The Princess and the Pirate
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs|| |
|New from||Used from|
May 18, 1999
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
|Format||Closed-captioned, Color, NTSC|
|Contributor||Brandon Hurst, David Butler, Everett Freeman, Bob Hope, Tom Kennedy, Stanley Andrews, Don Hartman, Victor McLaglen, Hugo Haas, Allen Boretz, Melville Shavelson, Walter Slezak, Maude Eburne, Virginia Mayo, Walter Brennan, Marc Lawrence, Sidney Lanfield, Melvin Frank, Adia Kuznetzoff, Curtis Kenyon See more|
|Runtime||1 hour and 34 minutes|
Bob Hope is in top form in this Technicolor parody of pirate pictures, doing his best vaudeville shtick as an inept performer trying to save princess Virginia Mayo from the evil clutches of governor Walter Slezak and pirate Victor McLaglen. It's all ridiculous fun, of course, but if you're a fan of Hope, you never tire of his self-effacing gags and double-entendres. His out-of-place show biz jabs were always clever, and they're all the funnier in this period setting--particularly the Bing Crosby jokes. But Walter Brennan nearly steals the film as a wacky pirate scheming to steal buried treasure, and tattooing the map on Hope's chest. Yet the two best routines are when Hope tries to conceal his chest while taking a bath with Slezak, and when he tries to impersonate McLaglen as "the Hook." --Bill Desowitz
Unfortunately, the film element used for this DVD edition shows signs of color fading, but it doesn't detract from Bob Hope's distinct brand of entertainment. --Bill Desowitz
- Aspect Ratio : 1.33:1
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer : No
- MPAA rating : NR (Not Rated)
- Product Dimensions : 7.5 x 5.38 x 0.6 inches; 3.2 Ounces
- Director : David Butler, Sidney Lanfield
- Media Format : Closed-captioned, Color, NTSC
- Run time : 1 hour and 34 minutes
- Release date : May 18, 1999
- Actors : Bob Hope, Virginia Mayo, Walter Brennan, Walter Slezak, Victor McLaglen
- Dubbed: : Italian, Spanish
- Subtitles: : English, Spanish, French
- Language : English (Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo), Italian (Dolby Digital 1.0), English (Dolby Digital 1.0), French (Dolby Digital 1.0), Spanish (Dolby Digital 1.0)
- Studio : Hbo Home Video
- ASIN : 0783115296
- Writers : Allen Boretz, Curtis Kenyon, Don Hartman, Everett Freeman, Melville Shavelson
- Number of discs : 1
- Best Sellers Rank: #297,306 in Movies & TV (See Top 100 in Movies & TV)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Walter Slezak always a great villain, Victor McLaglen as the booming Hook, Virgin Mayo as the princess with the Great Walter Brennan as the ship's idiot Featherhead. Brennan was truly talented. He could play a role like this and just as easily portray a cold killer as he was in My Darling Clmentine. This is just a great movie.
the person responsible for its presentation on DVD?
Several scenes are out of focus and colors are unsteady and fade
in and out. It is obvious that the print utilized was a well used
copy and had not been previewed. The sound is also not reproduced
well and volume must be set very high to get the most out of the mono soundtrack. If this is the best that can be done it was a
waste of time and effort. The Theatrical Trailer looked and sounded much better. Very disappointing that no background or insights are
provided with this movie either.
Top reviews from other countries
DVD La Princesa y el Pirata ist schon an meine Adresse.
DVD Film ist perfekt, neu, sprache ist Englisch und Spanish. Diese Film ist sehr interessant, im hauptrolle ist Hugo Haas.
Diese Film ist historisch.
Ich danke Ihnen vielmals fur diese Film.