Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 162 reviews
on October 19, 2014
Prisoners of Our Thoughts is aptly named and Pattakos takes the reader to that understanding by deftly drawing on Viktor Frankl's philosophy and writing on the importance of looking for meaning in life.

Pattakos' main focus is to relate Frankl's philosophy to the modern day workplace, which for many of us is the main moral battleground we experience on a daily basis. My biggest takeaway was the image of a maze in which we are searching for meaning - in contrast to the two other main 20th century philosophies of human motivation: Power and Pleasure.

Pattakos stays very true to his understanding of Frankl's life and work, so in essence this book is a re-reading of Frankl's work within a "modern" context. That came as a surprise to me, but by the end I appreciated his deference to the inspiration for the book.

It would be a good idea to read "Man's Search for Meaning" if you haven't done so already.
on August 2, 2013
Then you'll enjoy this book. I'm a raving fan of Victor Frankle's Man's Search for Meaning. It might be the most powerful secular text I've ever read. Freud proposed maximizing pleasure & minimizing pain. Adler talked about being attracted to power. Frankle believed in the importance of meaning. Alex Pattakos was Frankle's apostle & keeps this torch burning.
on May 4, 2014
Pattakos takes Frankl's work and applies it to the workplace. And the core message of Frankl comes through:we cannot control what happens to us but we can control our reaction to it. He spreads various exercises through the book to help the reader understand the meaning embedded in each and every experience. A short book and well worth the time.
on June 17, 2016
When Tony Robbins recommends a book like this one, you get it and keep it as a reference once you've read it.
on January 25, 2014
A complex subject written in a simple manner . Makes assimilation and absorption an easy process. Concepts if applied has the power to redefine your space under the sun.......I liked it and most impressed by the title of the book as well. A word we use often is that of title and little did I know a book has been written on the same words!
on July 10, 2016
Excellent guide to Frankl's understanding of cognitive theory
on May 31, 2013
I loved it! It is does follow along the lines of the "Secret" and other such books. The basic premise is change your thoughts in order to change your life. I personally feel that at some point or another in our lives we need to read a book like this and start implementing some of these ideas. Especially with the way the economy has been the past few years.
on April 8, 2014
In our society, where a broken fingernail can ruin our day, this book puts so much into perspective. Well written, easy to read (and re-read), emotive and heartbreaking and yet, very encouraging.
on December 5, 2012
This is one of the most great books about the late Dr,Victor Frank, I recommend a 100% to everyone. There's no word that can tell how great is the teachings about our life in this book. Thanks Dr.Frank for my inside transformation after I had read this book.
on May 30, 2014
Great reading for introspective exercises & motivation for changes in our lives while experiencing the storms of circumstances. If meaning and self transcendence controlled our lives, individual & collective, we would live in a better world.