Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 68 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 161 reviews
on November 15, 2016
Very good read. Needs to be reread as there is a lot of information. Also it helps to read Victor Frankel book first which I did not do. A big problem with a lot of these books is they have exercises which are hard to follow through when reading on a kindle. If the book is going to be studied which it should then I suggest getting a hard copy (maybe used) and the kindle version to really get the most out of the book.
on December 31, 2012
Profoundly powerful and practical. Written in straight forward language. The author presents a logical and essential explanation about the fundamental importance of "meaning" in one's life. On a personal level, it has sparked me to reopen the long closed vault which has held my unrequited call to purpose and meaning. Better late than never I guess.

Give yourself a chance to regain meaning and purpose in your life. Listen to your heart while you read this book.
on November 17, 2013
I've never before so enjoyed, and found extremely valuable, a book that some might categorize as "self help." Other books suggested by friends have tended to be fluffy or not very pragmatic in approach.

This book can provide the means to completely turn your life around. Meaning can be found in all things and readily sweep away the normally permeating dissatisfaction with life. But this book is realistic in its approach and not some sort of cure. Life has ups and downs, but you can take charge and navigate it with grace.

I particularly like the "stickiness" of the content; I found myself applying the book's principles in my life without having to memorize them, or from having performed extensive exercises. The principles are logically laid out and simply ring true.
on January 10, 2015
Excellent nuts and bolts book on logotherapy. This was exactly what I was looking for after reading Frankl's Man's search. I will keep thus book on my Kindle and work through it time and time again until I no longer am a prisoner of my thoughts.
Enjoy!!!
on October 19, 2014
Prisoners of Our Thoughts is aptly named and Pattakos takes the reader to that understanding by deftly drawing on Viktor Frankl's philosophy and writing on the importance of looking for meaning in life.

Pattakos' main focus is to relate Frankl's philosophy to the modern day workplace, which for many of us is the main moral battleground we experience on a daily basis. My biggest takeaway was the image of a maze in which we are searching for meaning - in contrast to the two other main 20th century philosophies of human motivation: Power and Pleasure.

Pattakos stays very true to his understanding of Frankl's life and work, so in essence this book is a re-reading of Frankl's work within a "modern" context. That came as a surprise to me, but by the end I appreciated his deference to the inspiration for the book.

It would be a good idea to read "Man's Search for Meaning" if you haven't done so already.
on July 10, 2010
We live in fragile times where we are bombarded with bad news from so many fronts. Americans fear unemployment, loss of their homes, and the lack of funds for retirement. They also worry about loved ones serving in a war on two fronts. It is easy to see why people are asking, "Why me?" and "Why now?"

Alex Pattakos' new edition of Prisoner's of Our Thoughts could not have been published at a better time. While not a panacea, it does provide an excellent guide to finding meaning even in these troubled times. Using Viktor Frankls' life-changing work, Pattakos provides practical advice on how to actually find meaning through our work and in our lives. He offers timely examples of how these techniques make a difference in all types of work and life situations.

We are all busy. However, I urge you to find time in your schedule to read the second edition of Prisoner's of Our Thoughts and try his suggestions. Your life will be more meaningfilled if you do.
Eileen E. Morrison, EdD, MPH, LPC
on June 23, 2017
Buy this now. Fantastic book. Invaluable insight. Highly recommended especially if you are struggling with over thinking things, anxiety - especially in the work environment.
on March 25, 2017
brand new excellent condition. thank you
on April 17, 2011
I don't want to merely repeat what many others have already said in their 5 star reviews of this powerful and important book. Let me keep it short and to the point. This is one of the most meaningful books I have ever read and it sits in an honored place on by shelf next to The Power Of Now (Ekhart Tolle) and The Myth Of Freedom (Chogyam Trungpa).

This is not merely warmed over Victor Frankl. Of course you should read Man's Search for Freedom and other books by the master. But does this take away from this book? Not at all. Prisoners of our Thoughts uses the principles of logotherapy as developed by Dr. Frankel and puts them into a logal progression for the reader to digest and internalize. It's easy to read a book, enjoy it, be moved by it, and then forget it 10 minutes later. This will not happen with this book and it is due to the fact, at least partially, that the material in the book has been taken from a spiritual genius and reformated into a powerful learning experience.

Our entire lives are, in reality, merey quests for meaning. The meaning we attribute to our lives, and hence the very quality of how we live, is up to us and does not depend on our external circumstances. Do yourself and those around you a big favor and make this book your owner's manual for practical successful living.
on February 6, 2014
Everyone should read this book and then re-read it. Simple yet deep. I have gifted this book as well but will not give away my personal copy. Enjoy!