitely one of my top 10 of all time.
on February 9, 2017
I never watched it before one of my friends was talking about how he watched this movie at least ten times. When he found out that I never watched it, he told me stop everything and watch it. So, I found it Amazon. I thought that it was very a entertaining comedy with action and memorable characters. I may watch it again.
on April 28, 2015
Not only is the Princess Bride a wonderful film, it has held up well after 25 years. The light-hearted romp through Goldman's storytelling has one of the greatest swordfights in film history, a story of true love, pirates, giants, adventures, the fire swamp, revenge, and villains of great character. Rob Reiner took Goldman's favorite book and made it into one of my favorite movies. Could watch this over and over again. The best of the DVD extra tracks are the interviews with cast and Reiner 25 years later to tell tales about the making of the movie. Great stories about traveling to locations all over Britain, the gentleness and large capacity of Andre the Giant, sparks between newcomers Cary Ewles and Robin Wright, and how Cary and Mandy Patinkin learning swordfighting to an extreme level. The minor characters (Billy Crystal for great laughs) and wonderful villains really make this movie. I had a DVD of this and the quality was terrible. Get the Blu-Ray 25th Anniversary Edition - it's worth every penny for a wonderful classic.