Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

10,192
Size: 72-Pack|Style: Colored Pencils|Change

Showing 1-10 of 9,619 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 10,192 reviews
on August 20, 2015
I bought this 150 set of Prismacolor pencils before about 2 weeks now and did some drawings .
so first of all it is AMAZING soft , blend easily and the result is great . about the breaking issue honestly I sharpened many colors of the set many times and it didn't break not even once .

a tip before you start using your set take a hair dryer and try to move the heat all over the pencils then leave them for 15 to 30 minutes to cool down . this way you will avoid any breaking issues while sharpening your pencils .

I definitely recommend prismacolor pencils for anyone who loves to draw
review image review image review image
1919 comments| 769 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Here is what the 72 count set of colors looks like... Unfortunately, I didn't think of taking a picture before I bought 3 more pencils individually. The ones with the check marks in front of the set were the 3 additional ones that I bought. These are great for layering and shading. I bought a 36 count of the Prismacolor Verithins for darker lines. They work well together and each one has it's own purpose. I'm not an artist just an adult that has picked up coloring before bedtime to relax. I only wish that I would have bought one of the larger count sets since I am always looking for additional colors.
If you are having challenges with sharpening them there is a you tube video about it and how you should always turn the pencil, not the sharpener, in the same continuous direction. Don't be wobbly or rotate back and fourth. There were even explanations on how many you should put into an electric sharpener and then manually sharpen one because they overheat and break the leads! Even to follow up a couple of colored pencils that have been sharpened with a graphite one to lubricate the gears again! Wow, I had NO Clue why electric sharpeners seemed to sometimes work and then not.. It makes perfect sense now! (Very important to know if you have an entire set that needs to be sharpened like the Verathins... )! There were also recommendations regarding pencils that have leads that seem to be broken within, warm them up in the sun a little bit before you sharpen.. You'll have a whole new solid lead from within on e the wax melts together.. Problem Solved!
I've included a picture of the Verathins 36 count set and a 48 count set of Marco Raffine for anyone curious of the differences. There are pictures of the 50 count Prang set vs the 50 count Crayola set on the 50 count Prang review of mine. I provided a picture of the colors in the 132 count set in the last picture. The entire template is colored, just some of the colors aren't showing up well in the picture. FYI
review image review image review image review image
1212 comments| 807 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2015
This is a great set of colored pencils, especially for artists.

* If you're a professional artist that requires multiple shades of one color, the set of 150 colored pencils is for you, especially if you are working on people's portraits. This set has so many variations of yellows, blues, reds, orange, greens, browns, creams, etc, that it's difficult to distinguish the difference from one shade to the other. For example, this set has 12 shades of gray, so unless you're a professional artist, chances are you will not use them all.

* If you're not a professional artist but you want a set of amazing, great quality colored pencils for school, arts and crafts, coloring books, or any other project, I recommend purchasing a smaller set. I believe that a set of 48, or at the most 60 colors, is more than adequate. Prismacolors are easy to blend so by combining colors you'll be able to achieve the colors you need/want.

* If you purchase the 48 or 60 color set and you want a color not in the set, Prismacolor Premier Soft Core Colored Pencils are also sold individually, so you can buy any additional colors you need.
It is less expensive buying a few additional colors, than buying the big set and not using 30-40% of the colors in the set.

*** If yo want to save money, review the 2 pictures I posted and you'll notice there's not much variation between some colors ***
review image review image
1111 comments| 765 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
My world is now colorful. Colors that are rich, gorgeous, and exciting to behold. I am totally new to coloring and to buying colored pencils as a grown adult. And I must say, all the research led to the Prismacolor brand being #1 and while it was also the most expensive, I decided I deserve to have the very best pencils since I didn't when I was little and would have loved to color. Well, I am GLAD I splurged on moi!

These pencils are of the highest quality. They come in a gorgeous box, stacked up 3 high, and well organized. I do wish the plastic base level of each set of pencils was of harder more durable material, but eh. It works. There are no duplicate colors, just shades of similar colors. The outer box is beautiful, durable, and high quality.

I was also able to use the Prismacolor pencil sharpener with these pencils. It was fine, not the greatest match of pencil to sharpener, but I'm still experimenting on that front.

When you color with these, you apply just enough pressure as if you were writing. The color comes out rich and beautiful. Loose powder from the pencil will come off but it's minimal, blow it away and move on. All the colors are gorgeous. I noticed also that the color is as close as it gets to the pencil color itself.

Below is the first use of these colors in one of my favorite Adult Coloring books by Blue Star. The creative energy emerging from using the pencils and coloring in peace is a feeling you would want to repeat. Enjoy and don't go cheap when it comes to your art and creativity. I LOVE Prismacolor.

Update: March 12th
I am soooo frustrated with Prismacolor pencils - the lead BREAKING again and again after sharpening using their own CRAPPY pencil sharpener, and also another one, which leads me to believe it is the pencils themselves. I spent 20 minutes sharpening pencils tonight and they broke over and over. I'm reducing my rating to TWO-star from what I had hoped would be a permanent raving FIVE star. If you can't sharpen them long enough to use them, what good are they?!

Update: July 19th
I'm going up to 4-star rating on the Prismacolor pencils again, why? Because the issues from March were ENTIRELY the fault of the Prismacolor CRAPPIEST-EVER manufactured pencil sharpener. I am shocked they are risking their brand with such a piece of garbage but alas, the pencils are good. I bought 3 new pencil sharpeners. Here's are the 3 sharpeners that I recommend and use all the time: Portable Battery Operated Electric Pencil Sharpener Best for Office School Teachers or Coloring as well as Laneco Heavy Duty Electric Pencil Sharpener, Battery Or Adapters Operated, Including Replacement Blades, Great For Classroom, Office, School, Kids, Adults And High Volume Use and last but not least, my most favorite: X-Acto Model KS Table- or Wall-Mount Pencil Sharpener (1031)
review image review image review image review image review image
44 comments| 221 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 18, 2016
I am very sad. I have used prismacolors before and never had the problem I am having with this set. The packaging was fine but as I started (on work I'm getting paid for, or maybe not since I can't finish it) the first bit of the pencils were fine. Upon further use and some sharpening, I found out the color on the inside was absolutely shattered. I'm leaving a picture where you can see how much was wasted and that it's not just broken but fragmented. I used the sharpener that hasn't given these problems before either. Maybe better packaging could have been used, but I am very disappointed that I had to wait so long for a defective product.
review image
22 comments| 208 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2015
To address various things I see coming up in other reviews: I ordered these and just got them. NO DUPLICATE COLORS in my box (not even black or white; I did receive metallic gold and metallic silver), no visibly broken pencils, no damaged pencils (well, okay, *one* had some dents on one part, but no big deal). NO EXTRAS like color blending sticks (nor did the product description promise any, at least not at the time I made my purchase). Package had adequate protection/padding (lots of those bubble-wrap blobs), and they came in just six days.

As for the quality of the product, overall... I know from prior experience that PrismaColor Premier pencils are great. They blend well and look beautiful.

Unfortunately, they do have the problem of the core breaking too much, which is frustrating. I'm not sure it can be avoided, though, since they are soft core pencils, after all. To me what's worse is when one of the cores is off center, and it's just a disaster trying to sharpen it, as the lead keeps breaking AND big chunks of the wood keep splitting off. These look alright in that respect but of course I can't be sure yet. And that's rare, anyway (maybe 1 in 30 pencils is like that). If you want something harder, try the Verithin. I don't think the occasional broken core means the pencils are a bad product, and especially not when they're been shipped.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 404 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2016
I love prismacolor premiers but I ordered the 132 set and there's a bunch of off center also I got a couple of contaminated pencil that has specks of different pigments in it.. Also I got like 5-6 pencils that have crack/splitting on the wooden case.. I ordered replacement and see if this any better quality wise.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2015
I did not expect that it will be such a big difference between Prismacolor and different brand pencils... They are very smooth and quality is just amazing! First photo different brand, second prismacolor pencils.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2016
With all due respect to the glowing reviews for this product, I must respectfully weigh in here. I've used Prismacolor Premier colored pencils for the past 25 years. Having recently purchased a large set for my older daughter on Amazon, I can say with 100% confidence that this brand has declined STEEPLY in quality. I compared my old set of 72 with her new set, and even being considerably older than my own child, the original Prismas are distinctly higher in quality. Her new set came with SERIOUSLY off-centered leads, wooden shafts that are either cracked or completely different colors from one half to the other, and most concerning, the cores in many of the pencils seems to be waxier and clumps/flakes no matter what we do. I even found one pencil stamped with a misspelled color name; not a deal-breaker in and of itself, but clearly another indication of the level (or lack thereof) of quality control.

I believe that many of the higher reviews for this product are from before the company began cutting corners...a search online will quickly reveal that cracked wood, broken leads, off-centered cores, and other issues have been present for several years now. I'm not new to these pencils; I know every trick in the book for sharpening, warming the cores, and handling them with care. Notwithstanding, when the product arrives damaged (after I paid for overnight shipping to reduce the amount of jostling/handling they'd otherwise receive), it's disheartening at best.

I contacted Prismacolor directly about this issue, and was told that if I sent them photos of some of my damaged pencils, they would send me a return mailing label with which I could send back the set. And then I could wait seven to 10 business days, as another set was sent from Mexico to Tennessee, and then ultimately back to me. While I appreciate the offer to replace them, I see no point in going through all of that in order to get the same product AGAIN, this time with additional transit concerns and no guarantee that the pencils would be any better than what I currently have.

There's no disputing that Prismacolor has chosen to make some changes to their production, be it in quality control, materials, manufacturing, or all of the above. Their steep decline in pricing reflects that reality; a 72-count set used to run more than $1 per pencil, and now sells for half that price. I almost NEVER write reviews on Amazon, but felt strongly that if someone could avoid my costly mistake it would be worth it; maybe if more people did the same, the people manufacturing Prismacolors would bring back the "Premier" that once made them such a great product.
33 comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2015
If I had it to do over, I do not know that I would purchase these pencils from Amazon, not even sure if I would purchase these pencils over another brand. I bought mine for "coloring" and leisure use - so it was a rather large recreational investment. After about a week of usage, I began to realize that many of the pencils, in my box at least, are defective. At least 15 of the pencils in my box have wooden shafts that are splitting lengthwise, It is not severe, but, very noticeable. At least 5 of the pencils have severe lead breakage issues when they are sharpened and the leads are falling out - they were not dropped on the floor or misued. The quality of the wax is pretty bad in about half of the pencils - they do not write normally - the wax globs on the paper and flakes off the end of the pencil instead of making any kind of smooth lines, these same pencils will not hold any kind of a sharpened point. I have to use a blender stick to press the fallen off wax into the paper..... A look at the non sharp ends of may of the pencils shows that the lead hole is quite off center. About 50% of the pencils are great. As for the rest, I feel like I got a box full of factory seconds. This is one Amazon purchase that I am definitely not happy with. I've contacted Prismacolor but they do not have the best reputation for customer service, from what I have read, perhaps I will be surprised. Since this is not an item that is really returnable after you have been using it for a week and figured it out to be defective - I've had to sharpen two pencils so much, the ones that have the worst defective leads that keep falling out - they are already half as short as they came - I do not know if I would by an expensive pencil set from Amazon again. Have included an example pic of the typical pencil shaft crack issue present. Also a pic of the off variety of placement of the lead holes - it makes a big difference when you go to put a point on the pencil if this is not in the center............ This is a lot of money for "second" quality merchandise.
review image review image
4949 comments| 414 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse