Other Sellers on Amazon
The Private Life of a Masterpiece: The Complete Seasons 1-5
Deal of the Day: "M*A*S*H: The Complete Series + Movie" on DD
Today only, save big on this M*A*S*H bundle, which includes all 11 seasons of the hit television show and the feature film. This offer ends at 11:59 p.m. (PT) on Wednesday, July 27, 2016. Learn more
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
This is the exciting type of information you would want to know if you went strolling through a museum. Instead of zipping past a piece of art, you'd know to stop and what to look for. Now this may sound dull and dry, but this series (again, at least the few episodes I saw...and rewatched) is amazingly addictive because of its casual narrative, brimming with tons of fascinating information.
I've ordered this set and can't wait to soak it all up. Highly recommended. You'll learn so much.
Disc One: Renaissance Masterpieces
* "Sandro Botticelli: La Primavera"
* "Paolo Uccello: The Battle of San Romano"
* "Leonardo Da Vinci: The Last Supper"
* "Pierro della Francesca: The Resurrection"
Disc Two: Seventeenth Century Masters
* "Rembrandt van Rijn: The Night Watch"
* "Johannes Vermeer: The Art of Painting"
* "Diego Velazquez: The Rokeby Venus"
Disc Three: Masterpieces 1800-1850
* "Francisco Goya: The Third of May 1808"
* "Eugene Delacroix: Liberty Leading the People"
* "Katsushika Hokusai: The Great Wave"
Disc Four: Masterpieces 1851-1900
* "Edouard Manet: Le Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe"
* "James McNeill Whistler: Arrangement in Grey and Black: Portrait of the Artist's Mother"
* "Edvard Munch: The Scream"
Disc Five: Impressionism and the Post-Impressionists
* "Auguste Renoir: Dance at the Moulin de la Galette"
* "Vincent Van Gogh: The Sunflowers"
* "Georges Seurat: A Sunday on La Grande Jatte 1884"
Disc Six: Masterpieces of the Twentieth Century
* "Pablo Picasso: Les Demoiselles d'Avignon"
* "Gustav Klimt: The Kiss"
* "Salvador Dali: Christ of St. John on the Cross"
Disc Seven: Masterpieces of Sculpture
* "Michelangelo: David"
* "Edgar Degas: Little Dancer Aged 14"
* "Auguste Rodin: The Kiss"
I agree with the others who've posted comments here. This is a wonderful series, full of engaging information on each piece it examines.Read more ›
I'm no art major, but I have taken a couple art history classes, and this went into details that put a psycho-social connection to a painting, rather than just studying the brushwork. Each episode feels like a chapter of an artists story that you get a glimpse into, if only for a blink of an eye.
BBC as always does a fantastic job of putting it all together. They've got several art historians who review the paintings, so you listen to a few interpretations. I also appreciated how they show the modern day take of the painting.
I've yet to finish them all, but so far I'm very happy with my purchase.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The DVD's arrived in perfect condition. I have greatly enjoyed watching them!Published 16 days ago by David M
Very well done series and anyone of any level of art knowledge can gain something from the video series. I have yet to view any that I did not enjoy. Read morePublished 1 month ago by EyeLoveGlasses
Really interesting, I watch it during my conference and my high school students have walked in and begged me to let them watch!!!!!!!!!!Published 7 months ago by donnagary
Great series. I love all of this background into the world's best paintings;Published 9 months ago by Stephen Nelson
HAVE NOT WATCHD IT YET BUT THE ERIES RAN ON ONE OF TH FIRST HD CHANNELS YEARS AGO. The Gallery Channel. Read morePublished 11 months ago by Dachzz
I really loved watching this the first time. Lots of content and depth that makes the purchase of a DVD set worth every penny. Read morePublished 13 months ago by Walker Shaw